Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Nov 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #16,711 of 19,143

haha that sounds like something I would do.....waiting for your next post that details how the speakers caught fire and exploded
basshead.gif

Seriously though,let us know how they sound im looking for a new pair of desktop speakers,the ones I have are kinda crap.

I actually run an Altec Lansing 2.1 system (6" sub) off my 80 wpc Pioneer SA-8800 via a Schoche line out adapter (converts speaker wire connections to RCA output) and they sound phenomenal on my office work system.  Also have same setup in my home office running off my Kenwood KA-5700 (40 wpc) feeding a 2.1 Logitech system with an 8" sub. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #16,712 of 19,143
Why do that when you can hook up a vintage set of Advent mini's or baby II's plus the mini subwoofer system with that receiver.
I have the SX-3800 running the bookshelf new vision 250 off the "A" speaker output, while the "B" speaker output is running the computer's Advent mini's and subwoofer system. The mini have 5" woofer cones while the subwoofer box has dual 6.5" woofers. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #16,713 of 19,143
Advent Mini Specs:
Mini Advent, Indoor/Outdoor Mini
MSRP=$230/pair 1992 Pricing
Model: A1004/A1085 (Outdoor)
Frequency Response=110Hz to 21kHz +/-3dB
Impedance=6to8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power=10-40 Watts
Sensitivity (2.83 volts @1 meter)=88dB
Crossover Frequency=4.5kHz
Resonance=85Hz +/-5Hz
Harmonic Distortion= <1.5% above 200Hz @ 1 Watt
Tweeter Dispersion (Variance 30° V or H to 13kHz)= <+/-1dB
Tweeter=1/2” polycarbonate ferrofluid filled hard dome
Woofer=5-1/4” high extrusion aluminum coil form
Cabinet Size (HxWxD)=11” x 6-1/2” x 5-1/2”
Weight=10 lbs./ea
Finish=Mini Advent: Solid pecan top and base, Indoor/Outdoor: black or white top and base.

Or try the baby's:
Baby II/Baby III
MSRP=$270/pair 1992 Pricing
Model: A1075 III, A1058 Black II
Frequency Response=60Hz to 21kHz +/-3dB
Impedance=6to8 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power=10-50 Watts
Sensitivity (2.83 volts @1 meter)=89dB
Crossover Frequency=4.5kHz
Resonance=79Hz +/-5Hz
Harmonic Distortion= <1.5% above 100Hz @ 1 Watt
Tweeter Dispersion (Variance 30° V or H to 13kHz)= <+/-1dB
Tweeter=1/2” polycarbonate ferrofluid filled hard dome
Woofer=6-1/2” high extrusion aluminum coil form
Cabinet Size (HxWxD)=16-1/2”x 11” x 6-3/16”
Weight=13 lbs./ea
Finish=Solid hackberry or black oak top and base, black textured vinyl over dense fiberboard

Now you can see why these mini's or baby's are better than today's computer speakers.

Nov 4, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #16,714 of 19,143
  Why do that when you can hook up a vintage set of Advent mini's or baby II's plus the mini subwoofer system with that receiver.
I have the SX-3800 running the bookshelf new vision 250 off the "A" speaker output, while the "B" speaker output is running the computer's Advent mini's and subwoofer system. The mini have 5" woofer cones while the subwoofer box has dual 6.5" woofers. 

Are the indoor/outdoor Advent minis the same? When buying a turntable a couple months back, the seller gave me 4 outdoor Advent minis for free with it. They've been sitting around unused.... forgot I had them actually.... when my new speaker wire gets in maybe i'll hook em up and see how they do.

Still though my recabled Z200's are way better than they should be.

I also have some of these I was going to try out when my new speaker cable gets here. Planning to just wire the drivers up as I did on the Z200, although I can use the reflex hole to run a wire in.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #16,715 of 19,143

I use the computer speakers because I had them for a few years now (since before I got into vintage), listen to headphones 99% of the time and have no need at work for more volume (and the Altec Lansing set really does sound excellent for my needs), have plenty of great speaker systems in use (check my profile) and can't benefit from the sound quality I'd get from a great suggestion as you offered. Thanks tho.....

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #16,717 of 19,143

Are the indoor/outdoor Advent minis the same? When buying a turntable a couple months back, the seller gave me 4 outdoor Advent minis for free with it. They've been sitting around unused.... forgot I had them actually.... when my new speaker wire gets in maybe i'll hook em up and see how they do.

Still though my recabled Z200's are way better than they should be.

I also have some of these I was going to try out when my new speaker cable gets here. Planning to just wire the drivers up as I did on the Z200, although I can use the reflex hole to run a wire in.

Yes all the mini are the same, just the metal or wood cabinet are the difference. Check out the specs above in my other thread.

Nov 7, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #16,719 of 19,143
I don't know what the output resistance is on the 9090, but it must be pretty high because my lower impedance cans don't sound great out of it, but again my 650's sound excellent and that's all that matters to me.

I do not know the resistor value on my concept 16.5 vintage receiver . The 16.5 sounds simply astounding on my akg 701s but my grado RS1S are just way too efficient to use with my concept unit . I have heard other dedicated headphone amps and none of them can touch the 16.5 with the akg 701s . I have to say the 16.5 just trumps any of my other dedicated headphone amps for driving phones . I have not been listening to my dedicated headphone amps lately the concept the dedicated headphone just has way more authority when driving headphones . I have heard some very powerful dedicated headphone amps but I do not hear the same sense of authority that I hear with the concept 16.5 . It is my superstar amp for driving my akg 701s .

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #16,721 of 19,143
  Anyone know how to do speaker refoaming or if it's worth it? Found out why the Advent Minis I got were free.... the outer foam ring has fallen off both of the drivers.
frown.gif

I have refoamed some Boston Acoustics.  Ordered refoam kits from eBay and followed the instructions.
Also reviewed some online instruction videos while waiting on kits delivery.  Worked out fine.

Not that difficult, just took my time.

I have a couple of subwoofers that I am planning to do soon. 

r2

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #16,722 of 19,143
I have refoamed some Boston Acoustics.  Ordered refoam kits from eBay and followed the instructions.
Also reviewed some online instruction videos while waiting on kits delivery.  Worked out fine.

Not that difficult, just took my time.

I have a couple of subwoofers that I am planning to do soon. 

r2

Thank you sir! I'll find out what size i need and order a set or two. Curious to know if these Advents are even better than my Alesis monitor one mk1's.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #16,723 of 19,143
  Anyone know how to do speaker refoaming or if it's worth it? Found out why the Advent Minis I got were free.... the outer foam ring has fallen off both of the drivers.
frown.gif

Try ebay for the CORRECT Advent refoam surround kits or look up the old fashion way in the yellow pages for speaker repair shops. Most shops charge around $25/ea per woofer for foam surround repair.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #16,724 of 19,143
BTW I am using two outdoor black mini's for the rear center surround and the mirage (baby II's look a likes) as my rear left/right surround of the home theater speakers. They too need refoam. All of these use 5-1/4" woofers, here in Dallas the speaker repair shop charges $20/ea woofer for the foam surround repair. So I mail the woofers to him and about a week later they ship the woofers back to me. This speaker repair shop has been in service since the 50's, mainly repair commercial speakers like dance club "disco" speakers, band equipment speakers. A nice mom and pop shop.
Good luck with the mini's repair.  

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #16,725 of 19,143
BTW I am using two outdoor black mini's for the rear center surround and the mirage (baby II's look a likes) as my rear left/right surround of the home theater speakers. They too need refoam. All of these use 5-1/4" woofers, here in Dallas the speaker repair shop charges $20/ea woofer for the foam surround repair. So I mail the woofers to him and about a week later they ship the woofers back to me. This speaker repair shop has been in service since the 50's, mainly repair commercial speakers like dance club "disco" speakers, band equipment speakers. A nice mom and pop shop.
Good luck with the mini's repair.  

Thanks a ton for the help & inspiration 3900! If the "real deal" kits are not too much I'll grab a set and do the work myself:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back