Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #4,531 of 19,142
I agree vintage tube gear tends to sound VERY euphonic / warm / lush / "tubey". I know my Fisher KX-100 does, although I like it very much.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #4,532 of 19,142
Nice amp, congrats. I love the vintage tube sound. It's different from most modern day tube amps. I also second the vintage klipsch recommendation. Especially the heritage lines. But you can always start off with something like the kg-4. Many people over at AK and the klipch forum prefers them to the heresy's because they have much more bass. They are much smaller as well and would work great in a small or even medium size room. And those things just love tubes. But it you wanted something higher up, you couldn't go wrong with any of the heritage line klipsch. Wish they still made them. I hate all currently produced klipschs.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,533 of 19,142
A follow-up to my post last week; the AKG K1000's I bought arrived, and are hooked to the speaker out of my Marantz 2220.  I am perfectly pleased with them on the 2220.  I do have the SAC KH-1000 coming, so I'll be able to compare a purpose-built amp to the vintage gear, but I'm really pleased with the sound from the Marantz.

Shame they were so expensive, but worth it so far.  I hope to listen to them a lot.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #4,536 of 19,142
Yup, if it's really in good shape, that's a great price on a very nice receiver.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4,537 of 19,142
Thanks claybum and skylab for the reply. I am debating whether or not to get it. I found out about the seller's full name on his email address, and upon the search the very first result of it, was a deal with him gone bad. Not from craigslist, but from a forum similar like ours but different hobby. That raised the flag for me big time. Plus the drive to the seller's place is an hour, so I have been back and forth with it. Thinking that I do not want to get scammed on. sigh.....I'll think more on this, knowing the price is good, is somewhat tempting though, although in my heart, I have a feeling, based on what I read on the bad deal with the seller previously, that this just doesn't feel quite right.......

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #4,538 of 19,142
Ask him to have it hooked up so you can verify it works well before you pay.  That is one of the advantages of CL.  I always ask that.  If they refuse, then for sure you should pass.

Apr 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4,539 of 19,142
I am really tempted by this Soundesign TX 4372 for $40, but I really don't need it at all. I blame this thread for that.
http://images.craigslist.org/5La5Kf5M53M33Ne3Hbc3g80efa94143da1cd1.jpg[img]

On another note (sorry for the slight hijack) I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on [url=http://www.head-fi.org/t/604991/help-me-choose-some-cheap-vintage-floorstanding-speakers]this thread[/url] since you guys are active, and you really seem to know your vintage hifi stuff.

Carry on,
Thanks
Pete

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4,540 of 19,142

Quote:
I agree vintage tube gear tends to sound VERY euphonic / warm / lush / "tubey". I know my Fisher KX-100 does, although I like it very much.

Back in  the late '60's and '70's we called it a "fat" sound.  Some of us (in high school and college, etc.) preferred the leaner & cleaner sound of the then new solid state receivers and amps--at least in the price ranges we could afford or hope to afford in a few years.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4,541 of 19,142
I have a vintage JVC J-S10 integrated amp, I am unsure what the power ratings for it is regards to how many amps and ohms per channel it can pump into speakers, what I do know is that it has a speaker at the back saying 180W, but I found a site saying its rated for 2x20W @ 8ohms. The sound? It puts all my tube amp's to shame when powering my LCD2's. It even makes my CD950 (bit picky and hard to drive) shine. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,542 of 19,142

Quote:
Nice amp, congrats. I love the vintage tube sound. It's different from most modern day tube amps. I also second the vintage klipsch recommendation. Especially the heritage lines. But you can always start off with something like the kg-4. Many people over at AK and the klipch forum prefers them to the heresy's because they have much more bass. They are much smaller as well and would work great in a small or even medium size room. And those things just love tubes. But it you wanted something higher up, you couldn't go wrong with any of the heritage line klipsch. Wish they still made them. I hate all currently produced klipschs.

i actually just scored a pair of Forte II's
holy crap i never knew 12 watts could sound that loud and that good

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,543 of 19,142
Tubes clips gently, with nice-sounding distortion. If you really want to be surprised, audition the old Antique Sound Labs' famous Wave8 cheapie monoblocs. Flea power, yet you can crank 'em and you KNOW they're clipping like crazy yet they still sound good. The power of tubes.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4,544 of 19,142

Quote:
Judging from the first 100 pages, this thread is mainly about TOTL receivers from the 70s, but I'll hazard a question that stems from the bottom of the 80s barrel.

There have been quite a few posts about mid level Pioneer receivers from the 70s and early 80s.  There have also been posts on mid range Yamahas, although that might have been on the ortho thread.  A couple of people on the ortho thread have Yamaha CR-620s and like them.  That might even be the BOTL for that line up.  I've never seen a CR-420. I have seen a CR-440 and CR-240, so they also may have existed in the CR-x20 line as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back