Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,201 of 19,142

Quote:
i have an old onkyo tx 80 if that counts, im gonna take it to lake electronics for repair some time

personally if the onkyo's on the fritz, i wouldnt bother sending it the shop. im sure u can pick up a full functional vintage amp/receiver for similar or less money than what the shop would charge for repairs. esp if u get lucky & come across a TX-8500, jump on it!

May 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,202 of 19,142
Been feeling down in the dumps about The Fisher X-202-B. It makes the HE-6 sound beautiful, but the phones risk its health. I'm not sure what to do about it now.

But I briefly dropped by my friendly local crack hi-fi dealer this evening, and they have a Marantz Model 18 receiver in the used-and-stuff room. I'm not sure what to do about that either, or what to offer if I do decide. They would allow me to try before buying, which is a material advantage over Ebay sales.

Fortunately, the very vintage, extremely refurbished (and, yeah, kinda four-digit spendy) McIntosh receiver in the same room the last time I visited is no longer a temptation, as some brave unknown has sacrificed his soul for the goodness of the rest of us.

May 18, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #1,203 of 19,142
Art for your HE6, i'd hunt down a sansui AU-517/717 if i were u. wait....i did hunt one down! LOL. seriously though im sure u'd be very pleasantly surprised & stoked by how much thunder the 'Sui can impart on the hifimans.

too bad we didnt get a chance to hookup for a chat as the meet got postponed to June. hope u enjoyed our fair (& wet) city & had lots of sushi & chinese! LOL

May 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,204 of 19,142
Your fair city was actually less wet than southeast Michigan during the trip. It was probably a good time to get away. Vancouver's great for all kinds of Asian food; I think we ate mostly Korean and Japanese on the trip but the Chinese was good too. The only western meals we had, really, were breakfasts. Dunno if Japadog counts. I think I have the entire length of Robson memorized still. In fact, we were strolling down it when the Canucks playoff victory parade started. That was something. I'd be afraid for my ears if I was there during a Stanley Cup victory parade.

Anyway, the Marantz would be a bird in the hand, of sorts, but I don't have a brand loyalty. Haven't seen many Sansuis of any description floating through the local sales channels, but I'll admit I haven't been looking for long yet. It's going to be difficult to get out yardsaling for a while, too, so I'm not counting on a treasure falling in my lap.

May 18, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #1,205 of 19,142
Hm... okay, no decent-looking AU-717s around, but there's a G5000 within reach. On the one hand, they want a couple hundred; on the other hand, it's recently recapped.

A higher-powered receiver (something that can juice the HE-6 through the headphone jack rather than speaker terminals) is becoming increasingly appealing. It would be a good reason to declutter-away a variety of other electronics (tuner, amps, integrateds, preamp) that have been accumulating while trying to scratch the audiophile itch.

May 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #1,206 of 19,142
for sure in recent years, robson st has become a smorgasboard of culture esp with the influx of foreign exchange students from korea, japan, china & whereever else. if u visit later in the heart of summer, robson become a zoocorpia of humanity waltzing up & down. i remember spending some funtimes with my biker buds hangin out corner of robson&thurlow checking the 'wildlife'! if nothing, its feast for the eyes & a great way to chillout with the buds on a sunday afternoon! LOL

back on topic, i still think speaker outs da way to go. i think the headouts stepdown resistors shunts out (some) current that our orthos so desperately needs to bloom which btw, seems to jive with what slight leaness i hear using the headout with the 5LEs. but that could be just me ofcos.

for sure, the bigger amps have way bigger (&better) power supplies which is what brings warmth, body & control IMO. coincidentally, did i mention my 517 (&717) has big twin trafos, 4x15k uf power caps, etc,,,, i feel thats one of the big reasons for its very authoritative bass, both in depth & heft, when compared to my other vintage amps. 

talkin bout high power'd receivers, theres this G33000 still on ebay. nice score if one can manage it. no more upgrades fo sho!!! LOL

May 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,207 of 19,142
Quote:
talkin bout high power'd receivers, theres this G33000 still on ebay. nice score if one can manage it. no more upgrades fo sho!!! LOL

Wow, um... That's too big for my feet, I think a smaller size'll be more comfy.

But it's certainly good to know what to look for when one needs a radio that can weld mufflers.

May 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #1,208 of 19,142
could be just me but me thinks a radio that doubles as an arc welders more than kool - its da bomb kool! LOL. seriously though u'd have more than an receiver if u get it. its a work of art that will appreciate as a collectable & doubles as an amp, preamp & a tuner! dang how can u lose?? 

howeva i think skylabs already got dibs on it. wont be long now before we see him post pics of his new toy! ahahahaha
biggrin.gif
. u better hurry if ya gonna out bid him!

May 19, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,209 of 19,142
LOL - but not a chance.  That thing is WAY too huge for me.  The SX-1980 is plenty big enough.  Maybe I just like the Pioneer sound, but I still think the SX-1980 and SX-1250 are phenomenal sounding, with both speakers and headphones.  I can't stop listening to the SX-1980.  It makes the B&W N805's sing in an unbelievably good way.

May 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,210 of 19,142
My buddy brought over his pioneer SX-1280. What a beast, alas there is a problem somewhere as the right channel cuts out alot.

I'm hoping the culprit is the stereo/mono toggle as if you fiddle with it alot sometimes the right channel will work.
When it dose work, man this sounds sweet. And my poor old Burhoe Acoustic speakers are no match for its power.

May 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #1,211 of 19,142
A good blast of de-oxit might fix the issue.  You need to take the top off and get into the controls with the de-oxit spray, and then work the controls back and forth repeatedly for a bunch of cycles.

May 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #1,214 of 19,142

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Sansui QRX 5500? How does it compare with the AU X17's?

I heard Sansui G-8000, 8080db briefly, and I have 5000a and 5000x. But they all don't share the deep, tight, powerful bass of my AU 517. And I find 517 a little brighter than other Sui's. I don't know QRX 5500, but I's say G-xxxx sound near the AU x17.

May 19, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,215 of 19,142
I have a Sansui AU 717 and matching TU 717 tuner, sadly the amp needs a cleaning and complete recap, I hope to get this done when I have some extra cash flow cause I have heard nothing in stores for less than $2000 that compare. Currently I am using a Sansui AU-x201i integrated amp and while it isnt as clean or powerful as the 717 it powers my Polk's and headphone out has more than adequate power for everything but my 600 ohm K240's.

Basically I am saying if you find Sansui AU-xxxxxx items snag em. My Goal is to find an AU-919 and get that one day. The AU-X1 is supposedly an amazing unit but not till modifications are done cause of a flaw in the circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back