Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 22, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #15,406 of 19,145
I have chance to pick up a Sansui TU417 and AU417 for cheap. The guy is basically asking for me to pay for the tuner and is throwing the amp in for free. He states the amp has an intermittent loss of audio on one channel. I went to audition them and AU417 powers on and the protection light just blinks. It never stopped and therefore I was not able to listen to them.

Is this issue something that could be easily fixed?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #15,407 of 19,145
  I run a 1989 vintage Nakamichi TA-3 Stasis receiver in the master bedroom.   Bought it used in 2003 and its been bullet proof ever since :)  You can see the headphone jack on the lower left corner.

I have the TA-3A. Basically got it for free in a non-functional state. Had obviously been dropped as the back corner was smashed and all the knobs were either missing or broken off.

It has taken 2 years of futzing off and on, but finally have it working again. The smaller transformer and some larger components on the main amp board had broken their traces. Must've been a big drop. Now it's working and it sounds wonderful. Managed to piece the knobs back together and find some others that fit the missing ones.

Listening through headphones it is amazingly clear and dynamic. Tons of lower bass punch without sounding wooly or unbalanced.

Waiting on the funds and time to do a full re-cap and tune up. Planning on keep it as a backup receiver for the living room. Still need to find a functional remote.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #15,409 of 19,145

I have the TA-3A. Basically got it for free in a non-functional state. Had obviously been dropped as the back corner was smashed and all the knobs were either missing or broken off.

It has taken 2 years of futzing off and on, but finally have it working again. The smaller transformer and some larger components on the main amp board had broken their traces. Must've been a big drop. Now it's working and it sounds wonderful. Managed to piece the knobs back together and find some others that fit the missing ones.

Listening through headphones it is amazingly clear and dynamic. Tons of lower bass punch without sounding wooly or unbalanced.

Waiting on the funds and time to do a full re-cap and tune up. Planning on keep it as a backup receiver for the living room. Still need to find a functional remote.

No wonder it sounds good - that circuitry is licensed from Nelson Pass.  That man knows his stuff!

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #15,411 of 19,145
^^^purty
gs1000.gif
late 70s and 80s stuff had a sleek charm
darthsmile.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #15,412 of 19,145
thought i may have stumbled upon a possible "find" when i decided to pop into a pawn shop today (looking for stereo amps / receivers) and saw an older stereo amp on the shelf by a maker that i didn't recognize.  it looked like it was, maybe 1980's vintage and looking inside, all the component parts appeared to be original.  that can be seen as a negative, since this unit would probably need work (if not now, then shortly, since it's getting a bit long in the tooth, now), but original condition can be seen as a positive, too, since there are no signs of amateur tampering, the internal parts and the board all look "factory" original.  (or if anything has been replaced, it appears to have been professionally done).   

anyway, i copied down what this piece is, and i knew i wanted to run it by the folks who regularly read and contribute to this thread just to see (on the off-chance) whether this is a good piece that has existed "under the radar."  possibly a hidden gem, i was hoping for.

the name brand on the front of the unit had the three initials:  G L I.  and the model number is A-6300, then another badge on the right side of the unit says:  Concert 400W.

got home and looked it up, and to my dismay, found out it is DJ gear.  (blech).  the people most inclined to use this piece will be most interested in it for its' ability to "pump up the volume", instead of being interested in whether the unit sounds the least bit "musical", as far as accurately reproducing tonal and timbral qualities where acoustic instruments begin to sound believable and where an ear for this was foremost in the minds of the design engineers as far as "voicing" this piece. (or, whether this awareness even crossed the minds of anyone on the design team at all).

i very much doubt it.  it's probably a piece made to "thump" and to "play loud", with the people using it not having an appreciation for the accurate reproduction of a music recording.

however,

has anyone here heard or owned any of this particular brands' equipment, or this specific piece, by any chance?

the reason i'm posting is:   "you never know" (although common sense and a gut feeling is telling me it's not worth the bother to go back and set-up a listen, which i was unable to do today).

i'd like to be pleasantly surprised.  i would be using this piece mainly as a h/p amp for my akg 701's and lcd-3's.

just thought i'd run it by everyone here on this thread to see if it rings a bell with anybody.

or not.           

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #15,413 of 19,145
  I have akg 701s and audeze lcd2 v2s and might I suggest the concept line of vintage receivers from the late 70s . I bought a recapped concept 16.5 last year and it is just amazing sounding driving both my phones . But they may not be easy to find depending on where you live. Concept was a line of equipment produced for the pacific stereo chain back then. And the pricing on these units has been on the rise especially the 16.5 which was the top  of  the line  model . Another unit is the concept 11.0 or concept 12.0 which are also excellent units and are a bit cheaper being  second best unit in the line .

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #15,414 of 19,145
thank-you, buson.

congrats on acquiring the concept receiver.  i'm sitting here a bit envious.  (yeah.  were you just trying to be helpful to me in your post, or were you flaunting and just rubbing it in, as in "look what i got!").  ha, ha.

i'm just kidding.  i appreciate your reply.

the thing that's frustrating to me is that very few sought-after vintage pieces ever come up on my local craigslist (and i don't see any in the consignment shops or thrift stores, either).  i see tons of older a/v receivers (one of the latest that i looked at had the guy in the ad saying something to the effect "it sounds like the plane flew right through the room!").

sigh.  you see?  this is what we're dealing with these days.  the home theater crowd (which is the majority of buyers for home amplification).  most of this crowd either doesn't know or they don't care how important a role that the amplifier has in how the amp contributes to (or detracts from) the rendering of recorded music.

and, those of us who do know, and do care, have one helluva job finding exceptional-sounding gear these days where you feel that the sound signature of the amp was actually a concern of the amp designers and engineers. 

hunting for and eventually finding satisfying gear can make the search effort pay-off, and part of that can be fun (especially when you're rewarded when you are lucky enough to acquire a piece that seems to tic all the boxes. i was lucky in finding an older JVC piece years ago from a older repairmans' shop where toshiba output transistors and good-quality elna caps were used, (the elna caps may be the originals.  the last time it was serviced last year, i was told the caps were fine and just leave them alone for now).  but it was just dumb luck that made me pop into that out of town shop one afternoon.  (glad i did.  it's been the most satisfying amp, sound-wise, that i've ever owned).   

but, should it be this difficult?

strange days, indeed,  when someone like me who's searching for a musical-sounding amplifier for headphone listening is seen as an "out-lier", or someone in the extreme minority. which is what i feel like a lot of the time.  (none of my friends can relate to this.  they don't know what the hell i'm talking about.  they don't get it.  so i don't bother discussing it anymore).

just kidding with what i said above, buson, the concept is something i'll keep in mind.  but, i've never seen one of these come up locally, and i don't think i'd want to take the chance of getting one off ebay when i haven't heard it (and be taking the chance of it arriving, or should i say, surviving, shipping).  so, i would be extremely lucky to be able to have the chance to get my hands on one of these pieces.  unless, again, i'm willing to take the chance with shipping and handling.  

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #15,415 of 19,145
Hey terry,
Where abouts are you located and how far would you drive? Between the people on this thread, I bet we could take a look for you and maybe find something you've overlooked.

Quote:
  thank-you, buson.

congrats on acquiring the concept receiver.  i'm sitting here a bit envious.  (yeah.  were you just trying to be helpful to me in your post, or were you flaunting and just rubbing it in, as in "look what i got!").  ha, ha.

i'm just kidding.  i appreciate your reply.

the thing that's frustrating to me is that very few sought-after vintage pieces ever come up on my local craigslist (and i don't see any in the consignment shops or thrift stores, either).  i see tons of older a/v receivers (one of the latest that i looked at had the guy in the ad saying something to the effect "it sounds like the plane flew right through the room!").

sigh.  you see?  this is what we're dealing with these days.  the home theater crowd (which is the majority of buyers for home amplification).  most of this crowd either doesn't know or they don't care how important a role that the amplifier has in how the amp contributes to (or detracts from) the rendering of recorded music.

and, those of us who do know, and do care, have one helluva job finding exceptional-sounding gear these days where you feel that the sound signature of the amp was actually a concern of the amp designers and engineers. 

hunting for and eventually finding satisfying gear can make the search effort pay-off, and part of that can be fun (especially when you're rewarded when you are lucky enough to acquire a piece that seems to tic all the boxes. i was lucky in finding an older JVC piece years ago from a older repairmans' shop where toshiba output transistors and good-quality elna caps were used, (the elna caps may be the originals.  the last time it was serviced last year, i was told the caps were fine and just leave them alone for now).  but it was just dumb luck that made me pop into that out of town shop one afternoon.  (glad i did.  it's been the most satisfying amp, sound-wise, that i've ever owned).   

but, should it be this difficult?

strange days, indeed,  when someone like me who's searching for a musical-sounding amplifier for headphone listening is seen as an "out-lier", or someone in the extreme minority. which is what i feel like a lot of the time.  (none of my friends can relate to this.  they don't know what the hell i'm talking about.  they don't get it.  so i don't bother discussing it anymore).

just kidding with what i said above, buson, the concept is something i'll keep in mind.  but, i've never seen one of these come up locally, and i don't think i'd want to take the chance of getting one off ebay when i haven't heard it (and be taking the chance of it arriving, or should i say, surviving, shipping).  so, i would be extremely lucky to be able to have the chance to get my hands on one of these pieces.  unless, again, i'm willing to take the chance with shipping and handling.  

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #15,416 of 19,145

Just a couple of years ago it would not be this hard - the thrift shops (and CL) were full of this stuff and usually at reasonable prices (I remember getting a very nice Pioneer SX750 for $5).  From what I have seen the thrifts no longer have the gear available (they sell them on Ebay themselves as the word has gotten out).

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #15,417 of 19,145
thanks, PhoenixG, for posting.  you know, this thread is a "community", where everyone is brought together for sharing the same interest in this hobby.  but, a lot of us on here are separated by TIME ZONES!

we're from all over.

i'm near  raleigh, north carolina.  not many regular posters to this thread seem to be from my neck-of-the-woods.

i do plan on checking out some gear tomorrow, as i've come across a local guy who has (what looks to be, according to his ad) some interesting-looking pieces that are available for me to do some comparative-listening.  i came across him just as i was beginning my "lament post" here in the vintage thread.

he's nearby, so maybe he'll have something (out of all the pieces that he has there) that will scratch the itch (or, at least come close).  we'll see.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #15,418 of 19,145
yeah, SpeakerBox, i hear ya.  or, it could be that before somebody puts a vintage amp piece on ebay, they do their research, google the make and model, and threads like the one we're on now pops-up. 

the seller sees the popularity of some of these pieces, goes on ebay and sees the prices that some of these pieces are fetching, and the asking price immediately goes through the roof, sometimes irregardless of condition, or whether the piece has had any restoration work done.

of course, it is supply and demand.  they're not making any more vintage amps and receivers.

but, still,  everyone here that has ever submitted posts to this thread, has contributed somewhat to the wildly-inflated prices for vintage amps and receivers!

no, i'm being a bit facetious, here.  (but there is an element of truth in that).  (we're pricing our own selves out of the market!)

i'm just being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that last comment.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #15,419 of 19,145
yeah, SpeakerBox, i hear ya.  or, it could be that before somebody puts a vintage amp piece on ebay, they do their research, google the make and model, and threads like the one we're on now pops-up. 

the seller sees the popularity of some of these pieces, goes on ebay and sees the prices that some of these pieces are fetching, and the asking price immediately goes through the roof, sometimes irregardless of condition, or whether the piece has had any restoration work done.

of course, it is supply and demand.  they're not making any more vintage amps and receivers.

but, still,  everyone here that has ever submitted posts to this thread, has contributed somewhat to the wildly-inflated prices for vintage amps and receivers!

no, i'm being a bit facetious, here.  (but there is an element of truth in that).  (we're pricing our own selves out of the market!)

i'm just being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that last comment.

If you go look at them in person, you can usually talk them down by pointing out flaws like bulbs out, scratches, I'm going to have to spend hours taking this apart to clean it, I'm going to have to spend a few hundred getting it serviced, etc... I've never payed the asking price. For example, when I went to look at my 9090, the guy wanted 600 because of eBay pricing. I explained everything that had to be done to bring it up to spec and talked him down to 360

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #15,420 of 19,145
  thanks, PhoenixG, for posting.  you know, this thread is a "community", where everyone is brought together for sharing the same interest / hobby.  but, everyone here is separated by TIME ZONES!

we're from all over.

i'm near  raleigh, north carolina.  not many regular posters to this thread seem to be from my neck-of-the-woods.

i do plan on checking out some gear tomorrow, as i've come across a local guy who has (what looks to be, according to his ad) some interesting-looking pieces that are available for me to do some comparative-listening.  i came across him just as i was beginning my "lament post" here in the vintage thread. 

he's nearby, so maybe he'll have something (out of all the pieces that he has there) that will scratch the itch (or, at least come close).  we'll see.

SO a quick look around you has some good options - a Kenwood integrated, a pioneer SX-1980 (that's no lightweight haha! It'll scratch any itch you have), a sansui AU-717 (nice unit all around), a sony str-6055 (I have a bunch of that model line because they are seriously good and very reasonably priced), and some more heavy hitting pioneer equipment.
Not bad at all.
in no particular order:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/5409325937.html                    sony str-6055
https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/ele/5377329642.html         pioneer sa-8200-II
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/5406990224.html                sansui AU719
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/eld/5401155669.html        kenwood KA-7100
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ele/5392365887.html         pioneer sx-1980

Users who are viewing this thread

Back