Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #17,026 of 19,142

Before I pull the Trigger on this, do you guys have any suggestions on any other amp/receiver
that would be great for around 300? This is really the first AMP im buying . The only thing I have is a portable XDUoo-05. If I were to buy another DAC, how would I hook it up to the Vintage AMP or how would I hook up say my computer to the AMP.   Also, sorry for all these newbsih questions. 

I think any receiver that appeals to you visually from the big names in the business from that era are safe options.

In my experience anything 40wpc and up are good for planars...my little Marantz 2226b just doesnt do em justice.

I run a Chord Mojo out to my Sansui 881 using 1/8th to RCA plug into AUX...if the receiver or amp youre considering doesnt have AUX you can use the tape input.

You can use the same method w/o a DAC if your computer has an analog out.  

Each of my four receivers has its own sound..my Sansui 5000a is def the warmest,followed by my 881.My Onkyo is brighter with better soundstage,clarity and bass control for my HE-6.

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #17,027 of 19,142
  It does look great. Is 300 a good price for it? Also, do I just plug in my headphones and play or would I need to do something else? I plan to use this to AMP my He-500's and other headphones that I buy as a sort of 1 solution Home AMP or is it too overkill. 

It should play GREAT out of the headphone jack - but consider this - the HE-500/400/HE-6 all sound phenomenal played out of the speaker taps with an adapter which are easy to find.  I bought my two adapters from Ted @ Headphone Lounge for $40 each if I remember right. 

Regarding the DAC question - you can go from the DAC to the Aux input of the Kenwood easily with a RCA connector - depending on the DAC it will either have two RCA's on the output side which is then RCA--->RCA or it will have a 1/8" jack which would need a 1/8"--->RCA adapter - available from Monoprice or Amazon for low cost. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,028 of 19,142
  Is Kenwood KA-7100 a good AMP? Anyone have an experience with it? 

I have no direct experience with this amp.  Just many vintage in general.

HiFi Engine has the following:

The schematics show 220 ohm resistors on the headphone out.  Should work fine with planar and most higher ohm headphones.

Your millage may vary with lower ohm phones and even some with higher ohm ratings.

I find that synergy (source, amp, phones, etc & ears) plays a large part of wheither you will like a specific headphone paring with any amp/system.

I am sure that the amp will sound good with some phones, just do not expect a specific outcome.

You can get a new low ohm output headphone amp, that in theory, will pair with a larger assortment of phones.  BUT, you will miss the magic of a vintage amp.

JMTC,
r2

Edit:  With the 7100 you may use the Aux, Tuner or either of the tape play connections as the input for your DAC or Computer.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #17,030 of 19,142
  Darn it. Someone bought it. e_e

There are lots of good amps and receivers you can get for 300.00. Did you have a particular attachment to that Kenwood,or was it the first thing that caught your eye?

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #17,032 of 19,142
I owned the KA-7100 back when it was new.  It was a nice, if somewhat unremarkable, piece.  I soon traded it in for a KA-9100.  That one was the monster.  That price was too high for a unit that old - unless it's been through a major re-cap and cleaning.

I also owned a Mac 1900 receiver up until last September when I sold it for the princely sum of $300 - only because it was a MacIntosh and it still worked and it had the wood cabinet.  It needed new caps and a good going over and I didn't like it enough to put that kind of money into it.  It sounded great - magical almost through vintage Celestion SL6si speakers - but it's main use was for headphones and it buzzed a little too much through the 'phones.  I tried using it as a phono preamp, but it's age really showed there.  I paid $100 for it at a tag sale

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #17,033 of 19,142
Has anyone heard of Nikko? I just picked up a Na-100 and it sounds pretty decent with 110 watts per channel most 100 watt rated.bookshelf speakers start to distort at 60% volume. Much louder than anyone would want of course...unless you were outside. I also picked up a technics su-v707 receiver which i ended up dropping while i was work on it :mad:. Needless to say i cracked the tuner circuit board...i have since traced by hand mind you a new pcb in photoshop based on the terrible service manual...just waiting on ferric chloride and copper pcb boards to show up.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #17,035 of 19,142
  Its one of the few power amps I would EVER consider using instead of my Hafler DH 500.

The KSA 50 is widely regarded as one of the best ever!

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #17,037 of 19,142
Garage system (Pioneer SA-9900 110wpc fed by iPad 2 through a NuForce iDo DAC or the vintage Yamaha CD player) driving Cerwin Vega DX-3's (refoamed) along with a 8" Energy sub from the B speaker taps...................thump city.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #17,040 of 19,142
I know tone controls create much pro and con discussion however, the two previous Pioneer TOLs have a very nice implementation.  Two level controls for each bass and treble verses most of the the lower down the line and late 70s amps that use a turnover and tone control arrangement or simple bass / treble controls.

The sweet SA 8500 60w/ch, the SA 9500 II and the Spec One Pre Amp use this implementation also.

JMTC,
r2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back