Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 24, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #14,267 of 19,142
Great collection!  Pioneer and Sansui! 

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #14,268 of 19,142
Pictures are always fun, right?

Here's a few more:

SX-1250 from the top

A facelift in preparation for deoxit treatment

Top of the 9090DB.  This thing was in near mint condition when I picked it up.  Still is.

The owner kept all the paperwork including the warranty card...

The SX-1980 looks good from all angles

hope you enjoy it...

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #14,269 of 19,142
  Pictures are always fun, right?

Here's a few more:

SX-1250 from the top

A facelift in preparation for deoxit treatment

Top of the 9090DB.  This thing was in near mint condition when I picked it up.  Still is.

The owner kept all the paperwork including the warranty card...

The SX-1980 looks good from all angles

hope you enjoy it...

What a great collection in superb condition! Having just one of those legends is enough for most haha!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #14,270 of 19,142
Frahengeo, your 1250 looks wonderful.  My 1250, while not as nice cosmetically as yours, is the first unit I have had that made me stop asking "whats next?".  I will never part with it.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #14,271 of 19,142
  Frahengeo, your 1250 looks wonderful.  My 1250, while not as nice cosmetically as yours, is the first unit I have had that made me stop asking "whats next?".  I will never part with it.

Thank you.

It has taken me countless hours of searching on CL as I refuse to buy one without seeing it ‘in person’ since its physical condition was somewhat important to me.  Also, most of these were acquired from the original owner, and there is always some story behind it.

Yes.  Of the receivers, I tend to go to the 1250 more often than others.  It sounds really sweet, and seems to have plenty of power.  At one point, I actually had two 1250, and had recently parted with the second unit.  The only gripe I have about these receivers is that it didn’t fit into my AV cabinet, and I had to build a separate cabinet to accommodate the widths of these pieces.

Do you use your 1250 to drive your headphones?  I've yet to try it, but based on my experience with other receivers from the same era, I have no doubt that it will sound really good.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #14,272 of 19,142
  Thank you.

It has taken me countless hours of searching on CL as I refuse to buy one without seeing it ‘in person’ since its physical condition was somewhat important to me.  Also, most of these were acquired from the original owner, and there is always some story behind it.

Yes.  Of the receivers, I tend to go to the 1250 more often than others.  It sounds really sweet, and seems to have plenty of power.  At one point, I actually had two 1250, and had recently parted with the second unit.  The only gripe I have about these receivers is that it didn’t fit into my AV cabinet, and I had to build a separate cabinet to accommodate the widths of these pieces.

Do you use your 1250 to drive your headphones?  I've yet to try it, but based on my experience with other receivers from the same era, I have no doubt that it will sound really good.

I have the SX-1050 and love the headphone out of it!  All the early heavy power Pioneers (80wpc and up) make great headphone amps.  I own 4 myself.............

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #14,273 of 19,142

My Sherwood 8900A is used as my HP system.  I have my SX1250 down in the man cave (i.e. basement) hooked to my large Advents.  The 1250 has been totally recapped and all boards resoldered with WBT silver. The sound is glorious!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #14,274 of 19,142
I took this glamour shot, apologies to people tired of seeing my vintage rig but it's still my pride any joy. What's new is the TASCAM BR-20 RTR
biggrin.gif

Tired? Never.
I liken shots of your rig to periodically delighting in a fav audio mag but online. It feels good to revisit popular shots!

Hi All,

I'm not a very active here as I am mostly a speaker (2-channel and 7.1) kinda guy.  I've enjoyed this thread, and wanted to share some of my 'vintage' stuff that I've collected over the last 3 years.

My Sansui 9090DB that I picked up locally.  Didn't work at the time, but I replaced all the fuse resistors on the driver board, and it's working now.  Some day it will need a complete overhaul, however...

Here is the 9090db on top of my G9000DB (all original)

Here are my Pioneer receivers

SX-1250:  This was recapped recently

And my SX-1980:  Being recapped by a local guy at this moment

I also have a Yamaha CR-2020, but no pictures
frown.gif

My sons are 12 and 8 years old, and I'm hoping that they will someday adopt this hobby, and I will give them these pieces.  Hey, a Father can dream, can't he?

How do they sound?  They all sound great, but the biggest differences is in the low-end when played at a decent volume (think 11 o'clock).  The 9090, and the Yamaha doesn't seem to reach down as low as the G9000 or either Pioneers.  The Pioneers, and G9000 simply sound effortless (tight) played through my Forte.

Great stuff!
smiley_thumb.gif
 Your vintage lovelies look, well...lovely!

Considering all the great Pioneer gear throughout this thread, I thought this news was relevant, and rather sad...

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Pioneer-s-exit-from-stereo-components-marks-end-of-era?n_cid=NARAN012

Sad. But at least with Sansui, the top engineers landed with Hashimoto to produce outstanding output transformers. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #14,276 of 19,142
Tired? Never.
I liken shots of your rig to periodically delighting in a fav audio mag but online. It feels good to revisit popular shots!

Skylab pics of that rig will never get old. Still stunning!!

Thanks guys :D It sure continues to give me great pleasure on a daily basis.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #14,278 of 19,142
Know how ya feel Rob. 

These two creatures were waiting for me tonight....................great end to a brutal day.  

Lose myself in the HE-6's and the bball on the muted tv.  Puts the 11 hour day and 8 meetings into perspective.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #14,279 of 19,142
Know how ya feel Rob. 

These two creatures were waiting for me tonight....................great end to a brutal day.  

Lose myself in the HE-6's and the bball on the muted tv.  Puts the 11 hour day and 8 meetings into perspective.

Ha! I did exactly the same after work as well...and sounds like we have at least somewhat similar jobs :mad:

Went into the basement to my "other" vintage rig and put some Dire Straits on with the Tourney on the TV with the sound off, like you did. Will do the same tonight and will take an updated pic of that rig :D

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #14,280 of 19,142
I rarely watch TV anymore - but when I do it is always with the TV sound off and music on one of my three systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back