Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,236 of 19,143

Quote:
The Pioneer PL-630 was one of their best turntables.  They go for a lot more coin if you are willing to sell it.

Thanks for the info mythless. It plays good. It took a couple hours of spinning to get it where it would most things would work correctly every time.
I think it sat for a long time it could use a good service session if anyone can do that for this thing. 
It's a very nice looking item and it's heavy too!

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #2,239 of 19,143
I bookmarked this after my day long staring and reading session on vintage receivers yesterday. It may be helpful to you.

"The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit" > http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #2,243 of 19,143
I just got Deoxit (D5), Gold (G5) and Fader (F5).  Used them according to the guide, I felt the clarity was further improved (above what I heard after recapping the PSU and flat amp board).  In the past, I always feel the treble become slightly muddy after I engaged the -20dB attenuation.  Now, I did not hear much difference at all with and without going through the attenuation circuit (SPL matched).

D5 only eliminate the scratching pot.  The G5 seems to improve the SQ and F5 protects the pot.  That is what I got from the Guide.
Quote: 
I bookmarked this after my day long staring and reading session on vintage receivers yesterday. It may be helpful to you.

"The Idiot's Guide to Using DeOxit" > http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2,245 of 19,143

Quote:

[size=10.5pt]Karaoke[/size]

Karaoke didn't get popular until the late 80's - early 90's. I don't remember it becoming popular outside of Asian culture until the mid-90's here in the US.

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,246 of 19,143
The mic input was just for that - people recorded conversations and such to tape decks. The rage were the portable recorders that you'd take to the "field" - the mic input was a feature imported from those big and heavy beasts.
I remember being very young and using those battery powered portable recorders for small interviews and other superfluous things. Looking back it's really lol.

@Skylab - that's a very good Marantz amp there. A fathers friend had one on his setup, a killer rig. The early audiophile days :)

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2,247 of 19,143
Hey there! 

Been reading through this thread. I love the look of vintage electronics, so it's nice to hear that they can drive headphones well. I just got a Marantz 2220B last night and am hoping to give it a Deoxit bath this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with Technics vintage receivers? I haven't seen them mentioned much. A local person is selling a Technics SA-202 for $50, and it's supposedly in excellent working condition. 

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2,248 of 19,143
Sent the Sansui AU 20000 in for a bulb,switch repair,cleaning/lube and 3-day bench test of all functions-cost $80.00.
Sansui CA 2000/BA 2000,switch repair on the preamplifier,cleaning/lube and 3-day bench test of all functions,both pieces-$100.

Tip of the hat to the vintage repair technician in my hometown that keeps the dream alive.
He retired from the old Brack Electronics Toronto (circa 1969) that recently closed this past May.
Claudio has been a fulltime repairman for 34 years and started in electronics when he was 16 years old.

He started a post retirement repair business from his home but the heavier amplifiers were too much to lug up and down into the basement.
So now he has a small shop in the back of a friends warehouse.
I took some pictures today after picking up my amplifier.
Just got authorized for Rotel repairs,had some Mark Levinson and Classe amps in for refurbishing.

Stumbled upon him through Kijiji,believe it or not.
Finally have everything cranking along as it was meant to be.
Cheers to all the solid electronic techs that make this happen!

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,249 of 19,143
This thread sucked me in, I spent a good part of my vacation last week reading through it and further researching various brands and items. I've got the bug now, I'm in process of picking up a Harman Kardon 730 to see how it pairs with my LCD-2's. The descriptions of the HK sound from that era really intrigues me but I'm not sure how the synergy will be with the LCD-2's.

Initially I was really stuck on the Pioneer gear but something about the HK stuff won me over. In the long run I figure I'll probably end up trying a bunch of different brands to see what works best. Next up when finances allow will likely be a Pioneer of the SX-x50 or x80 ilk.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #2,250 of 19,143

Quote:
Sent the Sansui AU 20000 in for a bulb,switch repair,cleaning/lube and 3-day bench test of all functions-cost $80.00.
Sansui CA 2000/BA 2000,switch repair on the preamplifier,cleaning/lube and 3-day bench test of all functions,both pieces-$100.

Tip of the hat to the vintage repair technician in my hometown that keeps the dream alive.
He retired from the old Brack Electronics Toronto (circa 1969) that recently closed this past May.
Claudio has been a fulltime repairman for 34 years and started in electronics when he was 16 years old.

He started a post retirement repair business from his home but the heavier amplifiers were too much to lug up and down into the basement.
So now he has a small shop in the back of a friends warehouse.
I took some pictures today after picking up my amplifier.
Just got authorized for Rotel repairs,had some Mark Levinson and Classe amps in for refurbishing.

Stumbled upon him through Kijiji,believe it or not.
Finally have everything cranking along as it was meant to be.
Cheers to all the solid electronic techs that make this happen!

NICE!   I love looking at his workshop.    wish there was someone near here like that.  There might be but I haven't found him yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back