Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2,206 of 19,145

Quote:
MrQ Thats just wrong!  And a wood case too.

I only have the silver version with a wood case. I suppose that will have to do 
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #2,209 of 19,145
What do you guys think of this trade?

Sansui AU-999 and Kenwood KR-9000GX for/trade Pioneer HPM-900's and Marantz 2270

He has HPM-100's but he wants to keep those (50/50) and a Pioneer 1250 (which we were going to trade, but i dont want him to trade it if he needs money,etc)

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2,210 of 19,145

Quote:
Still a beauty though!  Got to love those tone controls on the vintage units.  I see this one has a knob for "tone mode".  What are the selections?

I have the same control on my 2275. See the link below for a general description.
If I can find my user manual later on, I will quote from that as well.

Link: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28725

Excerpt from the Marantz manual:

The TONE MODE switch determines the operating
characteristics of the BASS, MID AND TREBLE controls,
and allows additional flexibility in compensating for room,
speaker and program characteristics.
The switch affects the tone controls as follows:

OUT:  The tone controls are switched out of circuit,
and frequency response is made flat regardless of their positions.

IN:  The tone controls operate normally.

250Hz:  The turnover frequency of the BASS tone control
is shifted from 500 Hz to 250 Hz, while the MID and
TREBLE operate normally.

4KHz:   The turnover frequency of the TREBLE tone control
is shifted from 2 KHz to 4 KHz, while the BASS and MID operate normally.

250 Hz, 4 KHz:  Both BASS and TREBLE are affected as above,
while MID operates normally.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2,211 of 19,145

Quote:
What do you guys think of this trade?

Sansui AU-999 and Kenwood KR-9000GX for/trade Pioneer HPM-900's and Marantz 2270

He has HPM-100's but he wants to keep those (50/50) and a Pioneer 1250 (which we were going to trade, but i dont want him to trade it if he needs money,etc)

You have the Sansui AU 999 and the Kenwood?     I wouldn't make that trade if you have the Sansuii and Kenwood but I'm becoming partial to the Sansui's and that Kenwood looks nice.  It would be interesting to hear what the more experienced people here have to say.

Just some history links I found...
http://www.classicsansui.net/html/SansuiImages0010.html

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/SOLD_Receivers_KENWOOD.htm

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,214 of 19,145

Quote:
You have the Sansui AU 999 and the Kenwood?     I wouldn't make that trade if you have the Sansuii and Kenwood but I'm becoming partial to the Sansui's and that Kenwood looks nice.  It would be interesting to hear what the more experienced people here have to say.

Just some history links I found...
http://www.classicsansui.net/html/SansuiImages0010.html

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/SOLD_Receivers_KENWOOD.htm

I sure do, im uzzing to get the 1250, so i really want to work out a deal with him.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #2,215 of 19,145

Quote:
Still a beauty though!  Got to love those tone controls on the vintage units.  I see this one has a knob for "tone mode".  What are the selections?

Out :  
In :    
100Hz :  
10KHz :  
100Hz/10KHz :

Plus 15Hz and 9KHz (18dB/Oct) filters and Loudness switches

Mostly I notch up the bass a couple of clicks. Beats tube rolling. I can't wait to get my rig to the next UK meet. I'll take a pepsi challenge against any of the dedicated headphone amps, especially with the HE-6.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #2,216 of 19,145

Quote:
With my Marantz 2240 I've noticed some strange intermittent crackling in my right headphone when I use my 600 ohm AKG K240M, but not with my 32 ohm Grado HF-2.  It takes a minute or two before it starts crackiling over the music, and once it starts I can switch to the Grados and it goes away.  The speaker outputs sound just fine, as does the tape loop out into another amp.  Prior to this the only issue with the amp was noisy controls that are quiet when left alone, which hasn't been a problem for me.

I haven't had time to try my other phones yet, but was wondering if someone thought this was something that having the amp refurbished/recapped would fix? 

Quote:
It's quite possible that there is some out of spec part.  That receiver wasn't serviced at all when I bought it (which is why it was inexpensive).  Might be worth having a local tech go through it.  It's a nice receiver, and that would also solve the noisy controls issue.

Well, the 2240 sounds perfectly fine with my 300 ohm HD800 tonight, so I'm just not going to use the 600 ohm AKG K240M with the Marantz, and I'm not going to mess with anything right now.  Thanks.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #2,217 of 19,145

Quote:
Stop! Just Stop!  You're killing me!  
how come the europeans got all the black units?

x2! You'd think we'd have a choice and companies could readily identify what markets their gear is in/from! Even with some of the silver units like Pioneer , I really love the black dials - like in the '80' ending model numbered units. I've always enjoyed black inside my listening room...

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,220 of 19,145

Quote:
I find the sound of vintage receiver is kinda bassy, is it just me?

Or it could be your headphones???  With my AD-2000 and HE-5, there is more air around the treble and the bass seems a bit recessed; with the D7000, the bass is more forward to the point I have to use the tone controls to attenuate the bass presence abit.  This is with my SX-1250, mind you. So...hmmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back