Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #3,211 of 19,145
Yes, I hooked my ATI HDTV antenna with R-117. It works better than both my 350ohn T-shape with 75ohm adapter and powered Trek antenna. Trek can pick a lot of stations, but has more noise on strong signal stations (I am in the city).

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,213 of 19,145
I don't know the tech specifics of the antenna, but RS clean out  the antenna says something UHF and FM. And they have the coaxial connector, so I assume ti will work. They are definitely not antenna for digital signals, that's why RS put it on clearance. I don't know much about these things, so please correct me if I am wrong.
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW, which set up is your favorite, Yamaha ( forgot your high-end set up, are they C2 and B2?) or Sansui C&B 2000?

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3,214 of 19,145
Well,it is nice to get some FM stations indoors,especially if your receiver is not hooked up to a PC for internet radio.
Interesting that your ATI TV Tuner card antenna would be best for FM.
I hope Mr.Sneis looks at his rabbit ears for an FM filter before picking them up.

Regarding the 1975 Yamaha C-1 and B-1(160W),when matched to the 1976 Yamaha NS-1000 speakers it is THE nicest sounding vintage system I have assembled to date.
Next I would liike to say that I like music loud at times.
Here I feel the NS 1000's are king,one of the best small monitors ever built.
Uncommonly clear, powerful and dynamic,one of the very few speaker units besides high end JBL that sounds like real,live music and not a speaker box (relative to vintage).
Sound best with mids about 8 feet from your head (app. 45 cm off the ground).

Sansui units I zero in on are from 1975-1979,personal preference.
A CA 3000 Preamplifier and matching BA 5000 (300W) Power Amplifier is still a quest of mine.
I find that the separates are better sounding when all is up to spec.
The Sansui AU 20000 Integrated Amplifier is the combination of the CA 3000 Preamplifier and BA 3000 (170W) Power Amplifier.
The Sansui AU 11000 Integrated Amplifier is the combination of the CA 2000 Preamplifier and BA 2000 (110W) Power Amplifier.

Sansui volume circuits come on louder than the Yamaha.
I have to move Sansui Amplifiers (170W) off some speakers.
When the room is small,you will be blown away by a small turn on the volume control,which is louder than Yamaha.
In some cases I had to use the 10 db mute to achieve the sound I was looking for on the Sansui with some speakers (headphones too).

Until I try the Sansui CA 3000/BA 5000 combo with some JBL 250ti speakers,the Yamaha set rules the roost over here...

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #3,215 of 19,145
Do you find that using the 20 db mute takes away some of the fidelity? When Driving my HE-6's through the speaker taps of the AU-717 if I use the 20 db muting I think it slightly reduces the impact of the lows (after volume matching). Or I could be just hearing things
blink.gif

Quote:
In some cases I had to use the 20 db mute to achieve the sound I was looking for on the Sansui with some speakers (headphones too).

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3,216 of 19,145
Yes,on the Integrated AU 20000 (170W) I did not prefer to mute to get the volume control in line but you just couldn't get that nice,fine low sound one requires on certain tracks without hitting the switch sometimes.
My correction is the AU 20000 has 10db and 30db mute settings.The CA 2000 has the 20db only.

I want the amplifier to "get it" with the first quarter turn,headphones or speakers...
We both know that MUTE switch is really there to temporarily silence the amp without modifying the volume setting.
Plenty of headfiers will be hitting on the MUTE switch for some of their tracks,I'm sure.
Just as long as I don't have to do it often,I am OK with it.

That is why I love my separates,I can swap in a less powerful amplifier.
I still swear by the volume control of the CA 2000 Preamplifier or AU 11000 Integrated.
I am fortunate to have the option of moving to another amp to get the proper volume for a song.
The long answer to your question is yes,I felt that the mute did not deliver like an amp that wasn't switched or I wouldn't bother going to all the trouble of moving to another amp.
Really,you would need to sit down with two identical amplifiers and headsets and A/B mute ON and OFF.What are the chances,heh heh?

Heaven forbid if a toddler or just some dufus comes in your dark listening room while you have the headphones or speakers turned up HIGH and flips the MUTE to 0db,I have seen speakers jump in the air when that happens...

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,217 of 19,145
There are so many vintage receivers.  Just Marantz alone, so many models. I used to have a Marantz but forgot what model it was. 
What are some good (low) budget vintage receivers with good headphone out for a RS1i.  Looking for a warm vintage amp with good current to give it some bass for the Grados.  

thanks 

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3,218 of 19,145
I bought the Marantz 2275!

There are a few very very minor blemishes on the unit, but overall, I'd give it a conservative 9/10 for condition. The owner was right too, he said it had no distortion or noise, and it doesn't. I figured because he wasn't listening to headphones with it he would have missed it, but nope.. dead silent. It's so weird though, the receiver is the same size as my HK730, but it weighs almost twice as much!! If not careful, it can make my LCD-2s rumble a bit more than I'd like at higher output levels. What a beast this thing is. I'm going to give the outside a good cleaning now and I'll get around to cleaning the internals and fixing the broken lamp later. The gauge color is gorgeous.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #3,219 of 19,145
Btw, what does the tone mode do, anyone? Skylab?

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #3,220 of 19,145
Tone mode allows you to chose different points at which the bass and treble controls become effective, or turn the tone controls off altogether.

And congrats, the 2275 is an excellent receiver!

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3,221 of 19,145
Oh, alright. Thanks! Fiddling with it now, the receiver sounds best on 4k and doesn't want to play very nice on OFF. This 2275 has definitely bumped my HK730 because of the noise I'm getting in the left channel. Ahh well, once finals are over I'm going to town on 3 receiver internals 
biggrin.gif
 I'll probably just replace the 2275 lamp for now and may look to the LED upgrade later. This thing sounds great! So nice to have crystal clear sound. The HK was starting to drive me nuts.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3,222 of 19,145
Quote:
I bought the Marantz 2275!

There are a few very very minor blemishes on the unit, but overall, I'd give it a conservative 9/10 for condition. The owner was right too, he said it had no distortion or noise, and it doesn't. I figured because he wasn't listening to headphones with it he would have missed it, but nope.. dead silent. It's so weird though, the receiver is the same size as my HK730, but it weighs almost twice as much!! If not careful, it can make my LCD-2s rumble a bit more than I'd like at higher output levels. What a beast this thing is. I'm going to give the outside a good cleaning now and I'll get around to cleaning the internals and fixing the broken lamp later. The gauge color is gorgeous.

Very nice, is the right meter bulb out?

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #3,223 of 19,145
Yeah, it's out. I need to buy some bulbs, but I don't really know where to start, tbh. Looks like the TAPE 1 bulb is out too. Not much of a problem though 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #3,224 of 19,145
If you search eBay you will find the lamps you seek.  For the ones that are fuse-style and can just pop in and out, you might as well go straight to LED.  As for the ones that require soldering on the board, you have to decide if you are comfortable doing that, but that isn't simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back