Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 31, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,381 of 19,136
Definitely vintage receiver. it was built from 1973 to unknow. And Marantz 22xx line was considered as best vintage SS Marantz receivers.

Indeed! It's pretty low power, but still nice, and FIVE BUCKS? I never score anything like that for five bucks. That's awesome. Try it with some of your headphones and let us know what you think!

May 31, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,382 of 19,136

Quote:
Indeed! It's pretty low power, but still nice, and FIVE BUCKS? I never score anything like that for five bucks. That's awesome. Try it with some of your headphones and let us know what you think!

The guy told me it was out the whole day in the yard sale and nobody wanted it.  So I offered him five bucks.   After I clean it up I'll try the LCD's, that's all I own but I can borrow my daughters Grado 80's, Audio Technica ATH AD 700's, Audio Technica ES7's.   I wonder what small speakers I can pick up to go with this?

May 31, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #1,383 of 19,136
*sigh*  Head-Fi's wallet-eating power strikes again.

I've just jumped into the vintage ring an an option to power my LCD-2s after reading through this thread.   It was probably a bit too expensive for what it is, but I ordered a Pioneer SA-9100 today. Completely serviced/tested and came with a 6 month warranty.  It is supposed to ship tomorrow, so I should have it Friday.  :)  

-Mike

May 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,384 of 19,136

The guy told me it was out the whole day in the yard sale and nobody wanted it.  So I offered him five bucks.   After I clean it up I'll try the LCD's, that's all I own but I can borrow my daughters Grado 80's, Audio Technica ATH AD 700's, Audio Technica ES7's.   I wonder what small speakers I can pick up to go with this?

The 2215b is 15 wpc into 8 ohms. For headphones it's hard to say what you would get, but might as well try it with the LCD-2 and see what you think. If you want o use it with speakers you need to get some pretty efficient ones, but that still could be nice,

May 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #1,385 of 19,136

Quote:

not sure about all the rest but me thinks the LCD2 will do mitey fine with the 2215. color me ....well colored but me also thinks u'd be surprised at how loud 15wpc can be. with the right speakers, neighbors mite even pay unexpected 'visits'. good score btw!

Quote:
*sigh*  Head-Fi's wallet-eating power strikes again.

I've just jumped into the vintage ring an an option to power my LCD-2s after reading through this thread.   It was probably a bit too expensive for what it is, but I ordered a Pioneer SA-9100 today. Completely serviced/tested and came with a 6 month warranty.  It is supposed to ship tomorrow, so I should have it Friday.  :)  

-Mike

i think u'd be seriously stok'd with what the SA9100 brings to the table. if its anything like my SA7500 -its prolly better- then the lively airy nature of the pioneer should meld more than fine with the LCD2. congrats & good for u!

May 31, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,386 of 19,136
Quote:

That's a great find! Congrats!

As for speakers, depends on where you'll use them.

If you don't have a good stereo at your desk, now's the time to consider one.

Small bookshelf speakers make for great computer speakers. Since they're nearfield (meaning less than 1 meter from the listener's head), the usual norms of efficiency don't apply; you can get considerably more perceived volume out of the power put in, and the bass is much more powerful and extends deeper since there's not as much space for the energy to dissipate before reaching your ears. And unless you still use a CRT or bare hard drives on your desktop, you don't have to worry about shielding.

My PS-6a speakers, not generally considered efficient, could be played louder than I could stand 'em out of a little T-amp without ever getting squelchy or farty. The HK670 driving 'em right now has ridiculous power to spare... its power transformer alone is bigger than the whole T-amp is...

What you do have to worry about is that you're sufficiently close to the speakers now that you can affect the balance depending on the relative position of your head to the tweeter or woofer (unless you have something like a nice pair of Tannoy concentric speakers, in which case, nevermind)

Or, of course, you could get some ultra-high-efficiency Klipschorns...

May 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,387 of 19,136

Quote:
i think u'd be seriously stok'd with what the SA9100 brings to the table. if its anything like my SA7500 -its prolly better- then the lively airy nature of the pioneer should meld more than fine with the LCD2. congrats & good for u!

I'd been looking at Marantz, Pioneer and Luxman receivers, but everything I was finding in a decent price range needed work, which I really don't have time to do right now, and everything that's had the work done was more than I wanted to spend on this,  I'd seen the SA-9100 along the way, but was looking for something more in the late 70s (I absolutely love the look of gear in that time frame), but when I came across this one and dug into it a bit deeper, I just couldn't pass up, especially given the work has been done.  Not to mention, a 6 month warranty on 38 year old gear isn't too bad, either.   Quality-wise, it seems top-notch, and pretty much everything I've read about it has been positive.

It also looks like it has a very nice phono stage, and while it's been a long time since I've played around with vinyl, it's a nice option to have for future wallet-eating fun.  Heh

-Mike

May 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,388 of 19,136

Quote:
I'd been looking at Marantz, Pioneer and Luxman receivers, but everything I was finding in a decent price range needed work, which I really don't have time to do right now, and everything that's had the work done was more than I wanted to spend on this,  I'd seen the SA-9100 along the way, but was looking for something more in the late 70s (I absolutely love the look of gear in that time frame), but when I came across this one and dug into it a bit deeper, I just couldn't pass up, especially given the work has been done.  Not to mention, a 6 month warranty on 38 year old gear isn't too bad, either.   Quality-wise, it seems top-notch, and pretty much everything I've read about it has been positive.

It also looks like it has a very nice phono stage, and while it's been a long time since I've played around with vinyl, it's a nice option to have for future wallet-eating fun.  Heh

-Mike

Mike i think u already know it but incase u dont, let me say that u picked the cream of the crop in your 1st vintage foray. the SA-9100 is acknowledged to be amongst the better (if not with the best) integrated amps Pioneer ever made. its been the fav of many a Pioneer fan. its my opinion that each amp series has its own sound characterics & to my ears, the vintage pioneers SA series suit darker/warmer headphones (or speakers for that matter).

so me thinks Mikeys gonna have a gay ol time playin with his pioneer & orthos
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,389 of 19,136

Quote:
I sold my HE6 today and now I am selling two receivers. I think my SX980 and G4500 are both sold at least by the email i got from a collector. I decided to keep just my tube amps and one receiver for my D7000 so the S650 was the choice because its better than the Sansui G4500 and the SX980 is too powerful for my speakers which are single drivers and I need to use them like now while my decware are back at decware for service, While I loved the HE6 with the SX980 I decided I like Tube amps better so it was a hard decision but I made it anyway

Sorry to read this, the HE6's are really something special if (big if) properly feed and amp. It was Ed Wood that turned me on to the HE6 last June when he was beta resting the HE6's. Ed also has the Realiser A8 loves it and the HE6's paired with it.
My point here is that I am starting to think the HE6's can really shine when feed a Binaural type of signal.
And as I have said I really am not sold on the idea of running the HE6's off a fairly high powered amp from the speaker taps. It will be interesting to read how the new HE6 amp from Fang drives the HE6's, and as far as the new RSA Black Bart amp (or whatever) with its totted and imo unnecessary high wattage is just hype.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,392 of 19,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder what small speakers I can pick up to go with this?

I'll assume we're talking nearfield listening, as RGD described above. New, it's hard to beat the cheap little Sony 2-ways (SS-B1000 or one of the several identical-looking predecessor models)-- you can often get 'em refurbed for $40/pr, shipped. If you want tiny and you don't mind DIY, mod a pair of Realistic Minimus-7s. There are, as you can imagine, lots and lots of possibilities. 15 watts a side is plenty to have fun with, with speakers or headphones. Now, if your head tends to drift off-axis into the lobes and notches of a typical 2-way's crossover region, and you really feel the need to go cheap 'n' coaxial (tweeter in the middle of the woofer), there's always the Insignia NS-B2111.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,393 of 19,136
I was pretty happy when I scored a Luxman L-5 integrated amplifier which was released in 1976 (which I understand was a good era for audio gear) off eBay. It's served me well over the past few yeas driving my old LEAK speakers as well as acting as a phono stage for my vinyl rig. I've since bought a standalone phono stage which removed my dependency on the amp as a one stop show pony in my (poor) Uni student home. The problem is I'm worried about how it will perform (and by extension sound) driving my incoming LCD-2s and I have begun to question it's existence.

I know it is too much to ask how this specific amp works with "high-end" orthodynamics (namely the LCD-2) but what I was hoping for were some general comments on how amps from that era behave driving headphones, typical sound characteristics of Luxman amps, anything to give me half an idea of how things might work/sound with my LCD-2s. The alternative amp that comes to mind is a Schiit Lyr but if I can avoid having to buy one, I will.

Here is a website with some info on the amp: http://audio-database.com/LUXMANALPINE-LUXMAN/amp/l-5-e.html. It was supposed to retail for ~$600 upon release, making it one of the mid-fi integrated amplifiers on the Luxman catalog of the time.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,394 of 19,136
Quote:
I know it is too much to ask how this specific amp works with "high-end" orthodynamics (namely the LCD-2) but what I was hoping for were some general comments on how amps from that era behave driving headphones, typical sound characteristics of Luxman amps, anything to give me half an idea of how things might work/sound with my LCD-2s. The alternative amp that comes to mind is a Schiit Lyr but if I can avoid having to buy one, I will.

Here is a website with some info on the amp: http://audio-database.com/LUXMANALPINE-LUXMAN/amp/l-5-e.html. It was supposed to retail for ~$600 upon release, making it one of the mid-fi integrated amplifiers on the Luxman catalog of the time.

Old receivers with HP outs that are just resistors hanging off the speaker taps do fine with orthos because they don't mind the extra output impedance like most dynamics do.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #1,395 of 19,136

Quote:
I was pretty happy when I scored a Luxman L-5 integrated amplifier which was released in 1976 (which I understand was a good era for audio gear) off eBay. It's served me well over the past few yeas driving my old LEAK speakers as well as acting as a phono stage for my vinyl rig. I've since bought a standalone phono stage which removed my dependency on the amp as a one stop show pony in my (poor) Uni student home. The problem is I'm worried about how it will perform (and by extension sound) driving my incoming LCD-2s and I have begun to question it's existence.

as far as i know, Luxman made some fine midend amps which is reflected in how well u like your L-5 with the Leaks. personally i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of their hybrid amps -something the the LV105 will do me fine- to play with.

as to how well your L-5 will do with the LCD2, only you can be the final arbitor of that combo. however theres no logical reason for this combo to not work well as most all of the LCD2+vintage amps combos in this thread atleast have been more than favorable. IIRC skylab ordered a 2nd LCD2 to go with his big pioneer sx1250 office rig so take that for what its worth,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back