Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #13,531 of 19,142
On "31 October" 
smiley_thumb.gif
I'm gonna visit this thread to look at some real candy!

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #13,536 of 19,142
One of the most difficult pieces to get to the pots/switches adequately. It almost requires a complete dismantling to get to them. It could be a bit overwhelming for the inexperienced novice for sure. To  the point where it would require a professional to deoxit properly. That's about the only negative I can say about this wonderful receiver. As much as I love the sx1250, I like this one quiet a bit better.

Oct 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #13,540 of 19,142
Well it sure looks great! And I'm sure it sounds great too! I love seeing these big flagship receivers getting cleaned up and put to good use.

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #13,544 of 19,142
OK ladies and gents, I've read through the first 100 pages of this thread (and the last few) and I have to admit, I'm both interested in picking something up and a little bleary-eyed.  I'd like to run a few models by your esteemednesses (is that a word?) so you can help me pick one out that will best suit my needs.

I'm going to be powering a pr. of older VMPS bookshelf speakers that are 4 ohm jobbers.  It's just something to have so I don't need to use the crappy TV speakers.  When the time comes, I'd also like to power a pr. of Hifiman orthos off the speakers taps, hopefully HE-5LEs (diligently saving up for these).  I looking for something on the neutral to warmish side but not sloppy warm.  Here's the other thing.  The budget is limited and always will be as I'm on a fixed income.  So no SX-1980s in my future, Skylab.

These are all off of fleabay, can't find anything on CL in my area.  That's hat I get for living out in the sticks.  Here goes:

Kenwood KA-7100 integrated, buy at $139, 60 wpc, cleaned, deox'd

Luxman L-480 integrated, bidding open at $136 (for another 15 hours), 70 wpc, original as is

Luxman L-430 integrated, bidding open at $41 (for another 2+ days), 105 wpc, original as is

Yamaha A-1000 integrated, bidding open at $21 (for another 1+ day), 100 wpc, original as is

Yamaha CR-620 receiver, buy at $40, 35 wpc, as is.

My concern with the Yamaha receiver is it may not handle my 4 ohm speakers well.  I did a bunch of searching on the net but couldn't find any info about this.  The other four options definitely can.  Any and all opinions welcome.  And please offer explanations too.  I haven't owned a piece of gear like this for over 35 years; that was a Marantz 2270, my first piece of high-end audio equipment bought back in 1977.

Thanks.  Bill

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #13,545 of 19,142
  OK ladies and gents, I've read through the first 100 pages of this thread (and the last few) and I have to admit, I'm both interested in picking something up and a little bleary-eyed.  I'd like to run a few models by your esteemednesses (is that a word?) so you can help me pick one out that will best suit my needs.

I'm going to be powering a pr. of older VMPS bookshelf speakers that are 4 ohm jobbers.  It's just something to have so I don't need to use the crappy TV speakers.  When the time comes, I'd also like to power a pr. of Hifiman orthos off the speakers taps, hopefully HE-5LEs (diligently saving up for these).  I looking for something on the neutral to warmish side but not sloppy warm.  Here's the other thing.  The budget is limited and always will be as I'm on a fixed income.  So no SX-1980s in my future, Skylab.

These are all off of fleabay, can't find anything on CL in my area.  That's hat I get for living out in the sticks.  Here goes:

Kenwood KA-7100 integrated, buy at $139, 60 wpc, cleaned, deox'd

Luxman L-480 integrated, bidding open at $136 (for another 15 hours), 70 wpc, original as is

Luxman L-430 integrated, bidding open at $41 (for another 2+ days), 105 wpc, original as is

Yamaha A-1000 integrated, bidding open at $21 (for another 1+ day), 100 wpc, original as is

Yamaha CR-620 receiver, buy at $40, 35 wpc, as is.

My concern with the Yamaha receiver is it may not handle my 4 ohm speakers well.  I did a bunch of searching on the net but couldn't find any info about this.  The other four options definitely can.  Any and all opinions welcome.  And please offer explanations too.  I haven't owned a piece of gear like this for over 35 years; that was a Marantz 2270, my first piece of high-end audio equipment bought back in 1977.

Thanks.  Bill

Too bad you do not have the 2270 anymore that must have been a decent piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back