Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #1,186 of 19,143

Quote:
Yes they are, I use them with my PC. I was looking to either get two of the left channel speakers (A2) or two of the left channel for the A5's. I had even considered trying to find a left channel by itself.

The left channels are the ones with the amps inside.  However, I think they have an A4 that is un-amplified, for your type of usage with external amp.

May 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #1,187 of 19,143

Quote:
LOL! i did a coupla WTFs!?? when u said that the 717s headout wasnt juiced up! yaaaa mutings one of those options a 717 has over my 517. if noting else i'd still do a DC offset & Bias adjustments if i were u. perhaps once settled, u mite wanna crack open the case & hookup a coupla DMMs & 'tune' the Bias to your liking (on the fly) - its pretty fun & the 517/717 has loads of headroom for that.

while i have no doubt the 717 boogies with the HE6, are u saying the the 717 plays nice with your HD800 as well as the WA22? would love to hear more about your escapades if u should so desire to share it with us. afterall, we're still a club of only 4 (&1s crippled)...for now 
tongue.gif

The 717 sounds really nice with all of them, but not as refined sounding as the WA22 (which is as I expected.) Especially with the HD800.  Just more detail, lush tone. and transparency with the WA22 but the 717 has really good bass which warms up the HD800 nicely.   With the LCD-2 it comes a lot closer.  With the right tubes the wa22 is very good with the LCD-2, but the 717 comes darn close.  I could easily use it as my main amp with the 2s.  But HE-6 really shines...  loves that power. 

I definitely want to adjust the offset & bias.  I'll be pm-ing you soon when I get some time to work on it, I appreciate your offer to help!

May 16, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,188 of 19,143
no worries bud. be glad to help a fellow 'Suihead as we x17'fiers be rare in these parts! LOL. plus im totally stoked my hearings isnt all #$%^# damaged from all the loud listening. i knew my 517 were 'special' but waddaikno - i certainly cant state that with any degree of certainly due of amp inaccessibility & inexperience & im far from having golden ears unlike some of my fellow gearheads.

that said, my now finely 'tuned' Pioneer SA-7500 sounding seriously fine driving the HD650. where the 517s heftier & fuller, the SA7500s punchier, quicker, airy & seemingly flushes out upper microdetails to the fore. very nice indeed & makes a good companion to the heftier & smoother 517.

i have 2 'head'amps to suit different moods & different cans. cant say i aint stoked!

ps:do keepup with the impressions ya
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #1,189 of 19,143

Quote:
that said, my now finely 'tuned' Pioneer SA-7500 sounding seriously fine driving the HD650. where the 517s heftier & fuller, the SA7500s punchier, quicker, airy & seemingly flushes out upper microdetails to the fore. very nice indeed & makes a good companion to the heftier & smoother 517.

Wow, Scottie, you really know how to describe the sound!!! 
beerchug.gif
My Pioneer sx-1050 & sa-6800 sounds as your description. I would say my reotels sound between Sui and Pioneer.

Are there anyone can describe the Yammy , Kenny and Sony house sound? I would say Kenny is recess, dark and relax.

May 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #1,190 of 19,143
Wow, Scottie, you really know how to describe the sound!!! 
beerchug.gif
My Pioneer sx-1050 & sa-6800 sounds as your description. I would say my reotels sound between Sui and Pioneer.

Are there anyone can describe the Yammy , Kenny and Sony house sound? I would say Kenny is recess, dark and relax.

i wouldn't say kenwood sounds dark or recessed. depends on the speakers and room most likely. yamaha i have no idea on it's so called ''house'' sound. i just recently gotten a 1985 yamaha r-9 class A receiver. very powerful,spacious,natural response,digs insanely deep in the bass department with massive impact if the track has it and if driving powerful PA speakers,subwoofers or floor towers due to it being able to push-pull large amounts of current.

i also would have to say it depends on room size and acoustics as well. i pretty much have my room treated to sound almost completely dead with carpet on my walls,floor and ceiling. if your talking headphone wise it depends as well i assume. i barely listen to headphones much and only own a pair of akg 240's and some DIY custom headphones with 16 gauge copper speaker wire for speaker terminal hook-ups.

May 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,191 of 19,143
i have an old onkyo tx 80 if that counts, im gonna take it to lake electronics for repair some time

May 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,192 of 19,143
I got my Sansui AU-999 in black metal (not wood), a pair of red headphones (will post model later), pair of speakers (forgot brand), and an Onkyo MKii will a bit of work needed to be done, but works. I will post picture's later
o2smile.gif

May 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,193 of 19,143

Quote:
i wouldn't say kenwood sounds dark or recessed. depends on the speakers and room most likely. yamaha i have no idea on it's so called ''house'' sound. i just recently gotten a 1985 yamaha r-9 class A receiver. very powerful,spacious,natural response,digs insanely deep in the bass department with massive impact if the track has it and if driving powerful PA speakers,subwoofers or floor towers due to it being able to push-pull large amounts of current.

i also would have to say it depends on room size and acoustics as well. i pretty much have my room treated to sound almost completely dead with carpet on my walls,floor and ceiling. if your talking headphone wise it depends as well i assume. i barely listen to headphones much and only own a pair of akg 240's and some DIY custom headphones with 16 gauge copper speaker wire for speaker terminal hook-ups.

Rex, do you prefer R-9 to Sui you traded? My Yammy CR-1020 has enough bass, but not in the same league with AU-517. I think 80's analog products are more bass oriented, my Luxman r-113 has more "uncontrolled" bass than R-1120a. All post on AK didn't mention 70's Yammy have "insanely deep in the bass department with massive impact".

I know room dimension and apace will affect sound, but using headphone can reduce this effect. 
biggrin.gif

I forgot to ask vintage Marantz house sound, are there marantz fans can chime in? I do think it has more characteristics than warm?

I don't know whether 80's NAD belongs to "vintage" category, NAD can be a good headphone amp.  But I can safely say that 21st century NAD has no enough juice for phones output. Can any one tell me when the phone ports of receivers lose the juice??

May 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,194 of 19,143

Quote:
I got my Sansui AU-999 in black metal (not wood), a pair of red headphones (will post model later), pair of speakers (forgot brand), and an Onkyo MKii will a bit of work needed to be done, but works. I will post picture's later
o2smile.gif

Congratulation to your Sui!!

Could you post the nude pic of Au-999? Just want to compare it with AU-x17.

May 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,195 of 19,143

Quote:
i have an old onkyo tx 80 if that counts, im gonna take it to lake electronics for repair some time

I do think 80's products still have enough juice for headphone ports. My NAD, Carver, Denon drive my Q701 without sweat. But they just don't have the look of "vintage" (the meter, lights, big knob and shinning face plate).

May 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #1,196 of 19,143
@Meewoo

yes i actually do. i traded my sansui au-d7 amp which was great amp but i gotten curious on yamaha and found a local that offered me his R-9 for it. i know sansui has more value to it but value is not much important to me. it's either a keeper or not. if not i try to get a trade out of it instead of selling usually.

it might not be shiny and fancy as lot of earlier 70's silver face receivers but it sounds really wonderful and love the variable loudness dial. if you have a pair of powerful floor towers or floor speakers with powerful woofers your gonna feel that heavy bass and don't even need to touch the bass knob at all. it just has that torque needed to bring out the sub-bass frequencies . it's really an impressive receiver. i think personally as well that the red dial lights are a nice touch. if your looking for one i think you can easily spot one for 100 bucks or less in mint condition since the 1980's R series are not as sought after as the older CR series. i like mine so much with short amount of time i had with it i think i might try to find another one to purchase over the weekend.

May 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #1,197 of 19,143
@Rex

Have you tried 80's stasis Nakamichi? I have a SR-2A, it's the best "loose" and deep bass I ever heard. But I am not basshead, so it's collecting dust in the closet now. I agree with you, it's kind of luck to find "your" sound. 

May 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,198 of 19,143
@Rex

Have you tried 80's stasis Nakamichi? I have a SR-2A, it's the best "loose" and deep bass I ever heard. But I am not basshead, so it's collecting dust in the closet now. I agree with you, it's kind of luck to find "your" sound. 

i never heard any nakamichi receivers/amps before. i know they make some of the best tape decks around. now i'm curious on them. i'm not basshead either i just use sub-bass/bass as a power check to see how much power can be drawn for fun since woofers or sub-woofers use up most of power in a pair of speakers. i wouldn't say it's bloated or sloppy either. it's pretty tight but wasn't as tight as my au-d7 i had but it defiantly didn't bring out the deep sub-bass like my current yamaha does. if you find one around you should check it out. i personally tried getting an CR-1000 yamaha but by time i had extra cash for it on my local CL, it was gone.

May 17, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #1,199 of 19,143

Quote:
@Rex

There was one for sale a couple of years ago not more than 5 miles from where I live.  I missed the end of auction due to travel for work.  I bought a brand new Parasound Halo A51 instead.

May 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #1,200 of 19,143

Quote:
My Rotel RX-2001 & RX-304

The RX-2001 is built like tank, all knobs and buttons are metal (no plastics). Inside is total mess, wires all over the place like spider web. I do find that high power receivers have tighter bass than lower power siblings, and sound seems more controlled. IMHO, Rotel rX-2001 sounds little step ahead my SX-1050.

Rotels have a nice tonal signature.  Smooth, transparent but not as bright as pioneer, almost a laid back presence overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back