Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 12, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #18,301 of 19,143
A temporary setup so that I can compare these 2 amps easily. Both are hooked up to Yggdrasil. One via RCA, the other via xlr balanced cable.

I wouldn't term the Alpha 907MR as strictly neutral. There's still a very slight hint of warm but that is great. It's faster and more agile. Micro details abounds more and there's superb instruments separation. Bass is tighter and with more precision impact.

Overall I definitely prefer the Alpha 907MR but it's a madness 33 kgs. At some point I'll have to move it back to the lounge because what it did to my speakers is a revelation.

IMG-2885.JPG

May 13, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #18,303 of 19,143
The 907MR has repaid me tenfold when I connected the Axis Voicebox S. I am a very happy man now. Never mind that it's black and gold. :)

I feel like I'm in a studio. The clarity is astounding.

Wish those things would't cost over 2 grand here, right now it seems to be like unobtainium here, it costs more used than new.

May 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #18,304 of 19,143
I am very happy for you UntilThen, and a little envious also, but for all of you that already owns very good vintage, dont be....The result of all that makes quality sound is not only the quality of the amplifier but also all the others elements linked in the stereo system ,including the electrical grid of the room and the house, I dont even speak of the speakers particular voicing or the room treatment... Then dont kill yourself at reading others extasy and think about tweaks and modifications of your own audio gear to makes that optimal.... For me with my Sansui AU-7700 and the tweakes I implemented in my system I enjoy tubelike sound with all possible details in the limit of my own system...Even with that I am jealous for sure of the beauty of this Alpha Sansui...:ksc75smile::L3000: Congratulations to UntilThen !

May 13, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #18,305 of 19,143
I humbly accept all the congratulations because this has been a very lucky purchase for me. To import a similar unit from Japan with shipping and import duties would have cost me 3 to 3.5 grand Aussie dollars. I got this for $1800 and it's in immaculate condition. Had I slept in that morning, I would have miss this. Someone would have bought it for sure. :)

When I went to pick it up, I ask the seller if the headphone jack works. He told me he doesn't use headphones so cannot guarantee if it works. When I brought it home, the headphone function works like a charm. There's no noise at all.

What's more, he had just send it in to a HiFi shop to have it serviced.

So now I have to colour my HD800 to match it. :ksc75smile:

banner-large.jpg

May 13, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #18,306 of 19,143
I vouch to never sleep all morning now and wait for the god of luck to place one on my road! :beerchug:

May 13, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #18,309 of 19,143
...and a vintage TV to boot.

Actually, that is a cheap Ilo TV. Not as vintage as it looks. Has an HDTV tuner in it but reproduces only 480i. Hope to get a flat screen at some point.

May 17, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #18,311 of 19,143
Got the AU-7900 back from QRX Restore in Eugene, OR. It sound awesome these guys do first class work.

Nice one - they have an excellent reputation!

May 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #18,312 of 19,143
Got the AU-7900 back from QRX Restore in Eugene, OR. It sound awesome these guys do first class work.

Glad to hear of another good restoration place in my neck of the woods. Thank you for posting the name.

I LOVE the Sansui blackout look................

May 26, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #18,313 of 19,143
Modified my SX-1250 with a an IEC inlet. Now I can change out power cords at will. Have fitted it with one of my home brew monster power cords that I used to use with my Rowland amps. I do believe I am hearing deeper bass.

Jun 8, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #18,314 of 19,143
The latest score...............got these Cerwin Vega DX-5's, a couple subs (JBL!) and a few donateable (is that a word?) mid-90's Sony separates (CD player, receiver, cassette deck) for a great price. Had the rubber surrounds replaced by my local speaker guru and put the speakers in the main system. Cabinets are as close to perfect as I have seen on a 20 year old pair of speakers, as was all the other equipment. Many love CV speaker, many don't..............I do. Have a pair of DX-3's in the garage gym system and four bookshelf sized CV's in use around the house and outside by the hot tub - I am a fan of Cerwin Vega and have been since my roommate had a pair in our rental house back in the day.

Cerwin Vega DX-5 June 2019.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back