Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #3,586 of 19,143
It does use an unusual power supply, but it isn't just the Sunfire.  You would be hard pressed to find ANY power amp that uses a bigger power Trafo than the SX-1980 
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #3,587 of 19,143

Quote:
@Moodyrn,

Have you gotten your 2325 yet?

Yesterday I exchanged my SX-1050 for a 2325 without wood case. Do you happen to know how the FM stereo works of 2325? The FM stereo lights in my 2325 keeps on and off even it was tuned in. When light goes off, the sound becomes unbalanced. And I have to restart the receiver to get light on again?

Yeah, I listened to it briefly just to test out all of the inputs, and tuner. Now it's taken apart, and I'm waiting on the parts to build my diy led lamps, and some really nice power supply caps. I'm almost finished with the cleaning, but been really taking my time with that since some of the parts are coming in from CA to AL. I didn't use an antenna when I tested the fm. So when I tuned in to a station it didn't come in clear enough for the stereo light to light up. But I should have it completed this weekend and I'll see if I get the same results as you and let you know.

How do you like it compared to the panny?

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3,588 of 19,143

Quote:
It does use an unusual power supply, but it isn't just the Sunfire.  You would be hard pressed to find ANY power amp that uses a bigger power Trafo than the SX-1980 
L3000.gif

I'll go you one better. There isn't a lot that uses transformers even as big as the one in the 1250 either. There are a few, but you really have to pay the piper for them.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #3,589 of 19,143

Quote:
Yeah it's funny, there are a lot of great integrated amps out there, too, but for some reason they haven't appealed to me as much.  Not sure why that is. 

Scottiebabie was a big proponent of integrateds.  Wonder what became of him.  I miss his posts in this thread.

As do I. Getting into vintage gear can be as much a leap of faith as anything else. Guys like Scottiebabie was as generous with his knowledge as his enthusiasm  and made it a pleasure to be on Head-Fi and get into vintage gear.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #3,590 of 19,143
Well, time to fess up.  I was a bad boy this weekend.  There was a Pioneer SX-1010 on the Chicago Craigslist that had already been completely restored/rebuilt by Mark The Fixer of AudioKarma fame.  I had to sell my stock Sansui 9090 in order to make room, but since I prefer to have restored vintage units, it seemed like a good trade-off, and I do have a completely restored 9090DB anyway 
biggrin.gif

The SX-1010 is bigger and heavier than I expected.  Nice looking, too, although I prefer the looks of the all-silver Pioneers better.  Sounds great though! Warmer sounding than the 1250 or 1980.  

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,591 of 19,143
Ha, can't believe you got one. And yes it's no slouch, and even bigger than my 2325. It was pioneer's original monster receiver and the one that started all. I really loved that thing. I have a very good feeling I'll be going back to it again. The way it effortlessly drove the he-6 out of the headphone out was simply amazing. Unfortunately I found the sound to be just a little too clean, and a tad analytical. But it sounded fantastic with the d7000 I had at the time. I've been saying for a while that the sx1010 is the sweet spot in the sx line up. It's a lot cheaper than the 1250 because it's so over looked, but it's even prefer by some over at AK and one other member here to it.

When I first got mine I also mention how big and heavy it was. Weighs just a little more than my 2325.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #3,592 of 19,143
Yeah, I thought you would get a kick out of it 
L3000.gif

Right now it's hooked up to my HPM-60's. I need to try it with the 100's so I can really know how it sounds compared to the 1250 or 1980.  For sure the 1010 sounds good though.  Of course this particular 1010 will have a bit of its own sound, having been totally recapped and all.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3,593 of 19,143
Hey all,

I have a question about my vintage Hitachi IA-1000 integrated (I posted pics here a while ago). I've never really liked the headphone out on it. Otherwise it sounds really good matched with a pair of Dynaco A-25's. So last night I got a little curious and dug out the really badly scanned service manual because I've never really looked at the headphone circuit. Turns out it is just a pair of 220R/2w resistors tapped in between the output caps and the speaker selector switches (indiv. for A and B).

So with speakers this little amp has a nice warm sound with tight bass and a smooth top end. However, with headphones it has really loose flabby bass, sucked out midrange, and harsh highs. I'ver tried everything from HD600's, K701, orthos, Grados, etc. and while I get different sound sigs none of them sound good.

Now the question is, is there anything I can do? If I remove the resistors I will essentially be the same as running off the speaker taps. Could it be that the output caps are too old or not up to the job with headphones? (I recapped the entire amp, but have not located appropriate output caps yet-2200uf/90v electrolytics bypassed with smaller films)

Or should I just let it go since I really don't need to use headphones with this setup in the living room?

Any thoughts?

-Dogwan

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #3,594 of 19,143
I personally think the 1010 looks nice, but Iike you, I also prefer the looks of the xx50/80 models. When it comes to looks, I would put the pioneers second right behind the marantz. But that's jmo. But I'm really interested to see how much you like it after you spend some time with it and how you would rate it compare to your other two pioneers.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3,595 of 19,143

Quote:
Well, time to fess up.  I was a bad boy this weekend.  There was a Pioneer SX-1010 on the Chicago Craigslist that had already been completely restored/rebuilt by Mark The Fixer of AudioKarma fame.  I had to sell my stock Sansui 9090 in order to make room, but since I prefer to have restored vintage units, it seemed like a good trade-off, and I do have a completely restored 9090DB anyway 
biggrin.gif

The SX-1010 is bigger and heavier than I expected.  Nice looking, too, although I prefer the looks of the all-silver Pioneers better.  Sounds great though! Warmer sounding than the 1250 or 1980.  

Buy SX-828 and SX-3900, you'll have all TOTL of Pioneer receivers listed on silverpioneer.
I think Pionny SPECs are calling for you. Congrats!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3,596 of 19,143
Thanks Meewoo.  My vintage receiver collection is already ridiculous enough! No more are allowed 
redface.gif
 Just isn't any room.  They're all well enough contained in racks now that I'm not in too much trouble with the wife...but one more, and I would be! And if it weren't for the fact that I work from home and my office is in the attic, I would even be allowed as many as I do have.  Most of my vintage gear is in the attic, including the man-cave vintage rig I've posted pictures of here many times.  I'm allowed to put pretty much anything I want up here as long as its neatly housed.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #3,598 of 19,143

Quote:
When it comes to looks, I would put the pioneers second right behind the marantz. But that's jmo.

Did you already forget your KR-9600? It looks like Marantz too. IMHO, the best looking receiver is Setton RS-660, simple, elegant but classic. (Someone may say it gayish with light pink on glass, hey it was designed by European.)

I haven't listened to 2325 through speakers yet, the DC is 160mv and 240mv
mad.gif
.(I have to download the service manual from hifiengine and reset DC later.)
It has typical Marantz sound through the headphones, hope to hear your impression soon. I just checked the production year of 2325 (74-76), it seems that 2325 is competing with sx-1010 and kr-9400 back then.(which Sansui receiver was produced at that time frame? 9090?) From the watts, Marantz tops Pioneer and Kenwood in 74 and 75.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3,599 of 19,143
Skylab, Sx-828 just a middle size one, you can easily put it on your R2R. And Sx-3900 has women pleasing fluscan, you can buy one as gift for your wife!!

I read a lot that AKers' women love fluscan lights. I recall one Aker trade his sx-3900 for a Sansui G-20000 or AU-11000 (not sure) since the owner's wife loves the lights. (what a trade!!!)

Do we need a womanizer vintage list???

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #3,600 of 19,143

Quote:
Hey all,

I have a question about my vintage Hitachi IA-1000 integrated (I posted pics here a while ago). I've never really liked the headphone out on it. Otherwise it sounds really good matched with a pair of Dynaco A-25's. So last night I got a little curious and dug out the really badly scanned service manual because I've never really looked at the headphone circuit. Turns out it is just a pair of 220R/2w resistors tapped in between the output caps and the speaker selector switches (indiv. for A and B).

So with speakers this little amp has a nice warm sound with tight bass and a smooth top end. However, with headphones it has really loose flabby bass, sucked out midrange, and harsh highs. I'ver tried everything from HD600's, K701, orthos, Grados, etc. and while I get different sound sigs none of them sound good.

Now the question is, is there anything I can do? If I remove the resistors I will essentially be the same as running off the speaker taps. Could it be that the output caps are too old or not up to the job with headphones? (I recapped the entire amp, but have not located appropriate output caps yet-2200uf/90v electrolytics bypassed with smaller films)

Or should I just let it go since I really don't need to use headphones with this setup in the living room?

Any thoughts?

-Dogwan

I'd swap out those old resistors for Holco or TKD CM2 series (2 W 1%)  or Caddock MP925 (2.25W) type resistors. The caps you are talking about are you sure those are on the outputs ? Sound like a mains (PSU) filter cap to me. At any rate Partsconnexion has what I suggested as well as the larger electrolytic values as well as decent film caps for bypass work (the Vishay/Roderstein MKP-1837's are terrific for bypassing duty and the price is right). If you have a DMM check the values of the stock resistors (in relation to their color code bands). They might have drifted a fair bit. The mushy bottom end is one of the signs of dried up or leaky electrolytic. Most quality film caps will last a long time but they can be easily bettered with today's offerings (IMO anyway). As far as the expense for upgrading the headphone output the actual cost should be well under 40 dollars (including shipping). Might be fun to customize the head amp output........

Good luck.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Wow Sky you are on a roll these days with the vintage kit. Did the seller happen to have a internal pic of his rebuild by any chance. I'd love to see what they did. My own vintage Pioneer unit is still out on loan to a buddy (until I get a part for his full time amp and get it up and running like it should once again).  Cool collection of vintage gear you have going. You need a bigger house
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back