Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #15,588 of 19,142
When I got my 9090 last year I stopped buying vintage gear. I loved it that much. It was exactly what I was looking for. Just the right amount of warmth, with fantastic soundstage width and depth. Good luck, I hope you enjoy it

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #15,589 of 19,142
i am in love with my Sansui AU 7700... Just read about his many quality features and bought it for nothing ... He is so good that he drive my planars speakers with a touch of velvet sound, liquid mids that married with my Stax SR-5, way better than my Hitachi sr 904...
happy_face1.gif
  And the two Amp and earspeakers comme from the 1975 glorious  era.... a match made in heaven...

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #15,591 of 19,142
As frahengeo noted above, Audiokarma already occupies the vintage hi-fi gear niche. No need to reinvent the wheel, especially since there doesn't seem to be a rule against posting such items in the existing head-fi for sale/trade forum. I've seen vintage receivers for sale in the amplification section.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #15,592 of 19,142
As frahengeo noted above, Audiokarma already occupies the vintage hi-fi gear niche. No need to reinvent the wheel, especially since there doesn't seem to be a rule against posting such items in the existing head-fi for sale/trade forum. I've seen vintage receivers for sale in the amplification section.

Hey - have you ever checked the deadwax on your Cat Stevens to see if Lee Hulko signed it with his initials (LH)?  He is a record mastering engineer to die for.  Many audiophiles will collect everything he has signed due to the sound quality.  I have a copy of tea for the tillerman with LH on it.  As you might guess the sound is fantastic!  There are others in the same category (Herb Powers, Robert Ludwig, to name a few).  When I go to GW looking for vinyl the first thing I do is look for these signatures.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #15,593 of 19,142
  What we should have here is a Vintage section in the For Sale/For Trade forum.
Not for vintage phones but speakers, amps, receivers, tuners, tape reels/decks etc ...
Maybe a tip for the mods?

If you join at Audiokarma for $25, there's a subforum called Barter Town that has a huge amount of activity and usually good pricing. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #15,594 of 19,142
Hey - have you ever checked the deadwax on your Cat Stevens to see if Lee Hulko signed it with his initials (LH)?

Yeah, it's an LH, and it's fantastic. One of my best-sounding original (i.e. non-audiophile reissue) LPs. Others include David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, The Eagles self-titled debut, Paul Simon's Here Comes Rhymin' Simon, Jimmy Buffet's Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, Toto IV, Hall & Oates' Private Eyes, Fleetwood Mac's s/t debut and Rumours, Joni Mitchell's Blue, and the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.

My uncle gave me a couple hundred LPs the other week and I got really excited when I saw a Robert Ludwig pressing of Houses of the Holy, but alas there was no RL Led Zep II in the boxes.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15,595 of 19,142
Though I think it's primarely US based so not really a good place to buy speakers for me, a bit troublesome to ship something that size to Europe.  
Still, can't seem to get these out of my head as well, love the vintage look. I did hear them once, fairly nice sound for a small speaker but can't really be compared to the B&W PM1, totally different sound.
One more question: any Marantz 2385 fans here that prefer it to the Sansui or Pioneers?

Hi AppleheadMay,

My point regarding joining AK was specifically to answer questions like you've asked regarding vintage gear, and not as a place to buy/sell/trade gear.

Questions like:  (Marantz, Sansui, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Luxman?  Synergy with particular speaker brand/model?  Warm, or analytical?) may be answered over at AK.

Who knows, you may find yourself dividing your time between head-fi, and AK like I do.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15,596 of 19,142
Yeah, it's an LH, and it's fantastic. One of my best-sounding original (i.e. non-audiophile reissue) LPs. Others include David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, The Eagles self-titled debut, Paul Simon's Here Comes Rhymin' Simon, Jimmy Buffet's Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes, Toto IV, Hall & Oates' Private Eyes, Fleetwood Mac's s/t debut and Rumours, Joni Mitchell's Blue, and the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.

My uncle gave me a couple hundred LPs the other week and I got really excited when I saw a Robert Ludwig pressing of Houses of the Holy, but alas there was no RL Led Zep II in the boxes.

Ya, I hear the bass on RLs Led Zep II was so good that many needles would jump out of the groove.  I have three or four records from GW that had Ludwig (Matserdisk) in the runout.  Only one Herb Powers so far which is Sade's Promise.  Outstanding sound though.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #15,597 of 19,142

Hi AppleheadMay,

My point regarding joining AK was specifically to answer questions like you've asked regarding vintage gear, and not as a place to buy/sell/trade gear.

Questions like:  (Marantz, Sansui, Yamaha, Pioneer, or Luxman?  Synergy with particular speaker brand/model?  Warm, or analytical?) may be answered over at AK.

Who knows, you may find yourself dividing your time between head-fi, and AK like I do.
wink.gif

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was more of a trading site, mainly US. I came across it a few times when doing searches though.
I'll get myself signed up there and see what I can find.
Nontheless, I think I found myself some nice gear with help from headfiers and searching around the web.
I just wish I could try out a Pioneer as well right away. Comparing, discovering, part of the fun as well for me. :)
Well, maybe in a few months that 1280 if the price is right.

Thanks for all the help the past few days guys, really appreciate it. This is certainly a thread that will remain on my subscribed list.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #15,598 of 19,142

No not too much.  I hope you realize that there is almost never an amp which has too many watts of power.  Distortion is what blows speakers not clean watts with plenty of headroom. This is true for virtually any set up where you are not trying ton play the amp/speaker combo at its highest possible output.  I am sure you know what I mean.  Yes you can play a speaker beyond its limits but there are plenty of warning signs that you are exceeding the speaker's capacity.  So if you aren't playing heavy metal to a large packed party  room with small speakers and a weak amp you should be OK.
I am not a speaker expert, despite owning 9 pairs at the moment.  There are forums that do address speaker questions, I would try Audio Asylum speaker Asylum if I were you, and avail yourself of the search feature for any of the Asylums.  It is free to participate you may be asked to have an account to sell things can't  

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #15,599 of 19,142

No not too much.  I hope you realize that there is almost never an amp which has too many watts of power.  Distortion is what blows speakers not clean watts with plenty of headroom. This is true for virtually any set up where you are not trying ton play the amp/speaker combo at its highest possible output.  I am sure you know what I mean.  Yes you can play a speaker beyond its limits but there are plenty of warning signs that you are exceeding the speaker's capacity.  So if you aren't playing heavy metal to a large packed party  room with small speakers and a weak amp you should be OK.
I am not a speaker expert, despite owning 9 pairs at the moment.  There are forums that do address speaker questions, I would try Audio Asylum speaker Asylum if I were you, and avail yourself of the search feature for any of the Asylums.  It is free to participate you may be asked to have an account to sell things can't  

Yup you're right about that. But 270 real Watts, probably even more measured is a hell of a lot. I think I will do nice with a 185W  1280 for small bookshelves and mainly headphone use. But indeed, I did blow speakers once (or actually a drunk friend of mine blew one of my speakers) with a cheapo Kenwood from the 90s.

By the way, here's the link to the shop in Poland where I bought my Sansui from. Seems like a decent service.
Maybe of some help for people in Europe that are looking for vintage audio gear.
Probably a little more expensive than in the US but so is everything else here and they service their products before selling.
http://www.retroaudio.biz/?lang=en

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #15,600 of 19,142
...As to driving speakers, any tips for smallish speakers to connect to those amps? Those new vintage looking Pioneers fine for occasional use? Main use would be phones anyway.

If you want to go with modern Pioneer speakers, I really like the SP-BS22-LR, and they're an excellent value...

I use psb bookshelf speakers with my 980 in my study all day long.

They sound great together, but I wanted to get the Pioneers, however I was in India at the time and had to buy what I could find locally. The psb are great, sonically and aesthetically, but also substantially more money (especially in India :triportsad:). If circumstances had permitted I would likely have the Pioneers instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back