Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #2,161 of 19,143
MrQ, what do you think in terms of focus?  I do not like the LCD-2 straight out of the Sansui 717, definitely no synergy.  Doesn't matter if the source is my SACD player or a DAC.  Volume is not the issue.  The Sansui isn't controlling the bass how I would like therefore I would always prefer the Lyr to the Sansui.  However, it would be interesting to determine if there was better performance tapping into the speaker out.  

Quote:
Is anyone else using the HE-Adapter with their amps? I recently got my HE-6, initially using it from the headphone out of my Marantz 2385. I thought that was it, as the headphone out can more than manage the HE-6.

Then I wired up the HE-Adapter from one of the sets of speaker outs to the HE-6. The phrase 'scaled-up' doesn't do the combo justice. It's not just a question of volume. The HE-6's sound has more weight, presence and authority. The best word I can think of the sound is solid. 
The bass goes deep, but is articulate. My favourite thing is listening to the notes decay into black, which I miss in my LCD-2.

If your amp is under 100wpc this may not be relevant. I now want to a big vintage PIoneer and Sansui to try out.

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #2,162 of 19,143
These are the kinds of caps and brands of caps I'm talking about, but not sure how appropriate they are.

AudioCap™  Theta Film and Foil Capacitor
Stolen Metallized Polyproylene Capacitors
Dayton Audio Precision 1% Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors
Auricap Metallized Film Capacitors
Kimber Kap Metallized Film Capacitors
Jantzen Silver series Z-Capacitors
Jantzen Superior Series Z-Capacitors
MusiCap Coupling Capacitors-Foil & Polypropylene Film
JJ Electronic Axial Lead Electrolytic

Just some of the Caps I've come across that claim to be made for the musical qualities of audio gear.

So I'm not sure what people do or expect when they get their gear refurbished.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,163 of 19,143
Nice post.  What replacement resistor might one use in the 2215B for the LCD.   

since lcd2 impedance is 50ohms(i believe) it'll probably be better to add a low impedance resistors(like 120ohms maybe) with higher value(like 2w or higher). i don't know how much voltage is needed but you can always experiment with 680ohm resistors. i think you can get 680ohm resistors up to 4-5w. to make it easier for yourself you can always just build a simple box to be used off the speaker outputs. it'll be easier then ripping into the amp and taking the circuit boards out to solder new resistors unless they're permanent. also possibly cheaper as well(a lot cheaper) cause your local radioshack will carry everything you'll need and resistors are dirt cheap.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,164 of 19,143

Quote:
MrQ, what do you think in terms of focus?  I do not like the LCD-2 straight out of the Sansui 717, definitely no synergy.  Doesn't matter if the source is my SACD player or a DAC.  Volume is not the issue.  The Sansui isn't controlling the bass how I would like therefore I would always prefer the Lyr to the Sansui.  However, it would be interesting to determine if there was better performance tapping into the speaker out.  

I've tried the LCD-2 with the adapter and it was a bit too much in the sense that I had lost some of the range with the volume dial.

Remember though your 717 is rated at 85 watts, whereas the Marantz is 185 watts, so you will get a different result. 

As the LCD-2 is not that difficult to drive I'm not sure how much difference you will see.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2,165 of 19,143
Thanks for the info.  I can use the 717 when my computer rig is occupied but doesn't sound I'll gain the focus thru the speaker outs.  Plus I'd have to get some speaker taps and a balanced cable so it was more of a thought exercise.  Maybe I'll look around for a Pioneer receiver which others have reported a bit more synergy with the LCD-2.  And I don't have a receiver paired with the 717.  I was thinking TU-717 to go with AU-717 but the TU doesn't have any aux inputs.  The combo would be dead sexy but not so useful if I wanted to try a receiver + LCD-2 combo.

Quote:

I've tried the LCD-2 with the adapter and it was a bit too much in the sense that I had lost some of the range with the volume dial.
Remember though your 717 is rated at 85 watts, whereas the Marantz is 185 watts, so you will get a different result. 
As the LCD-2 is not that difficult to drive I'm not sure how much difference you will see.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2,167 of 19,143
I think to be considered Vintage, it would almost by definition mean no remote control :wink:

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2,168 of 19,143
New toy day!!! Picked up a Pioneer SX 980.  It was worth the drive to Buffalo to grab it.  If this is indicative of the Pioneer sound they definitely have a clear vodka signature as Skylab described earlier in this thread.  Time to find a good home for my Sansui 8080 and Marantz 2225.  I think the only thing I would like to try now is a higher power Marantz to see how it compares as the 2225 is not in the same league as the more powerful Pioneer and Sansui.  Sorry for the phone quality picture but wanted to show off my new love interest. :wink:

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #2,169 of 19,143
Nice!   I have my eye on a Pioneer SX-950 Receiver thats for sale on consignment at a local audio salon.

I just started to clean up a Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp I got in friday.  It sounds better than I thought it would for $30.  Very tarnished inside and out. but the faceplate cleaned up like new.  Some very small nicks on the plate here and there I might be able to wet sand of with a very fine emery paper.  
Going to take it entirely apart wash down the boards and rebuild it.  My first project, we'll see how successful I am.

All this vintage gear always sounds so clean even though each brands seems to have its own signature.  I really admire those 70 designers.

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,170 of 19,143

Quote:
I think to be considered Vintage, it would almost by definition mean no remote control
wink.gif

Alright then, I'll walk the 10 feet to the console. 
rolleyes.gif
 What's a good vintage preamp with phono. I would like something on the slim side and have a better phono section than my Marantz 2265b.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #2,171 of 19,143
mr.khali, that SX-980 looks awesome, congrats! Very nice receiver.

Francisdemarte, I haven't checked out much in the way of vintage preamps myself, so hopefully others will chime in, but there are a bunch of well regarded McIntosh and Marantz vintage preamps. Maybe check out some threads on AudioKarma.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2,172 of 19,143
FDM, when you ask about preamps on AudioKarma, don't be afraid to be very specific. Tell them how much money you want to spend; tell 'em your aesthetic preferences, if any; mention the slimline requirement, and tell them how picky you want to get about the phono section-- they'll want to know what turntable you have, which phono cartridge you're using.. The reason for all this is that analog, and phono reproduction in particular, is fraught with variables, any one of which might radically change the recommendations you'll get. So tell them about your dream preamp, but also tell them exactly what you have now. My cheapskate recommendation, by the way, would be the Kenwood Basic C2 preamp. Good luck!

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #2,173 of 19,143

Quote:
what do u guys think about marantz 2226? 

I have a 2226b and I love it. It works great with my HD600s and I have it connected to a pair of Focal Chorus 807V's for speakers. It sits here in my office connected to my Cambridge Audio Dacmagic running pretty much all day as my background music source while I work. Somehow the combination of those blue lights and the silver faceplate always makes me smile when I look over at it. ( It reminds me of hot summer nights in the northeast listening to the King Biscuit Flour hour and the Dr. Demento show on WMMR or old Wolfman Jack on AM.) It sound great to me for a 30 or more year old unit! For the price I paid I'd grab a couple spares if I could find them. Don't let the 26 watts fool you it's plenty loud for most people. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #2,174 of 19,143

Quote:
I think to be considered Vintage, it would almost by definition mean no remote control
wink.gif

I know it's off topic but I couldn't help thinking that I'm old enough now to remember I was the remote back in those days for both the TV and the stereo. I can remember standing next to the TV while my father watched 2 football games at once and I switched the dial back and forth. LOL! So technically I'm a vintage remote. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2,175 of 19,143

Quote:
I know it's off topic but I couldn't help thinking that I'm old enough now to remember I was the remote back in those days for both the TV and the stereo. I can remember standing next to the TV while my father watched 2 football games at once and I switched the dial back and forth. LOL! So technically I'm a vintage remote. 
biggrin.gif

That is hilarious because it rings so true. :)  My job was to tune in the UHF channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back