Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #13,441 of 19,136
Another thing I notice is maybe a lot of people don't like yamaha or something because for the same comparable product the marantz always goes for a higher price than the yamaha.  That goes for the pioneer too.  Both marantz and pioneer always goes for really high price on ebay.  If you could live with yamaha sound you could get such a great deal.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #13,442 of 19,136
Well in that case the Yammy probably isn't for me. I had decided not to get it anyway...just can't part with either of my SX-1980's :D

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #13,443 of 19,136
Either way that is still a beautiful restore yamaha cr 2020.  I would've try to get it if I didn't have the ca 1010 already.  Hope someone get a good deal on it and enjoy a good old vintage amp.  My yamaha look beat up compare to that one.  Cabinet look really good and the front plate look extremely pristine for a vintage amp.  I wonder if he would take my marantz 1152dc plus cash for it lol.  Doubt it thought.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #13,444 of 19,136
Indeed it is I agree! Whoever does get it will undoubtedly get a very nice piece of kit.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #13,445 of 19,136
Thanks for the warm response guys! To be completely honest I wouldn't know anything about the "classic McIntosh sound" considering my experience, but maybe I'll get to experience it later on (probably after college and whatnot). Till then, I'll be happy with what I've got, and keep an eye out for good deals. You guys know so much about all this equipment, I'll be floored to ever know half as much! Thanks again!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #13,446 of 19,136
@Phoenix

I'm really surprised you left the sx1980 off the list of receivers on par with Mac separates. Or is it the sx1980 is so good it's ahead of mcintosh and not on par?

Well Moody, you did pick up on something intentional. I think when it gets back from the restoration, the 1980 will be every bit as good as a separates system, maybe even better than most (I like to think any) of them. For example, I think the sx-1980 tuner sounds better than an unmodified MR-78, the 1980 has more features that any of the competitors, and dang if it isn't popular as anything out there. However, the great separates system to which it was compared is still better than my unrestored 1980.

The unrestored 1980 was just a shade less fantastic tonally than the G-9000. The sansui was a micron sweeter with ever so slightly more presence compared to the cooler 1980. The sony str-6120 has very similar to the g-9000 sound with similar deep bass. They were extremely close. I remember posting a detailed comparison probably 6 months ago where I was really split since I could only keep one. The sound was so close that I had to think bigger picture to make the choice. The sansui has blue dials (which is a big point in my book haha) and convenient speaker taps, but it also has a few parts that are replaceable, but unobtanium to do perfectly. The 1980 has a few more cool buttons and features, but is not blue. It was also in a bit better shape. Lastly, I think the restore will resolve all the issues I had and provide me the best version possible of the sx-1980.
In the end, the g-9000 went to a good home and ended up financing the full restore on the 1980 by mattsd. I think the 1980 is just the one piece I would want to pass down if I could only choose one.

Also, let's be fair here, about any good McIntosh separates system costs more than a 1980 or g-9000, so the fact that there is a comparison is highly flattering.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #13,447 of 19,136
  Thanks for the warm response guys! To be completely honest I wouldn't know anything about the "classic McIntosh sound" considering my experience, but maybe I'll get to experience it later on (probably after college and whatnot). Till then, I'll be happy with what I've got, and keep an eye out for good deals. You guys know so much about all this equipment, I'll be floored to ever know half as much! Thanks again!

Don't be so hard on yourself! 
ksc75smile.gif
 I remember recommending the mac 1900 to you when you were looking for a good stereo in your budget. You managed to find a GREAT stereo for a price people would swoon at. Are there better ones out there? Almost always. But you're sitting on K2 looking at Everest and saying "dang, I could have done better."
You've managed to bypass years of searching, climbing, and trading up that people do by starting really high up. Everything else is incremental at this point.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #13,448 of 19,136
Well in that case the Yammy probably isn't for me. I had decided not to get it anyway...just can't part with either of my SX-1980's
biggrin.gif

I would love to own a sx 1980 one of this day. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #13,449 of 19,136
Blue moon rising...

Spring 2013, I took the rare opportunity to purchase a Sansui G-22000. And reluctantly sold it summer 2014. Even rarer was its repurchase, which took place earlier Monday on the last day of summer...what a summer.
popcorn.gif

Silent One
Team Sansui (Retired Active)

Sep 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #13,450 of 19,136
Blue moon rising...

Spring 2013, I took the rare opportunity to purchase a Sansui G-22000. And reluctantly sold it summer 2014. Even rarer was its repurchase, which took place earlier Monday on the last day of summer...what a summer.
:popcorn:
Silent One

You bought it back from wotts????

Congrats buddy!

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #13,452 of 19,136
  Well Moody, you did pick up on something intentional. I think when it gets back from the restoration, the 1980 will be every bit as good as a separates system, maybe even better than most (I like to think any) of them.

I know the SX1250 is probably not quite as good as a 1980, but my restored 1250 is pretty good.  Stunning sound really.  That said when compared to my Jeff Rowland amps it still lacks that nth degree of refinement and detail that the Rowlands provide.  There is always something better I guess.  They say that Jeff's newest solid state amps are indistinguishable from tubes.  Too pricey for me though.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #13,453 of 19,136
My Cary SLP-05 preamp and Sunfire Signature 600 power amp are a level of refinement above my SX-1980, no doubt. But I actually listen to my vintage Pioneer system more often than my "modern" uber-fi rig. Partly it's because the vintage rig is in the loft style attic of my house and I can crank music up there any time without regard to what the rest of my family may be doing, but part of it is I just like the sound of the vintage rig that much. It may not be quite as audiophile approved, but it sure makes music well :D

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #13,454 of 19,136

Blue moon rising...

popcorn.gif

Silent One

You bought it back from wotts????

Congrats buddy!

Yes, thanks. A fine head-fier, that wotts! 

beerchug.gif

Also, on that note, if anyone has a G-22000 they are looking to move....
evil_smiley.gif
  In reality, I'll probably go for the MHA-100 now.

They say Autumn is a season of harvest...let's see what the Big 'G' returns! Thanks kindly, for making it possible. Can you imagine the "**** ***" filled reply I would have gotten potentially from a buyer I didn't know?!
dt880smile.png

My Cary SLP-05 preamp and Sunfire Signature 600 power amp are a level of refinement above my SX-1980, no doubt. But I actually listen to my vintage Pioneer system more often than my "modern" uber-fi rig. Partly it's because the vintage rig is in the loft style attic of my house and I can crank music up there any time without regard to what the rest of my family may be doing, but part of it is I just like the sound of the vintage rig that much. It may not be quite as audiophile approved, but it sure makes music well
biggrin.gif

Your example reminds me a lot about food in similar fashion. Most of the time, my soul is stirred by food from down home (NOLA) - family and the proverbial hole-in-the-wall joints.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #13,455 of 19,136
My Cary SLP-05 preamp and Sunfire Signature 600 power amp are a level of refinement above my SX-1980, no doubt. But I actually listen to my vintage Pioneer system more often than my "modern" uber-fi rig. Partly it's because the vintage rig is in the loft style attic of my house and I can crank music up there any time without regard to what the rest of my family may be doing, but part of it is I just like the sound of the vintage rig that much. It may not be quite as audiophile approved, but it sure makes music well
biggrin.gif

Yes, I know what you mean.  I am listening to the 1250 more and more for exactly the reasons you have listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back