Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #3,406 of 19,142
Quote:
Hey did you see this from that site?  Paper model of the Pioneer model SD1100!  http://audioklassiks.de/wordpress/?cat=28

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, but no, i did not see that! Very cool!

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #3,407 of 19,142
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #3,408 of 19,142
Dec 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #3,409 of 19,142
Meewoo:

Your link to that vintage gear list by Chuck is much appreciated, but I must admit major befuddlement: not so much as one Pioneer item made his list...makes me wonder why?  We all can't be that wrong nor could someone with as much experience listening to vintage gear not at least say Pioneer was in the same league as other comparable quality items us faithful readers have sufficient consensus in saying are actually as good or better than some items on that list.

Just got my Marantz 2275 and it is indeed in most excellent condition...no scratches whatsoever, but not completely NIB tho.  Will report how it fares with my HP stablemates.

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #3,410 of 19,142
Like with everything, people have their favorites and biases with vintage gear.  I like both the classic Pioneer and Marantz sounds, although they are quite different.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #3,411 of 19,142
Hey Now,

Yeah, I have a couple of vintage Nikko receivers (7075 & NR-815) and they have a sound signature between the Marantz and Pioneer. I also have a 2275 and am hoping to get an SX850 here shortly. Love these old units. I will have to post some picks of my vintage receivers.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3,412 of 19,142

Quote:
Meewoo:

Your link to that vintage gear list by Chuck is much appreciated, but I must admit major befuddlement: not so much as one Pioneer item made his list...makes me wonder why?  We all can't be that wrong nor could someone with as much experience listening to vintage gear not at least say Pioneer was in the same league as other comparable quality items us faithful readers have sufficient consensus in saying are actually as good or better than some items on that list.

Just got my Marantz 2275 and it is indeed in most excellent condition...no scratches whatsoever, but not completely NIB tho.  Will report how it fares with my HP stablemates.

Like Skylab said, personal preference is different.

The Chuck guy didn't list any Pioneer, he might never heard any good one or he just didn't like them. We don't have to treat his list as authority or something most important.  I found his list has reference value since he only listed the equipment he had audited and there's no obvious commercial bias. You might notice that he only list a few Japanese companies like Accuphase, Luxman and Kenwood Tuner. He might not like Japanese stuff or he just don't have chance to listen to others (he didn't list whole list that he had audited).

I treat his list like this: I found he listed SAE IVC and I like it. And I found Hafler DH 500 in his list, I think  I will have  70% chance to like  Hafler DH 500 also. The other 30% chance may be my personal preference to decide. We will never know what we like if we didn't try. His list gives us just a good reference.

Hoe you can share your impression with your new acquired equipments!!! Most all, enjoy music!!!
(BTW, your Adcom 555 II isn't on the list, but it has rave review across AK. Only complain seems lacking the protection circuit.)

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #3,414 of 19,142

Quote:
Lots of ss gear. Where are all the owners of old tube like HH Scott, Fisher, Sherwood, Eico at?

There are a couple of us here that have fishers - X100-B, and various iterations...  great sounding headphone out on mine.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #3,416 of 19,142
I'm another proud owner of a fisher x100c. Fantastic tube speaker amp, and headphone amp is much better than a wa6. Maybe not quiet wa22, but it's close. I would have to hear them side by side. They have excellent output transformers. Love the blue aura that emits from the 7868 tube. It's not a gimmicky blue light that's installed like with some cheap tube amps.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,417 of 19,142
There are fewer different kinds of vintage tube receivers/integrated amps, and there are less of them to go around. By comparison, there are a lot of 70s receivers still in working condition, and more being found every week.

The old tube amps are also underpowered by modern standards. In my opinion you can often get better sound quality (not just quantity, but quality) for your dollar with recent tube gear compared to fully refurbed vintage tube gear. By comparison, old discrete transistorized equipment can provide excellent bang for the buck compared to modern solid-state counterparts.

I've got a Scott and a Fisher and love them, but I could also be talked into trading them in for one single good integrated amp of more recent design, if the right one was on offer...

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3,418 of 19,142

Quote:
There are fewer different kinds of vintage tube receivers/integrated amps, and there are less of them to go around. By comparison, there are a lot of 70s receivers still in working condition, and more being found every week.

The old tube amps are also underpowered by modern standards. In my opinion you can often get better sound quality (not just quantity, but quality) for your dollar with recent tube gear compared to fully refurbed vintage tube gear. By comparison, old discrete transistorized equipment can provide excellent bang for the buck compared to modern solid-state counterparts.

I've got a Scott and a Fisher and love them, but I could also be talked into trading them in for one single good integrated amp of more recent design, if the right one was on offer...

Yeah, I have a friend who builds his tube stuff for fun and really enjoys the process. And he buys famous model schematic for reference. If you can restore old tube, I think you can build one yourself with good power supply and cap. My friend always use good power supply and high gauge power cable, this stuff are not always seen in old tube stuff.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3,419 of 19,142

Quote:

In my experience with my fisher I would have to disagree about value. Keep in mind I paid 250.00 for mine that was partially restored(you don't have to pay megabuck for them). Also the cost to refurbish one isn't that expensive. Like I said earlier, just the headphone out on mine sounds better than a wa6 which is more than twice the price. It's close to a wa22 which is almost ten times the price. No where will you find a modern amp that could even come close to the sound of the fisher for even double of what I paid for it.  And that's just talking about the headphone out. I like it as a speaker amp even more. You will have to spend 4 figures to beat it. The only amps I've heard that were better were in excess of 4 figures. The value in vintage tube gear is just as high if not higher than ss gear. There's a reason why they have been skyrocketing in price.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3,420 of 19,142
I also have a Fisher X-100, and I love it.  However, finding vintage tube amps in good operating condition is more challenging than the vintage SS stuff.  I love the Fisher, but I got mine recapped - a tube amp with bad caps is a much bigger problem than a SS one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back