Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #3,301 of 19,143

Quote:
In case anyone is looking for NAD service this place does it.  I've sent some inquiries to them and they seem to know the NAD line pretty well.  If you own a "PE" model and get the amp serviced they will mod the power supply for free removing the power restrictions the PE line imposes on its line.   

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/stereorepair117/NAD.htm

They are also very big in Pioneer,Sansui and Marantz rebuilds at a reasonable price. They will overhaul a 1250 for 375.00

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,302 of 19,143

Quote:
They are also very big in Pioneer,Sansui and Marantz rebuilds at a reasonable price. They will overhaul a 1250 for 375.00

My only hesitation to have the caps and power supply modded in my 722PE is that I really like the way the 7225PE sounds right now and it's been my experience more often than not that mods can change the character of a piece of gear into something that might technically be better but no longer has that sound one preferred. It is tempting though.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #3,303 of 19,143

Quote:
My only hesitation to have the caps and power supply modded in my 722PE is that I really like the way the 7225PE sounds right now and it's been my experience more often than not that mods can change the character of a piece of gear into something that might technically be better but no longer has that sound one preferred. It is tempting though.

I agree about the caps. I had the moron tech here swap out a cap in the SX980 and it sounded bad so I made him put back the cap. I talked to those people and they really know their stuff on vintage gear and there is a guy on audio kharma named Mark the Fixer that does Pioneer stuff but he has an 18 month wait. He charges 250.00 plus parts which he said most times is not over 50.00 If the piece you have works dont bother. My SX650 I paid 35.00 and when it goes I am trashing it.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #3,304 of 19,143

Quote:

If you like the way it sounds.......leave it alone.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3,305 of 19,143
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but would anyone know the difference between the Marantz 2240 and the Marantz 2240b?  My interest in them is whether the 2240 non-b could drive the HE-6.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3,306 of 19,143
I just picked up a 1972 Pioneer SX-828 in very nice condition.  Powers up great, but I'm barely getting sound from the headphone output.  Haven't tried speaker outs.  The seller told me this had been sitting unused for quite a few years and I'm guessing I need to get pots cleaned and new capacitors at a minimum.

Is that NAD service place a good place to use or are there others anyone could recommend other good options for getting an old Pioneer serviced?  Since I'm going to pay anyway, I definitely want higher grade components used and quality work done.  This was a flagship model in 1972, so I'm hoping it will sound very nice once the necessary parts are replaced.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3,307 of 19,143
Quote:
I agree about the caps. I had the moron tech here swap out a cap in the SX980 and it sounded bad so I made him put back the cap. I talked to those people and they really know their stuff on vintage gear and there is a guy on audio kharma named Mark the Fixer that does Pioneer stuff but he has an 18 month wait. He charges 250.00 plus parts which he said most times is not over 50.00 If the piece you have works dont bother. My SX650 I paid 35.00 and when it goes I am trashing it.

That's the thing, $350 to fix it? Thats ridiculous, you'd have to buy it for less than $50 to make money on it. It should be $150 maxx!

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #3,308 of 19,143

Quote:
I just picked up a 1972 Pioneer SX-828 in very nice condition.  Powers up great, but I'm barely getting sound from the headphone output.  Haven't tried speaker outs.  The seller told me this had been sitting unused for quite a few years and I'm guessing I need to get pots cleaned and new capacitors at a minimum.

Is that NAD service place a good place to use or are there others anyone could recommend other good options for getting an old Pioneer serviced?  Since I'm going to pay anyway, I definitely want higher grade components used and quality work done.  This was a flagship model in 1972, so I'm hoping it will sound very nice once the necessary parts are replaced.

Here is a guy near me ( I cannot believe my luck).  I'm going to ask him to refurbish my Sansui AU 505.  You might want to look over his site.  From what I have heard he is well respected and is very familiar with the quality of many brands of caps.

http://audiodoctor.biz/

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #3,309 of 19,143

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but would anyone know the difference between the Marantz 2240 and the Marantz 2240b?  My interest in them is whether the 2240 non-b could drive the HE-6.

They are practically the same receiver. Both output 40WPC into an 8 ohm load.
The 2240 was released in 1974. The 2240b was released in 1976 and has
slightly better distortion specs.

The HE-6 will sound like poo-poo through the headphone jack.
You would need to run it off of the speaker terminals for it to shine.
If one is not careful (as in too much volume) one could blow the transducers on the HE-6.
So start out with the volume at zero and the phones on your head.
Others have said the HE-6 pairs well with the Marantz 2275 & 2285 models, so the 2240 should do ok here.
Lastly, please note this is conjecture on my part. I have never heard a HE-6 hooked to a vintage receiver.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3,310 of 19,143

Quote:
That's the thing, $350 to fix it? Thats ridiculous, you'd have to buy it for less than $50 to make money on it. It should be $150 maxx!

Most of that 350 dollar charge is due to the labor involved ....it's not an easy job to pull all the caps (some resistors,diodes etc) from these older amps. They are not as modular in nature as the modern stuff. A complete rebuild of an amp can take anywhere from 4 hours to 2 days (2 x 8 hour days). It depends on what the tech finds once under the chassis lid. This is where learning to DIY pays off big time.

Peete.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #3,311 of 19,143
He speaks the truth.
As someone who has done this multiple times, I agree - two days work, easy.
I suppose a pro who has refurbed the same build amp (ie; Marantz 2XXX series) many times could cut down the time involved.
A good electronic tech dont make peanuts for his efforts.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #3,312 of 19,143

Quote:
They are practically the same receiver. Both output 40WPC into an 8 ohm load.
The 2240 was released in 1974. The 2240b was released in 1976 and has
slightly better distortion specs.

The HE-6 will sound like poo-poo through the headphone jack.
You would need to run it off of the speaker terminals for it to shine.
If one is not careful (as in too much volume) one could blow the transducers on the HE-6.
So start out with the volume at zero and the phones on your head.
Others have said the HE-6 pairs well with the Marantz 2275 & 2285 models, so the 2240 should do ok here.
Lastly, please note this is conjecture on my part. I have never heard a HE-6 hooked to a vintage receiver.

In bold-underlined text is exactly what I told him as well.  I get about 6 watts into 50 ohm via the speaker taps, and then it's then got about 4-5dB more headroom than my ZDT amp!

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #3,313 of 19,143
Currently, I have the SX-650 and D7000. And though my Denon's are really efficient, I'm curious to know what it would sound like running the D7000 from the speaker taps. Better or worse than the Headphone Out? And what steps would I need to take to protect my D7000's? Thanks.
popcorn.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #3,314 of 19,143
Hey, now!  You guys are kind!  Alot of good chatter on various topics of interest to me at the moment...sorta hard to figure where to begin...but want to honor the thread theme since some of the technical details are lurking under rocks elsewhere on the various forum threads, especially about using speaker taps with the Hifi-Man stuff.  Not that I understand it ("set DC offset zero to nil"? egads! woe is me...). 

I found RexAeterna's reference to bypassing the pre-amp section and using the power amp section in a "straight wire with gain" approach quite novel and it begs the question for me to ask for a response thereto: are you referring to accessing the signal produced by the power amp section through the headphone out jacks? (Wouldn't this even be possible?) I also want to know how does one "bypass" the preamp?  And on which Yamaha models is this best achieved if the sound source is the headphone out jack?  If the signal is flat, is it on the warm side of flat or more neutral like the Pioneer?

To reply specifically to a point earlier raised regarding Pioneer and LCD-2 synergies...I am pretty confident based on my own experience that the two would be and (according to Skylab earlier in this thread) are highly satisfying combos.  But the LCD-2s like power, so lower powered Pioneers are probably not as good picks as the SX-1xxx's and higher would likely be.

But to report on the headphone output of the NAD 7225PE.  The HK was connected to an Adcom GFA-555 mkII 200 watt amp to drive the 91db sensitive Dunlavy SC-IVs.  I switched it out and put in the HK 730...and noticed an increase in bass depth and control and a more layered soundstage....for reasons explained well by RexAeterna...the HK has beefier power supplies and probably a better preamp section than the NAD.
This was confirmed with respect to the headphone output as well; the HK simply had a better match with all my headphones than the NAD.  Simply tells me that overall, the HK is better built and has a different sound signature than the NAD..something I would call more "organic", "stomach-filling".

So far, so good...I think I am getting a better feel for how NAD, HK, and Pioneer gear sound like.  Now this leaves me with Sansui and Yamaha units to look at.  I am quite impressed with the HK sound (Pioneer SX-1250...oh, simply another league, no kidding..just don't expect it to go for less than $600 on eBay and thats being freaking lucky).  The "come hither" sound of the HK makes me lust for the siren-call of a Marantz....(I say with conviction that my wallet-shaped ship will crash into the rocks...the bidding on the Marantz' is absolutely nuts...$200-$300 price spikes in the 5 seconds before bidding closes...sheesh!).  I have lost a few bid chances of late for a mint Marantz 2285 and there is a busted 2270 being auctioned off at a dirt cheap price that, if repaired by the guys referenced above for the prices quoted, would be a steal as I would get brand new parts for the same price I would get a "used" good condition working 2270 for.  But my experience with the big SX-1250 makes me want to spring for a Marantz 2325 so I can put the 2325 (at 125 wpc and capable of handling lower speaker impedance loads, to address a point raised earlier) in the place of the HK740 to do the Dunlavys a deep-sea bass dive down the frequency spectrum.  I would then get rid of the NAD 7225PE altogether....

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #3,315 of 19,143
I am selling my Marantz as I prefer my Luxman for speakers due to its neutral sound, and since I've sold my HIFIMAN I have no need for the Marantz "warmth" and "punch" it provided for those  headphones. Plus I am interested in doing 5.1 or 7.1 so would really like to buy a new home theater receiver. At this time I am not willing to ship. Here is link to my local ad. Price is at higher end but I will lower as time goes plus Im negotiable especially for Head-Fier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back