Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 29, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #16,636 of 19,142
Definitely one of the BEST threads. I have really learned a lot and enjoyed reading this over several weeks!

My current setup:

Denon DP300F with ortofon 2M bronze (overkill I know but I will upgrade the TT in the future) >  Sansui 3000a > PSB Imagine T's or Senn HD 600 cans

Digital is Macbook Pro > Musical Fidelity HPA V90 > etc same as above

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #16,637 of 19,142
  Definitely one of the BEST threads. I have really learned a lot and enjoyed reading this over several weeks!

My current setup:

Denon DP300F with ortofon 2M bronze (overkill I know but I will upgrade the TT in the future) >  Sansui 3000a > PSB Imagine T's or Senn HD 600 cans

Digital is Macbook Pro > Musical Fidelity HPA V90 > etc same as above

Welcome to the thread!

I want a pair of HD600s - Stereophile still has them listed as one of the best cans out there after many years.  Just looking for the right price.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2016-recommended-components-headphones#b6yaDQ8Z2RDGzeoB.97

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #16,638 of 19,142

Welcome to the thread!

I want a pair of HD600s - Stereophile still has them listed as one of the best cans out there after many years.  Just looking for the right price.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/2016-recommended-components-headphones#b6yaDQ8Z2RDGzeoB.97

Amazon has them for $287.95 right now. The lowest they've been for quite some time on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=cameltracker-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00004SY4H&th=1

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #16,639 of 19,142
Welcome to a great thread @rockster5 !!

I'm about to take my Hakko desoldering iron and get to work on my Technics SU-v76. Gonna redo the wiring to bypass several stops the signal doesn't need to make, replace all the potentiometers, and do a full recap while i'm at it... The darn thing is smaller than a lot of old VHS decks! gonna be the smallest receiver I ever worked on...

Oct 3, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #16,640 of 19,142
  Amazon has them for $287.95 right now. The lowest they've been for quite some time on there.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=cameltracker-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00004SY4H&th=1

I took the plunge.  Thanks for the tip.  Can't wait to give them a listen!

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #16,643 of 19,142
I inherited my uncle's Sansui AU-555A a couple of years ago and (regretfully) neglected to get it serviced until two weeks ago. Far flippin' out. Why for the love of God did it take me so long? I now have it hooked up at work PC (Foobar2000) > Audio-gd NFB-12 > Sansui AU-555A > Beyer 880s (600Ω) = Head-Fi Nirvana

Just blown away with the depth of bass, clarity of everything, soundstage - the NFB-12 by itself was good, but the extra power and dynamics that the Sansui amp brings to the 600Ω cans is ridiculous! :) 

Can you tell I'm happy? I'm preaching to everyone in the office and they've all agreed my set up sounds better than anything they've heard before...

...still a little crackle here and there, but for a 44 year old amp, I'm not complaining.

Although when I crank the start of White Zombie's More Human Than Human, my PA gives me a sideways stare... IYKWIM :wink:

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #16,644 of 19,142
  I inherited my uncle's Sansui AU-555A a couple of years ago and (regretfully) neglected to get it serviced until two weeks ago. Far flippin' out. Why for the love of God did it take me so long? I now have it hooked up at work PC (Foobar2000) > Audio-gd NFB-12 > Sansui AU-555A > Beyer 880s (600Ω) = Head-Fi Nirvana

Just blown away with the depth of bass, clarity of everything, soundstage - the NFB-12 by itself was good, but the extra power and dynamics that the Sansui amp brings to the 600Ω cans is ridiculous! :) 

Can you tell I'm happy? I'm preaching to everyone in the office and they've all agreed my set up sounds better than anything they've heard before...

...still a little crackle here and there, but for a 44 year old amp, I'm not complaining.

Although when I crank the start of White Zombie's More Human Than Human, my PA gives me a sideways stare... IYKWIM :wink:

Congratulations! i live with  the same WOW feeling with the sansui Au 7700, it is so good that i dont turn back to another amp. except Sansui...All my other amp were not on the same league at all...
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #16,646 of 19,142
 the extra power and dynamics that the Sansui amp brings to the 600Ω cans is ridiculous! :) 

I think ridiculous was one of my first thoughts as well , I picked up a Sansui AU2200 a couple of weeks ago and hooked it up and those extra dynamics where plain ridiculous.
I gave the pots a blast of contact cleaner externally which worked a treat now nice and quiet. I haven't looked inside as it sounded so good, I'm the second owner and its the
same age as me or within year at least. Speakers are not on my shopping list at the moment but is it best to get speakers of the same age?

So happy I snagged the Sansui it my not be a high end one but it good start.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #16,647 of 19,142

I think ridiculous was one of my first thoughts as well , I picked up a Sansui AU2200 a couple of weeks ago and hooked it up and those extra dynamics where plain ridiculous.
I gave the pots a blast of contact cleaner externally which worked a treat now nice and quiet. I haven't looked inside as it sounded so good, I'm the second owner and its the
same age as me or within year at least. Speakers are not on my shopping list at the moment but is it best to get speakers of the same age?

So happy I snagged the Sansui it my not be a high end one but it good start.

You can do well with speakers of most ages. There's no need to get ones the same age. If you want vintage, sansui made some good speakers (and a ton of mediocre ones) that still go for reasonable prices. I tend to prefer more or less neutral, accurate, and deeeeeep bass, so I don't lean towards the highly tonally colored speakers (i.e. anything before the 1970's, wharfedale....) I like the SP-5500x personally, but that's not a requirement. There are a few other noteworthy ones from other companies (JBL L100's [nice bass, but some noteworthy coloration on these. super cool to look at though...], Pioneer HPM 100's, mcintosh XR14 or XR16's). If you're looking for modern, the sky is the limit. In the budget range, I like the infinity primus p163 bookshelves and the p363 towers possibly paired with a decent woofer. If you've got more $$, you've got more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back