Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 29, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #14,611 of 19,139
I've just joined you guys tonight. Bought a Pioneer TX-8100 & Pioneer SA-8100. Both units are in really good cosmetic shape and have been cleaned and lubed inside, perfect working order according to the seller.

Paid more than I should have but I have been trying to purchase these two components for a long time now and I never win the auctions because there is always someone else willing to spend more money. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to nab these and failed.
Well today I decided that I'm going to win these without fail and just spend the money I needed to make it happen.

Let me say this though, (if anyone cares) I was born in 1972. Not sure when I saw the 8100's for the first time but I was a little kid and my Dad owned these very same models. I just remember growing up in the 70's and watching my Dad sit in front of these each night with his headphones on just listening to records and his reel to reels. I remember the glowing lights, the dials and switches and just how very cool it all was. To me it was like a space ship cockpit. lol Funny I know but heck I was just a kid. He owned these two pieces up until the early 80's before he sold or traded them and brought home some Sansui equipment.

So for me it's like stepping back in the past, being that little kid looking up at my Dad and being amazed by his stereo equipment. I've wanted these two pieces for a long time now and I cannot wait to hook them up. Took me a long time but I got them in the end. Hope they sound as good as I remember! I doubt I'll be disappointed if they don't. I bet they will be better than most of the stuff I've owned over the years though. Doubt they will take the place of my Bryston but we'll see.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #14,612 of 19,139
@ Amish

Congrats on bringing home a bit of personal nostalgia. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #14,616 of 19,139
Beautiful Pioneer units, Amish - congrats. Those are excellent sounding too I'm sure - many people's favorite Pioneer line.

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #14,617 of 19,139
I know many of you guys don't usually go for speakers, but I thought this pair was worth a look if someone is looking for a nice vintage-ish pair. This isn't my listing and I'm completely unaffiliated. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-MCINTOSH-XR1051-47-STANDING-UNIFORM-FIELD-LOUDSPEAKERS-SPEAKERS-SYSTEM-/331588822498?

I have a number of this pair's smaller and bigger brother's and like the sound immensely. I know some of you guys also have the same (or almost the same) pair and like them.

To apologize in advance if this post seems too spammy, here are some pictures of my old Kenwood KR-9600. I hope you find the meters as soothing as I do.

And here's the little brother and big brother of those speakers.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #14,618 of 19,139
Yeah man, you should have kept that receiver. I'm loving the lights on my KR-7600. I'm amazed at the shape of this thing. It looks brand new. The guy I bought it from went to town on this thing. No dust or dirt inside and out. Glad I got it. Sounds really good with my tube dac too. Definitely better than my Asgard 2. Think my dynaco has a slightly better phono stage though. That's a bit of a bummer. Wonder if I could go tape out of the dynaco into the auxiliary jack's on the Kenwood. Hmm...

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #14,619 of 19,139
  I know many of you guys don't usually go for speakers, but I thought this pair was worth a look if someone is looking for a nice vintage-ish pair. This isn't my listing and I'm completely unaffiliated. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-MCINTOSH-XR1051-47-STANDING-UNIFORM-FIELD-LOUDSPEAKERS-SPEAKERS-SYSTEM-/331588822498?

I have a number of this pair's smaller and bigger brother's and like the sound immensely. I know some of you guys also have the same (or almost the same) pair and like them.

To apologize in advance if this post seems too spammy, here are some pictures of my old Kenwood KR-9600. I hope you find the meters as soothing as I do.

And here's the little brother and big brother of those speakers.

I have the 1051s and love them. I'd buy that pair if I had the extra scratch.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #14,620 of 19,139
Yeah man, you should have kept that receiver. I'm loving the lights on my KR-7600. I'm amazed at the shape of this thing. It looks brand new. The guy I bought it from went to town on this thing. No dust or dirt inside and out. Glad I got it. Sounds really good with my tube dac too. Definitely better than my Asgard 2. Think my dynaco has a slightly better phono stage though. That's a bit of a bummer. Wonder if I could go tape out of the dynaco into the auxiliary jack's on the Kenwood. Hmm...

It's all good. I've been on a great journey and one good thing replaces another. I'm happy with my Mc-equipment, my sony str-6120's, and the sx-1980. I think every piece of the audio chain should have to fight for its place in my rig, and I've found the most difference is between speakers over amps. Now I'm happy with my speakers and happy with my amplification (though that doesn't mean I won't try something 'new'). That's why I put up the listing for the guy selling those speakers. I think y'all'd like them if you happen to get them for the $350 or so that they're at now.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #14,621 of 19,139
I might be able to get my hands on some old McIntosh gear. I know a guy who's friends with an old audio engineer who has a wall of old McIntosh gear. He's supposed to let me know if the guy is interested in selling anything. My friend said he almost crapped his pants when he saw them in his warehouse. Cross your fingers for me...

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #14,622 of 19,139
Been working on my 2245 and lucky I got some donated parts from something else.

This poor 2216 was dropped or something because the whole back right corner was smashed in, but it still had its lamps and feet so I stole them for my working 2245.

still ended up being 1 lamp short.... but ohh well, I'll find the missing one sooner or later. Also replaced the old taped up cord, and cleaned as best I could. Couldnt find de-oxit anywhere locally so settled for some radioshack cleaner/lubricant. Volume pot is still a little scratchy and will need more cleaning and probably caps, but I have enjoyed working on this unit and reading about fixing up these old receivers. 

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #14,624 of 19,139
Off topic, but if any of you are even a little bit of a Jethro Tull fan, you have to pick up the Steven Wilson remixes of Aqualung and Benefit on vinyl. Listening to Benefit now and all I can say is wow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back