Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 11, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #14,326 of 19,142
Thought you all might get a kick out of this.  This is my vintage Leach Phono Preamp still in the breadboard stage (yes - it looks like a mess).  Sounds stinking good though.  The Leach design was ok for what it was when it was published 38 years ago, but nothing great.  That said it is amazing what some updated parts, additional filtering, and a dual mono implementation can do for sound.  I have literally had these boards in storage for 38 years - just never got around to building them.  I had two sets so made one a right channel and one a left channel with separate power supplies.  Soon it will act as one of the inputs to my Pass DIY B1 Buffer (in progress).  Very pleased with how it is turing out.  Still to come: better signal wiring, better I/O jacks, and the removal of some now unneeded coupling caps.  In the picture it is feeding the amp section of my 1250.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #14,327 of 19,142
  Thought you all might get a kick out of this.  This is my vintage Leach Phono Preamp still in the breadboard stage (yes - it looks like a mess).  Sounds stinking good though.  The Leach design was ok for what it was when it was published 38 years ago, but nothing great.  That said it is amazing what some updated parts, additional filtering, and a dual mono implementation can do for sound.  I have literally had these boards in storage for 38 years - just never got around to building them.  I had two sets so made one a right channel and one a left channel with separate power supplies.  Soon it will act as one of the inputs to my Pass DIY B1 Buffer (in progress).  Very pleased with how it is turing out.  Still to come: better signal wiring, better I/O jacks, and the removal of some now needed coupling caps.  In the picture it is feeding the amp section of my 1250.

What are your plans for the enclosure?

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #14,328 of 19,142
Still thinking.  Will want the B1 and the Leach in the same box.  So will have to plan well.   Any suggestions?

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #14,329 of 19,142
Look what just arrived at pedalhead's place...Luxman R-1120 in lovely condition 
L3000.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #14,330 of 19,142
Very nice, PedalHead! She's a beauty!

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #14,331 of 19,142
I am just visiting your thread .  I   want  to ask a fundamental question,.  Are the headphone circuits in a receiver like my Fisher 400 purpose built or  employing some kind easy shortcut taken from another circuit already serving a distinct purpose? Thank for an answer I hope this isn't asked all of the time. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #14,332 of 19,142
What many of us like about vintage amps and receivers is that there is no "headphone circuit"...there is just the amplifier, and the headphone out is the same amplifier that's used to drive speakers (often with a dropping resistor in place). Many modern amps and receivers do not power headphones from the main amplifier, and the headphone out is not very high quality. The headphone out of your fisher 400 should be great!

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #14,333 of 19,142
was torn on posting in here or starting a new thread alltogether but i have a problem with my pioneer sa 9500 

i recently moved and before the move it was working perfectly. i didnt even box this unit up i carried it by hand and had it sitting next to me in the car to ensure it wouldnt get damaged.

now when i plug it in it will light up but i wont be able to turn it off. it also occasionally makes clicking noises like its trying to engage the speakers or something. i havent tested to see if it works with speakers as im afraid to damage anything i plug into it but i did test the headphone jack with some throwaway koss headphones and a portable mp3 source and it worked but it was really noisy. sounded like **** frankly. the connection was sub optimal so im not ruling out the player and interconnects werent at fault but right now its looking like the pioneer is the main culprit

anyone know what could be wrong? im thinking of selling it for parts as is if the fix is too costly or complicated

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #14,334 of 19,142
So the power switch doesn't work? When you plug it in it comes on right away and the power switch doesn't turn it off?

Is the switch damaged physically when you look at it?

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #14,335 of 19,142
Sounds like something in the power circuitry.  The clicking noises are probably relays that are not getting enough current to fully engage - and then keep retrying (assuming that unit has output protection relays that is).  It may end up that it is something simple in the power circuit - loose wire or a bad cap.  You may want to have someone estimate the repair for you as the 9500 is a nice unit.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #14,336 of 19,142
If you are a DYI type you are OK, as some of the replys indicate. A bad capacitor you can replace or the power switch itself.  Otherwise like me you are at a loss when you try to find a tech who will work on it.  If it's a board that's burned forget it.  I hope you are OK but it sounds like a sell for parts.
I was looking on ebay for my old high school integrated amp a Kenwood 7100 a couple of days ago and found none for sale .  Just a few years ago there were many for sale mostly damaged I found out.  I don't know if this is a general trend but I keep looking. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #14,337 of 19,142
  Sounds like something in the power circuitry.  The clicking noises are probably relays that are not getting enough current to fully engage - and then keep retrying (assuming that unit has output protection relays that is).  It may end up that it is something simple in the power circuit - loose wire or a bad cap.  You may want to have someone estimate the repair for you as the 9500 is a nice unit.

yeah that actually sounds alot like what might be wrong with this. i might try to look into getting it fixed if the price isnt too high but in either case im most likely going to sell it. i originally bought it to power some passive speakers i no longer have and also for the awesome headphone out i used on my lcd-2's before i sold them. i have no real use for them anymore, better they go to a new home where it will be. it probably is a capacitor that went bad as i made sure to handle it with care during the move. the original owner never recapped, he had it in storage for 20 years or so

So the power switch doesn't work? When you plug it in it comes on right away and the power switch doesn't turn it off?

Is the switch damaged physically when you look at it?

the power switch sort of works. when the switch is off and i plug the power cord in the unit remains off but once i push the unit on, the light will remain on no matter what i do unless i unplug the power cord itself. im not really technical at all, i removed only the top part of the case to see if anything came loose or anything physically damaged but couldnt identify it.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #14,338 of 19,142
May be the power relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back