Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #18,136 of 19,136
Ahhh it's all happening together. Got a call from Skippy. He has the plates and binding posts ready for my Sansui AU-717. So I'll be dropping it to him in a few days time.

This is how it will look after it's finished.

post-111576-0-34481100-1411636006_thumb.jpg

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #18,137 of 19,136
First port of call - a proper internal cleaning of the loudness switch (and other switches at the same time). If this doesn't help, there is a fault in the preamp or power supply circuitry which supplies the preamp stage.

The loudness contour is essentially an EQ circuit which is switched into the signal path when you hit the loudness button. It's very simple and whilst it does place additional load on the power supply when engaged at loud listening levels (due to the additional bass EQing) a healthy amp should not be affected.

You can trouble-shoot whether it's a broader power supply issue by disengaging the loudness switch, running the amp to the same volume levels, ensure the tone controls are switched on, and wind up the bass to the maximum setting. If distortion occurs and the flashing occurs, it might be a power supply issue. If not, it is related to the loudness circuit only.

When you mention the lights going on and off rapidly, are you referring to every LED indicator light on the unit (including source selection, power amp direct selection etc) or just the power indicator (which flashes to show that the amplifier's protection circuit is engaged and the speaker output relay is engaged)? It could be that a fault is tripping the protection circuit.
Thanks for the great tips @petemac110
What du you recommend to use as cleaner?
I'll test more later today regarding the lights etc. It's been 3-4 months since I tried it so my memory is not 100% shure of the details you asked.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #18,138 of 19,136
Thanks for the great tips @petemac110
What du you recommend to use as cleaner?
I'll test more later today regarding the lights etc. It's been 3-4 months since I tried it so my memory is not 100% shure of the details you asked.

You'll need to perform some disassembly of the amp to clean the switches. I recommend DeOxIt D5 spray. Use sparingly, as it will flush out any damping grease and the like if you spray like a madman.

The 707DR should be similar to this 907MR when you remove the front face:

Dsc00046_800.jpg

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #18,139 of 19,136
DeoxIt is what you want as a cleaner. There is a great thread over in audio karma describing how to use it.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #18,140 of 19,136
Congratulations. You'll spend many hours enjoying that baby.

You must be psychic or you have experience with the Sony STR 7035. I had to travel about 45 mins to the seller's place but it was worth it. A most friendly guy. Even let me listen to his other gear.

The Sony receiver is in a very good condition for it's age but it was the sound that really make me smile. This 1975 Sony is as musical as the Sansui(s) that I have. I brought along my LCD-3f to audition and listen to Dire Straits 'Money For Nothing'. Well it's not much money for something great. :) We tried vinyl, CD and the tuner. Everything works. There's nothing wrong with this unit. Function like a well oiled machinery.

It's 24w and should drive some small speakers well. The seller demoed it with a pair of Wharferdale CR-10 and it was sweet sounding with that vintage bass. For my purpose of using this for headphones, it make the hd800 and lcd-3f sound really good. Who would have thought that $170 (aussie dollars) would bring so much joy and sweet music.

IMG-2626.JPG

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #18,143 of 19,136
For my purpose of using this for headphones, it make the hd800 and lcd-3f sound really good. Who would have thought that $170 (aussie dollars) would bring so much joy and sweet music.

I agree completely. Vintage receivers simply cannot be beaten for a myriad of reasons. However....
None of my receivers can compete with my GOTL. Its not that the receivers sound bad. They dont. The GOTL just simply sounds much better. But then again im talking about a 1500.00 amp with over 500.00(and soon that figure will double) of tubes vs. $75.00 for my 881.

Im quite curious to see what you think once you get your GOTL back.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #18,144 of 19,136
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #18,145 of 19,136
image.jpeg

Headphones in the 70's were awful sounding affairs.
Everyone listened to and adored thier speakers in the 70's....sources were far from perfect....(most folks had) a very mediocre turntable and a very
modest performing tape deck....

:)

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #18,146 of 19,136
Meanwhile my new high-end system playing 'Mother'. :)

This Sony was suppose to be a night light but my word the sound is too good for that. It's a bit brighter and yet warm, with a lovely lushness. Truly the 70s is the Golden Age of Audio.

IMG-2633.JPG

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
Mother do you think they'll like this song?
Mother do you think they'll try to break my balls?
Ooh, ah
Mother should I build the wall?
Mother should I run for President?
Mother should I trust the government?
Mother will they put me in the firing mine?
Ooh ah,
Is it just a waste of time?

:)

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #18,147 of 19,136
I agree completely. Vintage receivers simply cannot be beaten for a myriad of reasons. However....
None of my receivers can compete with my GOTL. Its not that the receivers sound bad. They dont. The GOTL just simply sounds much better. But then again im talking about a 1500.00 amp with over 500.00(and soon that figure will double) of tubes vs. $75.00 for my 881.

Im quite curious to see what you think once you get your GOTL back.

I see it as the best of both worlds. Vintage amps / receivers and tube amps, both of which I love. Also a return to vinyl. I think I am going back to the future!

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #18,150 of 19,136
Pete, that's an amazing looking 907MR. Looks so new. Is it yours?

No, that's a file photo. A 907MR is all boxed up at Dad's place and awaiting it's debut at Casa Del Mac very soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back