Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #14,191 of 19,142
Very nice pictures of your vintage gear, very nice indeed.

Thanks for the kind words Reddog, I know that my photografic skill are not up to scratch particularly coming from a mobile phone but I guess the vintage gear is what saves it at the end of the day :wink:

Nice photos of nice equipment.................and you're right, it's a slippery slope.

I started with one little old Kenwood KA-5700....................8 vintage systems later (all being used regularly) I still look at Craigslist two or three times a week.

Thanks Oregonian, yes slippery slope indeed! I am at a point where I have to refrain myself from even looking at classifieds otherwise I just keep buying the damn thing, and the problem with vintage gear is it takes so much space (gee I sound like my better half talking). Let me put this way I've got all the fitout equipmant for a nice man cave - only problem is I haven't got one!

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #14,192 of 19,142
Beautiful setup, Willmax! I'm thinking a nice turntable needs to be in my future some time soon..

Thanks Pedalhead, yep your right – I don't think any nice vintage system is complete if it does not have a nice turntable connected to it IMO.
Before when I was strictly a Head-fi person I could not think of myself listening to anything other than music in digital format, the thing is ever since I started down the vintage hi-fi path I found that turntables and vinyl records brings a whole new dimension to musical listening and enjoyment. Nowadays putting on a record and listening to analogue music is part of my weekend routine, even having it as background music while I'm doing other stuff - it is so relaxing.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #14,194 of 19,142
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
  Lining up for PhoenixG's new gear pics.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #14,195 of 19,142

Thanks Pedalhead, yep your right – I don't think any nice vintage system is complete if it does not have a nice turntable connected to it IMO.
Before when I was strictly a Head-fi person I could not think of myself listening to anything other than music in digital format, the thing is ever since I started down the vintage hi-fi path I found that turntables and vinyl records brings a whole new dimension to musical listening and enjoyment. Nowadays putting on a record and listening to analogue music is part of my weekend routine, even having it as background music while I'm doing other stuff - it is so relaxing.

Drifting back into vinyl myself.  Lots of quality time at the Goodwill record rack.

Mar 11, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #14,196 of 19,142

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
  Lining up for PhoenixG's new gear pics.

Haha, I don't want to jinx it. It'll be a few weeks, but it's worth the wait... And I just want to thank my wife in advance for the understanding, because it's a purebred monster.

Also, my 1980 will be back in a few weeks as well from the recap by mattsd. There's a lot of good things happening in the pacific northwest.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #14,197 of 19,142
Nice PhoenixG, assuming that is the 1980?  And yes, an understanding wife is critical in this hobby.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #14,198 of 19,142
  Nice PhoenixG, assuming that is the 1980?  And yes, an understanding wife is critical in this hobby.

Yep, that's a picture of my 1980 that mattsd sent me. Looking better than ever on his bench. The wife has an absolute veto on any audio purchase, so the negotiations to make her happy can be the most important step. For the most recent acquisition, I had to agree to get back down to just 3 systems within 8 months. Everyone leaves happy or it doesn't get bought haha.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #14,199 of 19,142
Ya, I have the three system rule in place too.

Big rig (Rowland amps) in the family room,
The SX1250 in the man cave, and
Sherwood 8900A on the night stand for HP listening.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #14,200 of 19,142
Been a lurker in this thread for some time now and I am really wanting to try out some vintage receivers.
I have the LCD-3 and I am wondering which vintage receiver would match the best?
Marantz and Pioneer are often mentioned in this thread, but with the LCD-3 not so much. Advice is much appreciated!

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #14,201 of 19,142
  Been a lurker in this thread for some time now and I am really wanting to try out some vintage receivers.
I have the LCD-3 and I am wondering which vintage receiver would match the best?
Marantz and Pioneer are often mentioned in this thread, but with the LCD-3 not so much. Advice is much appreciated!

I'm not sure, but that set gets a lot of mention in this thread. Here's a link to a search of the thread. If that doesn't work, then you can do it manually. There's a lot of good combo's out there.  http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=lcd-3&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=537704&advanced=1

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #14,202 of 19,142

I have a lcd2 v2 with a cable pro reverie unbalanced upgrade headphone cable and I use a recapped concept 16.5 as a dedicated headphone amp . It drives pretty much any dynamic headphone easily.
It works very well with my lcd2 v2 delivering a very dynamic presentation and it basically loafs with any dynamic headphone out there . My akg 701s are a more difficult headphone to drive than my audeze phones and it drives them in a fashion that few if any dedicated headphone amps that I have heard can match.
   If you are curious about these vintage receivers check out the classic receivers on the net. They list quite a few of these vintage units and give some information about each of them. it might be a good place to start.  Another is my favorite receivers which lists the concept 16.5 among others .

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #14,203 of 19,142

I can only compare my 2005 Yamaha RX V657 with my Denon 635R (1992 ish)-but the Denon has a lot more kick with the HP out than does the Yamaha. I am using the HiFiman HE-560
which is somewhat hard to drive at 90 db at 1 mWatt. It is "Optical Class A" which I understand to mean it runs at Class A at lower output.
I notice a massive improvement in bass performance and some improvement with Dynamic Range over the Yamaha.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #14,204 of 19,142
I can only compare my 2005 Yamaha RX V657 with my Denon 635R (1992 ish)-but the Denon has a lot more kick with the HP out than does the Yamaha. I am using the HiFiman HE-560
which is somewhat hard to drive at 90 db at 1 mWatt. It is "Optical Class A" which I understand to mean it runs at Class A at lower output.
I notice a massive improvement in bass performance and some improvement with Dynamic Range over the Yamaha.
I have an 835r that I think sounds damn good with headphones, but good luck getting anyone to comment on it here. Guess its not old enough lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back