Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 20, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #3,616 of 19,145
Earlier I posted a question addressed to Ardgedee regarding the SQ he experienced with his Scott 222 integrated tube amp as I recall he indicated he hadn't the time to hook it up previously.  Am reposting again in hopes he will offer up a review of sorts for such a venerable relic of days long gone. 

I was given a Scott 222-B by a co worker and took it in to an audio repair shop in Seattle called Northwest Audio to get it properly turned on and tested and hopefully restored.  Walked in and promptly, embarrassingly wet myself.  The place was stocked floor to ceiling, from the front window back to the rear of the store with mainly vintage stuff all awaiting repair.  I bet many of them have been there for months due to unobtanium parts.  I had previously read customer reviews and nearly all of them were 5 stars for the customer service and rareified knowledge the elderly owner had about the ancient days of audio yore he was willing to tell anyone standing still long enough to listen...sho' nuff, I got my 10 minutes of audio history about the Scott.  Turns out the store owner personally knew another equally ancient audio geek across town who had worked at the Scott factory back in the 60's and is still alive  to repair Scott tube gear these days.  My unit is hopefully going to be turned over to him to be brought back to life....Imagine, I am just 2 steps removed from somebody who actually worked at the factory, who'd thunk that?

Funny, those six degrees of separation....

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #3,617 of 19,145
New members on the shelf, a wonderful TDA 1541 player Philips CD 350 and smooth sounding Yamaha CR-1020 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #3,618 of 19,145
Hey Wotts,

What size and price range were you thinking on the vintage speakers for that Marantz? Let us know and we will make some recommendations 
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3,619 of 19,145
Quote:
Hey Wotts,

What size and price range were you thinking on the vintage speakers for that Marantz? Let us know and we will make some recommendations 
biggrin.gif

x2, maybe some vintage Klipsch, JBL, Bose
tongue_smile.gif
, Yamaha, B&W, etc.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #3,620 of 19,145
As you can see, I'm a big fan of vintage klipsch speakers. They come in all shapes and sizes. I don't care for any klipsch speaker made in the last 15 years or so. But their heritage line sounds outsanding imo. And they sound really good with the warmish sounding vintage gear made back in the day such as your marantz

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3,621 of 19,145
NICE.  I've thought often of buying some Heresey's, but never have.

I did just buy off eBay a pair of "NOS" Infinity Kappa 6's.  This was their smallest 3-way Kappa (famous for its ribbon EMIT tweeter).  Some guy in Texas is selling several pairs he claims to be NOS for $559 a pair shipped.  If they really are NOS that will have ended up being a smoking deal.  I hope they will arrive mid next week.

That will probably mean my HPM-60's have to go, but that's OK.  I mostly use the HPM-100's anyway.  

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #3,622 of 19,145
Quote:
As you can see, I'm a big fan of vintage klipsch speakers. They come in all shapes and sizes. I don't care for any klipsch speaker made in the last 15 years or so. But their heritage line sounds outsanding imo. And they sound really good with the warmish sounding vintage gear made back in the day such as your marantz

From bottom to top: Kenwood 9600, Kenwood 1010, Maranz SACD player, Scott tube amp
biggrin.gif

** That's without looking at your profile with your equipment list, if its on there, haven't even bothered to look.

Also where are the LaScala's? When you get them, throw the rest away
eek.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #3,623 of 19,145
Quote:

I did just buy off eBay a pair of "NOS" Infinity Kappa 6's.  This was their smallest 3-way Kappa (famous for its ribbon EMIT tweeter).  Some guy in Texas is selling several pairs he claims to be NOS for $559 a pair shipped.  If they really are NOS that will have ended up being a smoking deal.  I hope they will arrive mid next week.

That will probably mean my HPM-60's have to go, but that's OK.  I mostly use the HPM-100's anyway.  

These look pretty nice! I was looking into a pair on my craigslist, or on a trade some time ago, but i passed and i was always worried that those drivers shown on the ebay listing were not the original drivers.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #3,624 of 19,145

Quote:
New members on the shelf, a wonderful TDA 1541 player Philips CD 350 and smooth sounding Yamaha CR-1020 
smily_headphones1.gif

CR-1020..........nice!
How much power does that output into 8 ohms?
Would love to hear your thoughts on the tuner?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3,625 of 19,145

awesome set-up! wood floors though are my worst enemy. reflections drive me crazy when they resonate off walls or floors. that's why i'm glad i stopped being lazy and finished my room. sounds ''dead'' now where your own voice gets vacuumed out and hear ''silence'' the moment you step in.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #3,626 of 19,145

Quote:

Thanks! If they are nos, yes that would be killer. But even if they are not, and are mint, that's still a good deal.

Quote:
From bottom to top: Kenwood 9600, Kenwood 1010, Maranz SACD player, Scott tube amp
biggrin.gif

** That's without looking at your profile with your equipment list, if its on there, haven't even bothered to look.

Also where are the LaScala's? When you get them, throw the rest away
eek.gif

Almost right, except the the scott is a fisher. As far as lascalas go, I'm pretty sure I would since that's exactly what I did once I got the forte II's. I really love the epics a lot and was more than satisfied with those. But the scalas are just way too big for my listening room. The kg4's were a good change of pace from them and sounded very different. But the forte II's had all of the strenghts of both and were on another league once I replaced the tweets with Bob Crites. My next step is to replace the crossovers with the crites and auto transformers. But right now they sound just lovely with the fisher.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #3,627 of 19,145

Quote:
awesome set-up! wood floors though are my worst enemy. reflections drive me crazy when they resonate off walls or floors. that's why i'm glad i stopped being lazy and finished my room. sounds ''dead'' now where your own voice gets vacuumed out and hear ''silence'' the moment you step in.

Yeah they sound better in my family room, but I have my home theater with a 9.2 psb setup in there. So with 11 speakers already, you know that's out of the equation. I had the epics set up in my office with is only 10x11 and even with the room being too small, they still sounded better in there. But my office is much too small for the forte ii's and in the room they are in now, they still sound by far better than anything I've ever owned. My wife said the difference between the fortes and the psb t65 in my my home theater setup is one set sounds like speakers and the other sounds like you're there. And I agree. It sounds like sounds are coming from everywhere but the speakers.

Sorry for derailing my own thread, and my apologies to Cifani090. These comments should have been made in his vintage speaker forum.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3,628 of 19,145

Quote:

I could look at that photo all day long - simply beautiful! If only I could be a bachelor again - just for a while...
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #3,629 of 19,145
It's crowded here today!!

@Moodyrn
You have a lot of horns!! As seeing a Aker's motto: Horns love tube, bass loves SS. You may try biamp the Klipsch with your tube and 2325.
I had KG 4.2 before, but I found the bass is too loose. My 79 Heresy has better controlled bass and sounds very sweet. Yeah, I think horn sounds very sweet!!

@Skylab,
Congrats to your Infinity Kappa 6!! Hope you can post some impression in sister thread of speakers!!

As for the vintage speakers, other than members recommendation, I just couldn't hold myself to post my opinion.
ADS or A\D\S, the flat response and great image make them very good to pair vintage Yammy as monitor. But they sound well with other SS too.
But, I have one favorite to recommend: Allison (every Allison is fantastic)
If you can find one with original drivers, go get them and you will know why I push them!!! But most Allison can't be repaired, especially the tweeter are hard to come, and most them will have broken grills too.

Here is my new acquirer, 1991 Denon PMA 860

It's not vintage, but it still has discrete design. And can drive my AKG K 340 well. It has modern sound, clean, clear and has "source direct" function. Man Denon PMA are really good stuff in 80's.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #3,630 of 19,145

Quote:

I just finished reading Floyd Toole's book, "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms."

I've been into home audio/hi-fi since the 70's and thought I understood reflection, bass modes, and speaker dispersion and placement principles. Turns out I didn't. I highly recommend this book to anyone setting up a listening room.

He'll change your mind Rex - I guarantee it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back