Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 18, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #2,701 of 19,142
@MrQ

Defo' look forward to hearing your 1980 vs 2385 impressions - with both LCD 2 and HE-6's.

Happy listening.
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2,702 of 19,142
Mr. Q, big congrats, and welcome to the SX-1980 club. I still absolutely love mine. Such an amazing sounding piece of gear. Worth every penny, IMHO. Nice!

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,704 of 19,142
Now,I love my Pioneer but

Did you ever want to:
Punch a Pioneer in the nose?
Slap a McIntosh across the face?
Kick a Marantz in the rear?

Then you roll out the 1975 Yamaha C-1 Preamplifier and matching B-1 Power Amplifier,plug it in and enjoy the show.
Now,the word 'Vintage' is not automatically synonymous with high end or even mid-fi.
We can pay a lot of money for older gear,while that same money may purchase new and perhaps better performing equipment.
Outrageous prices for hi-end tube gear from the 50's and 60's,up to five times the original retail,leaves some people speechless.
For others,more often than not,some vintage pieces may be equal or even superior to the modern hi-end gear,as they try to assemble a system with synergy,free of listener fatigue.

Both new and vintage buyers will likely share the common goal of finding which models are the over achievers.
We are here in this forum thread because we like collecting vintage hi-fi and take pleasure in the way it sounds,despite the fact it may not measure up to an outsider's standards.
These are collector pieces,as well as being working audio electronics.

1975 and transistors,sit squarely in the middle of the transition between Valves and Microprocessors as conveyances of sound.
Valves (Tubes) were hot,chunky,used lots of power and were fragile.
Enter Transistors,where you needed Quantum Physics,or at least an understanding of how electrons worked,to design one.

Some AudioKarma Yamaha musings:

Quite a big step down from the C-1 to the C-2:
C-1 full of FETs (90) -> C-2 four FETs.

So when they introduced the B-2/C-2 combo was an all-FET:
- way too expensive,or
- not practical anymore for some other reason ?

The C-1 really seems to be a one-of-a-kind type thing.
Only the few people who have heard a C-1 and B-1 together had a chance to get an idea how different an all FET system (or Solid State in general) can sound.
These two devices (and especially the C-1) are in reality,exclusive.

So,get a spine in your shirt and some balls in your pants because owning a C-1 & B-1 pairing entails these ponderings:

"Do you own 25+ senile V-Fet transistors? No ? :no:
I do and it´s still like a nightmare to switch the unit on after day after day on the shelf, even if it was refurbished the year before.
It already chases me in my dreams...
Perhaps that explains a little bit my dark thoughts ..."

Audio capacitors often have a specified lifetime of typically 2000h at 85°C.
How many hours do you think your baby runs a year ?
If it´s > 2000h you should recap it at least every five years.
Dead caps may be the #1 reason of failures.
In the B-1, a dead cap then kills a pair of mostly unobtainable V-Fets ...

“They (B-1 & B-2) sound very good but the B-1 is larger in soundstage and has a silky smooth,fat sound.
I’ve never experienced listener fatigue from one.
Upon turning it on, you can actually hear the sound becoming magical after the big V-Fets warm up”.

My take on the the Yamaha

Ahh,the musings of the Invisible Yamaha Society,so similar to the Invisible Sansui Empire.
Does the Yamaha combo emasculate newer amplifiers,reducing them to the role of Chihuahua carried around in a rich lady’s purse,proving stressful for the newer amplifier owners?
No.But I wish it could.
You can move on,if you want to.
You can stay where you are,if you prefer.
You can can even go back if you wish.
Some people dedicate their lives to preserving – or recreating – the past.
If the planets offer an excellent chance to own the Yamahas,can you really reject your opportunity?
Whatever you decide,be wholehearted.The only ‘wrong’ thing you can do is be afraid of owning a FET Amplifier.
Truly an audio statement of the day,there is a reason the C-1 retailed for $1,800 and the B-1 for $1,600 in 1975.
Together,simply a high degree of euphony.Enough said.

This is my Yamaha C-1 & B-1,I'll up some better photos shortly:

click to supersize...

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #2,709 of 19,142
Quote:
Mr. Q, big congrats, and welcome to the SX-1980 club. I still absolutely love mine. Such an amazing sounding piece of gear. Worth every penny, IMHO. Nice!

A guy names Lee down in Evansville has a 1980 for sale for $1000 and he says it needs a few minor fix ups. He's going to get it fixed in Nashville, i was going to trade my fixed 1250 for it
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #2,710 of 19,142

Quote:
Now,I love my Pioneer but

Did you ever want to:
Punch a Pioneer in the nose?
Slap a McIntosh across the face?
Kick a Marantz in the rear?

Then you roll out the 1975 Yamaha C-1 Preamplifier and matching B-1 Power Amplifier,plug it in and enjoy the show.
Now,the word 'Vintage' is not automatically synonymous with high end or even mid-fi.
We can pay a lot of money for older gear,while that same money may purchase new and perhaps better performing equipment.
Outrageous prices for hi-end tube gear from the 50's and 60's,up to five times the original retail,leaves some people speechless.
For others,more often than not,some vintage pieces may be equal or even superior to the modern hi-end gear,as they try to assemble a system with synergy,free of listener fatigue.

Both new and vintage buyers will likely share the common goal of finding which models are the over achievers.
We are here in this forum thread because we like collecting vintage hi-fi and take pleasure in the way it sounds,despite the fact it may not measure up to an outsider's standards.
These are collector pieces,as well as being working audio electronics.

1975 and transistors,sit squarely in the middle of the transition between Valves and Microprocessors as conveyances of sound.
Valves (Tubes) were hot,chunky,used lots of power and were fragile.
Enter Transistors,where you needed Quantum Physics,or at least an understanding of how electrons worked,to design one.

Some AudioKarma Yamaha musings:

Quite a big step down from the C-1 to the C-2:
C-1 full of FETs (139) -> C-2 two FETs.

So when they introduced the B-2/C-2 combo was an all-FET:
- way too expensive,or
- not practical anymore for some other reason

The C-1 really seems to be a one-of-a-kind type thing.
Only the few people who have heard a C-1 and B-1 together had a chance to get an idea how different an all FET system (or Solid State in general) can sound.
These two devices (and especially the C-1) are in reality,exclusive.

So,get a spine in your shirt and some balls in your pants because owning a C-1 & B-1 pairing entails these ponderings:

"Do you own 25+ senile V-Fet transistors? No ? :no:
I do and it´s still like a nightmare to switch the unit on after day after day on the shelf, even if it was refurbished the year before.
It already chases me in me in my dreams...
Perhaps that explains a little bit my dark thoughts ..."

Audio capacitors often have a specified lifetime of typically 2000h at 85°C.
How many hours do you think your baby runs a year ?
If it´s > 2000h you should recap it at least every five years.
Dead caps may be the #1 reason of failures.
In the B-1, a dead cap then kills a pair of mostly unobtainable V-Fets ...

“They (B-1 & B-2) sound very good but the B-1 is larger in soundstage and has a silky smooth,fat sound.
I’ve never experienced listener fatigue from one.
Upon turning it on, you can actually hear the sound becoming magical after the big V-Fets warm up”.

My take on the the Yamaha

Ahh,the musings of the Invisible Yamaha Society,so similar to the Invisible Sansui Empire.
Does the Yamaha combo emasculate newer amplifiers,reducing them to the role of Chihuahua carried around in a rich lady’s purse,proving stressful for the newer amplifier owners?
No.But I wish it could.
You can move on,if you want to.
You can stay where you are,if you prefer.
You can can even go back if you wish.
Some people dedicate their lives to preserving – or recreating – the past.
If the planets offer an excellent chance to own the Yamahas,can you really reject your opportunity?
Whatever you decide,be wholehearted.The only ‘wrong’ thing you can do is be afraid of owning a FET Amplifier.
Truly an audio statement of the day,there is a reason the C-1 retailed for $1,800 and the B-1 for $1,600 in 1975.
Together,simply a high degree of euphony.Enough said.

This is my Yamaha C-1 & B-1,I'll up some better photos shortly:

click to supersize...

Hmm, caps rated at 2000 hrs at 85 C, will last much longer than 2000 hrs at normal temp.  

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #2,711 of 19,142
The B-1 will run hot if pushed.
If using Klipschorns then a watt is plenty,I try and stay with high efficient speakers.
I make sure this amp is tuned to spec and keep a close watch on diodes and capacitors,that's where it sits now,getting an annual check-up.
Like they say,if you listen more than 2000 hours/year at sane levels,perhaps consider recaps every five years,why let a cheap cap or .50 cent diode turn your amp into a doorstop while you track down a hard to find VFET...
Some even use a small fan like this to prevent the top enemy of electronics-heat build up:

Some amplifiers try to radiate the heat out of the top vents.
A cooling fan helps to pull that heat out and can keep electronic equipment up to 30 degrees cooler,extending the life of caps etc.

Ew! Old FETs.

I agree with this statement below that the B-1 has its own distinct sound:

My brother keeps bringing an amp over to do it in.
Every time I have to say, "I've heard enough!"
It just can't hang with the B-1 for what I'm looking for.
My Macs can't do it and so far a lot of other amps have come and gone too.
That's just my humble 2 cents.
Maybe if more people think the sound is lacking, there will be more available for those of us who have found the honey tree in the forest...

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,713 of 19,142

Quote:
Do it. You know you want to.
very_evil_smiley.gif

For some reason I thought you were in Europe.

I do want to! He wanted to get it fixed and sell it at his newly opened audio shape
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #2,714 of 19,142
5aces, love your hypererotic paean to the joys of VFETting. I'm with you all the way, including the terror of anticipating the day when the secondary power supply that keeps the VFETs turned off fails. It's already happened to me.

These are special beasts. I love mine.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #2,715 of 19,142
Thought you guys might be interested in this site that has scans of all of Radio Shack's catalogs.

Kind of interesting paging through the front sections of the catalogs from the late 60s through the early 80s. You can watch the ascendancy, heyday, and eventual decline of the stereo receiver.

It will also make Head-Fiers of a certain age weep with nostalgia for their lost youths. I'd say more but I've got something in my eye, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back