Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #15,526 of 19,142
The SX-3900 was a fun era...fully analog tuner but with a "digital" display. Many consider the 3900 to be the last real Pioneer monster receiver.

Skylab - I worked on one of these for a friend recently.  There are switches in the back right which connect via extenders to the buttons on front right panel.  These tend to get dirty over time (the tops are somewhat open to dust and dirt) and will eventually block the sound completely.  Doused them with DeoxIt and it came back to life and sounded terrific.  Definitely a receiver I would not mind having.  They can get fairly pricey on Ebay.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #15,527 of 19,142
Very nice find Rob! I hope your experiments find a worthy successor to the sx-1980! 
beerchug.gif

The 1980 might be the gold standard, but here and there, it's certainly possible to find some slightly better sounding items. Or at least cooler, more modern, digital, monster items.

Quote:
So I got a good deal on a fully restored and recapped SX-3900, and so I have replaced the SX-1980 in my basement system with the 3900. The 1980 is definitely better sounding, but the 3900 is still very good. I wanted some variety, and since the 1980 in my man cave rig will never, ever be replaced, the basement rig was the place to experiment. And it's been fun so far!

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #15,529 of 19,142
All,

How do we feel about the Sansui 9090? One just popped up today on CL that is very close to me for $650. No real details other than its in good condition and 'all original'. Once again, I'm looking for something that will be great for the HE-6, but also my TH-X00. My even be used on my custom 12" coaxial floorstanders... Just looking for general opinions on the unit from those who are familiar. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #15,530 of 19,142
i can't help you personally, TooPoor, as i've never heard a sansui 9090, but a member here, (SirMarc) owns one, and i'm sure when he sees this post he wouldn't mind giving you specific details from first-hand knowledge and experience with that particular unit.

i remember him mentioning this particular model fairly recently, here.

(judging by his impressions of the 9090 that i read, i think he kinda likes it!)
atsmile.gif

good luck in your search.

terry

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #15,531 of 19,142
  All,

How do we feel about the Sansui 9090? One just popped up today on CL that is very close to me for $650. No real details other than its in good condition and 'all original'. Once again, I'm looking for something that will be great for the HE-6, but also my TH-X00. My even be used on my custom 12" coaxial floorstanders... Just looking for general opinions on the unit from those who are familiar. 

i dont know for the 9090 but i have the Sansui au 7700 , and it sound very, very, good....
smile.gif
My best regards are for you....

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #15,532 of 19,142
All,

I love my 9090. Very good detail, excellent soundstage width and depth, strong but tight and well controlled bass, enough power to drive even my power hungry Dahlquist dq20 speakers and maybe most importantly, VU METERS!!! On the vintage warmth scale it falls in between Marantz and Pioneer. Check out Audio Karma, there's a wealth of information on the 9090 over there.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #15,533 of 19,142
Received my Aiwa AX-7600 yesterday. Put on a European plug and added an FM wire antenna (that thing was already getting good reception without an antenna).
Pretty nice tuner section I must say. But now I hooked it up to my simple Marantz HD-DAC1 which has a fairly standard DAC section but I always found to have a pretty powerful amp section with a nice mid-warmth. Listened to the Marantz for a bit then plugged the phones into the Aiwa. MAN! What a difference. Power, smoothness, lovely warmth! 
And the beauty: analog meters and tuner scale, the size and feel of the knobs, yellow backlighting (can't remember when I last saw that), reall glass ...
I must say MinedSafe did a really great job on restoring that amp and I'm glad I bought it.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #15,535 of 19,142
Need a little info here guys.

Trying to decide between a Marantz 2330B, Pioneer SX-1250 and Sansui 9090DB.
From what I read the last couple of years, the Marantz could be a bit too warm and bloomy, the Pioneer just a hint of warmth (and a little dry according to some) and the Sansui inbetween them.
Another set of options would be 2385, SX-1980 and G-9000. But where does one get those at reasonable prices?

Anybody here planning to sell an amp like that? My head is spinning from all the searches. 
Or any good shop where I could buy them, not an auction site?

Any advice on the three brands? I'm leaning towards the Sansui 9090DB.
Just wondering if that DB board fails it would be possible to find a replacement.
And yes, there's the 9090 without DB, but hard to find in good shape and the DB one seems to sound better as well.

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #15,536 of 19,142
I have had several of those. My Marantz was the 2285. I also had an SX-1250, and a Sansui 9090DB. They all sounded excellent in their own way. All of mine had been restored recapped except the 1250, because of course I went the SX-1980 route in the end.

Inspite of the restore, I had periodic issues with the DB board in my 9090DB which caused intermittent channel level problems. I would actually recommend a straight 9090 over the DB. But I personally liked the Pioneer sound better, obviously. The "dry" sound people find in the Pioneer receivers is due to the tantalum caps in the preamp section. Once those are replaced, they are glorious sounding. But all of the higher end receivers from that era sound excellent.

I'm actually selling one of my fully restored SX-1980's right now, but unfortunately you are on the other side of the ocean :wink:

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #15,537 of 19,142
I have had several of those. My Marantz was the 2285. I also had an SX-1250, and a Sansui 9090DB. They all sounded excellent in their own way. All of mine had been restored recapped except the 1250, because of course I went the SX-1980 route in the end.

Inspite of the restore, I had periodic issues with the DB board in my 9090DB which caused intermittent channel level problems. I would actually recommend a straight 9090 over the DB. But I personally liked the Pioneer sound better, obviously. The "dry" sound people find in the Pioneer receivers is due to the tantalum caps in the preamp section. Once those are replaced, they are glorious sounding. But all of the higher end receivers from that era sound excellent.

I'm actually selling one of my fully restored SX-1980's right now, but unfortunately you are on the other side of the ocean
wink.gif

Thanks for the info Skylab!

SX-1980? Is is dual voltage? And very expensive?  

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15,538 of 19,142
Need a little info here guys.

Trying to decide between a Marantz 2330B, Pioneer SX-1250 and Sansui 9090DB.
From what I read the last couple of years, the Marantz could be a bit too warm and bloomy, the Pioneer just a hint of warmth (and a little dry according to some) and the Sansui inbetween them.
Another set of options would be 2385, SX-1980 and G-9000. But where does one get those at reasonable prices?

Anybody here planning to sell an amp like that? My head is spinning from all the searches. 
Or any good shop where I could buy them, not an auction site?

Any advice on the three brands? I'm leaning towards the Sansui 9090DB.
Just wondering if that DB board fails it would be possible to find a replacement.
And yes, there's the 9090 without DB, but hard to find in good shape and the DB one seems to sound better as well.

I went with the 9090 because the dolby board on the db made me nervous. Very happy with my 9090, sounds awesome with just the right amount of warmth for me. I also think the straight 9090 looks better because the vu meters are centered. Good luck

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #15,539 of 19,142

I'm actually selling one of my fully restored SX-1980's right now, but unfortunately you are on the other side of the ocean :wink:

Damn bro, you like the 3900 that much? I see 3700's pop up around here pretty often for cheap, maybe I'll grab one...

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #15,540 of 19,142
Thanks for the info Skylab!

SX-1980? Is is dual voltage? And very expensive?  

Ahh, yes probably not dual voltage. And while I think I have priced mine slightly under market, the market price of a fully restored 1980 is undeniably expensive, yes. I have it listed at $3,750. Much less nice ones on eBay are listed for +/- $5,000.

I went with the 9090 because the dolby board on the db made me nervous. Very happy with my 9090, sounds awesome with just the right amount of warmth for me. I also think the straight 9090 looks better because the vu meters are centered. Good luck

Yup, a very good call. BTW the meter lamps on a 9090 are fuse-style and can very easily be replaced with blue LEDs which for the meters I think looks killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back