Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #3,346 of 19,142

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of it..am going to have to ask what exactly is the connection sequence? Source to preamp to power amp then using that cable to connect back into the preamp to access the headphone out?  What on earth would be the reason for such a design topology if not to get a better sonic benefit or to enable the unit to power both the headphone out jack as well as the speakers? (some designs don't enable you to attenuate both and pre-empts the headphone out if the preamp-amp bridge pins are removed). 

As for DIY-ing that sorta kind of cable...someday.  Much to learn...

Are you saying I should be cautious about using a receiver as a preamp to power an external amplifier besides acting as a preamp?  It was suggested by a reputable dealer to use my NAD 7225PE to power the Adcom so, I simply switched in the HK730 into the place of the NAD and connected it up the same way.
Gonna have to download an HK730 manual and find where the verification information might be and whether I am screwed...though I can't imagine the volume control not controlling the amp section of a receiver or an integrated...

Congrats to your Marantz!!! You were definitely bitten by vintage bugs!!
beerchug.gif

Now let me explain how the Citation 11 works. First all, 11 has same design as all pre-amp plus the speaker selector, speaker binders and headphone port. The headphone port is not opamped, so it will not produce any sound if you don't have the cable in my pix. You connect other components to Citation 11 using RCA cables as usual. So if you don't use headphone port, you can connect your speaker to you power-amp.
If you want to use the headphone port in 11, you have to have the cable connected. So you conduct the power-amp's power back to pre-amp to drive headphone port or the speaker binders. So your headphone port power totally depend on your amp plus a resister impedance. Suppose the HK 730 and 11 have same resister, and suppose your HK730 can provide 45 wpc and 4.5 watts for headphone port, then 11 and Adcom 555 combo can have 20 watts on headphone port. The headphone port power of 11 totally depends on your power-amp. The idea of Citation 11 design also make connecting easier. You can hide big, hot power-amp somewhere and wire the speakers on the back of 11. 
As for NAD, HK to Adcom, I think you are fine since you just unplug the u-link between pre-amp and main , then connect pre-amp to Adcom. If you only use NAD or HK as pre-amp and Adcom as power amp, I don't think you can get any sound from headphone ports. Now you realize how smart Citation design is!

Quote:
Enjoy your new toy! I love my 2275. Brings back memories of my college days...

To answer your question, no that is not what I was saying.
Actually the inverse, if you were to use the receiver's amp section with something else driving it. (like a DAC)
Oh, and I know nothing about HK, Nad and Adcom. Carry on!

@wharfrat
Yes, that's exactly what livewire means.
You were asking direct link to power-amp topic inspired by Rex. Rex was talking about Yamaha having this design, but not all stuff have it. You may see some power-amp have the volume controller, you are safe to connect your source (CD player or PC) to the power-amp if you turn the volume to minimum. But it's not safe to connect your source to main in of your NAD or HK 730 (by-pass the pre-amp part). My Luxman R-113 and R-117 have a direct cd function which makes every sources connected to CD inputs by-passes the pre-amp part but volume controller. Rex was talking this kind of function on Yamaha.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #3,347 of 19,142
Well I recently made some drastic changes to my vintage receiver lineup. I've sold two pairs of my vintage speakers(klipsch kg4, cf-2). So that meant I had no room for either my pioneer sx1010 or kenwood kr-9600. I still have my forte II(never getting rid of those) and they have better synergy with my fisher since they really love tubes. I thought about keeping the kenwood because it sounds so great with my he-6, but I really couldn't justify keeping something that massive for just a headphone amp.

So I decided to start over and go the integrated route to save on space. So what I did last night really doesn't make any sense, but I saw it too good a deal to pass up and had no idea I would win that auction with the max bid I place, but surprisingly I did. So I just scored a marantz 2325 off ebay of all places for 372.56 plus 80.00 shipping. I've never been interested in purchasing vintage stuff off ebay because of the risk of it getting damaged during shipping. But at 454.00 shipped, it was worth the risk. It's not mint but it's in pretty decent shape.

It also comes with the wood case which is even more rare than scoring a 2325. It has some scratches, but that don't bother me since I'm going to refinish it anyway to make it look like new. The seller even have a return policy. So at worst I would be out of the 70.00-80.00 to ship it back, but that's still more than worth it to me.

Dec 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #3,349 of 19,142
Yeah, I had my sights set on either a marantz 1152 or sansui au-717. I had planned to completely move on from receivers since I don't listen to fm much and to save space, but the chance to own something as legendary as the 2325 at a reasonable price was something I couldn't resist. Also even If I had to completely reburbish it, it would be about the same price as the "previous" going rate just for one in average  condition. I saw one about a month ago that needed some very serious work for about the price I paid for mine.

The seller claims everything works and he also used contact cleaner to clean the pots and switches. The only issue is one bulb out and the scratches on the wood cabinent. I was really surprised it didn't go for much more than that. I was chuckling with my wife when I was watching it and said for laughs, I throw a 401.76 bid on it, but I'm sure I will go for 650.00 within the last 20 seconds. Don't know why it didn't but it sure worked out in my favor.

Now the thing that scares me is, I might not like this as much as the receivers I just go rid of. Both the pioneer and the kenwood sounded world class to me. But my main purpose for wanting something with a different flavor was for powering my he-6. As from experience they synergize well with warmer sounding amps. The pioneer was neutral, the kenwood(still the best I've heard them to date) is slightly warm. So even if the kenwood, and pioneer are better overall, it would still be worth it if the marantz mates with my he-6 better.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #3,353 of 19,142

Quote:
That looks absolutely stunning. Was it refurbished or is it just mint. I would be shock if it's not refurbished and the seller took that good of care of it all of these years. That's definitely a dime piece.

From what I know, he is the second owner and it has not restored/refurbished.  I popped open the cover and looks amazing clean, not even much dust too.  The best part is sound quite good with LCD-2 for the limited 10 minutes I have with it.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #3,355 of 19,142
Awesome 2265B! I recently picked up the wood case from CL and it looks exactly like your pictures :) good to know that the LCD-2 sound good from them. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #3,356 of 19,142

Quote:
Awesome 2265B! I recently picked up the wood case from CL and it looks exactly like your pictures :) good to know that the LCD-2 sound good from them. 

It is slightly slow and a little dark compare to beta22 but never the less it is the best amp that I tried for less than a grand.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #3,357 of 19,142
Quote:
From what I know, he is the second owner and it has not restored/refurbished.  I popped open the cover and looks amazing clean, not even much dust too.  The best part is sound quite good with LCD-2 for the limited 10 minutes I have with it.

Congrats, it looks very nice! Be careful though because those original units you can throw alot of money at them.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,358 of 19,142

Quote:
Congrats, it looks very nice! Be careful though because those original units you can throw alot of money at them.

I checked out the caps and all things that I'm familiar with and they looks have a lot of life left.  My EE degree finally has some use...

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3,359 of 19,142

Quote:
Well I recently made some drastic changes to my vintage receiver lineup. I've sold two pairs of my vintage speakers(klipsch kg4, cf-2). So that meant I had no room for either my pioneer sx1010 or kenwood kr-9600. I still have my forte II(never getting rid of those) and they have better synergy with my fisher since they really love tubes. I thought about keeping the kenwood because it sounds so great with my he-6, but I really couldn't justify keeping something that massive for just a headphone amp.

So I decided to start over and go the integrated route to save on space. So what I did last night really doesn't make any sense, but I saw it too good a deal to pass up and had no idea I would win that auction with the max bid I place, but surprisingly I did. So I just scored a marantz 2325 off ebay of all places for 372.56 plus 80.00 shipping. I've never been interested in purchasing vintage stuff off ebay because of the risk of it getting damaged during shipping. But at 454.00 shipped, it was worth the risk. It's not mint but it's in pretty decent shape.

It also comes with the wood case which is even more rare than scoring a 2325. It has some scratches, but that don't bother me since I'm going to refinish it anyway to make it look like new. The seller even have a return policy. So at worst I would be out of the 70.00-80.00 to ship it back, but that's still more than worth it to me.

Wow, congrats!  Never know what's gonna happen on e-pay...  you stole that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back