Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 6, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #18,121 of 19,136
So you Sansui guys inspired me...................picked this up yesterday off a craigslist ad. Been fully recapped - sounded glorious for the audition (had a turntable and streamed some Daft Punk via Bluetooth) - more impressions after I get it in use.

Great find Oregonian!! This is just a step on the path to the Sansui side. :wink:

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #18,122 of 19,136
Apr 6, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #18,123 of 19,136
Thanks @UntilThen

My alpha 707dr has a little issue though, maybe I could get some advice here.
When I activate the loudness button, the sound out of the speakers gets distorted and the lights begin to go on and off rapidly.
Anyone have clues to what the issue could be?

Apr 6, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #18,124 of 19,136
Well, running loudness requires more power due to low end boost, if there is a power supply issue that may expose it. The distortion and light flickering may also point to this.

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #18,126 of 19,136
Apr 6, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #18,127 of 19,136
Thanks @UntilThen

My alpha 707dr has a little issue though, maybe I could get some advice here.
When I activate the loudness button, the sound out of the speakers gets distorted and the lights begin to go on and off rapidly.
Anyone have clues to what the issue could be?

First port of call - a proper internal cleaning of the loudness switch (and other switches at the same time). If this doesn't help, there is a fault in the preamp or power supply circuitry which supplies the preamp stage.

The loudness contour is essentially an EQ circuit which is switched into the signal path when you hit the loudness button. It's very simple and whilst it does place additional load on the power supply when engaged at loud listening levels (due to the additional bass EQing) a healthy amp should not be affected.

You can trouble-shoot whether it's a broader power supply issue by disengaging the loudness switch, running the amp to the same volume levels, ensure the tone controls are switched on, and wind up the bass to the maximum setting. If distortion occurs and the flashing occurs, it might be a power supply issue. If not, it is related to the loudness circuit only.

When you mention the lights going on and off rapidly, are you referring to every LED indicator light on the unit (including source selection, power amp direct selection etc) or just the power indicator (which flashes to show that the amplifier's protection circuit is engaged and the speaker output relay is engaged)? It could be that a fault is tripping the protection circuit.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #18,128 of 19,136
Hmm the alpha 707 dr looks a substantial beast putting out 130w into a 8 ohm load. Very nice looking too with rosewood wooden side panel.

Definitely get it repaired Jabba.

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #18,129 of 19,136
Will be picking up my first vintage receiver today.... for a cheap cheap price. :)

It's the one at the top. I'll put it next to the Sansui, turn off the lights and enjoy the music. :)

sony-str-7035-pioneer-sx-626-marantz-2235b-kenwood-kr-5600_122589.jpg

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #18,130 of 19,136
Gotta love the glow of a vintage receiver!

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #18,134 of 19,136
First time I check out the phono input of the Sansui AU-717. Now using my spare 'new' turntable. Gift from my wife more than 2 years ago but since the arrival of the Rega Rp8, this has been packed up. It's a Denon DP300f belt driven turntable that had quite a long thread on Audiokarma. This unit has it's own phono preamp but can also be switch off to use whatever phono preamp you so choose. Now it's plugged into the 717's phono input 1. The 717 has 2 phono input, both MM.

It's a great sound. Love it. Vinyl and vintage amps, it's a natural. :)

IMG-2624.JPG

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #18,135 of 19,136
Time passed quickly when you're having fun. I played LPs after LPs and the basic Denon TT is giving me as much enjoyment as Tidal HiFi through Yggdrasil .... in fact more. No doubt attributed to the vintage Sansui AU-717.

This is a special edition of 'War On Drugs' on double LP green vinyl.

IMG-2625.JPG

Oops it's time to go and pick up the vintage Sony receiver. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back