Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #12,571 of 19,136
  Google is your friend.  http://www.analogalley.com/osccart/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=299

This time, nothing on your Mitsubishi models on hifienhene - except pictures :

http://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/images/mitsubishi-m-a4200-stereo-power-amplifier.shtml

http://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/images/mitsubishi-m-pf5200-preamplifer-tuner.shtml

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36757414@N04/4601980758/in/photostream/

From the last pics it is clear output stage is implememented by STKs.

Never saw any Mitsubishi gear in flesh, but some were supposedly quite decent indeed - particularly the modular series predating your units ( around 1989) by about a decade.

I Googled the heck out of both pieces but didn't find anything other than pictures and a few posts on AK about possible wpc. What is "STK"? I'm not familiar with that.

May 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #12,572 of 19,136
  I Googled the heck out of both pieces but didn't find anything other than pictures and a few posts on AK about possible wpc. What is "STK"? I'm not familiar with that.

STK is a power amplifier in a "chip" which mounts directly to the heat sink (please see the pic on Flickr). It has been mentioned/covered in this thread on several ocassions.

Mitsubishi gear did sometimes push the absolute limits - particularly in speakers, introduced roughly shortly after PCM and CD, to subsatantially improve upon anything that went on before. Only a handful of pairs are known to be in the US - whenever these were compared to "usual suspects", those Mitsubishi speakers always came on top.

Next to unobtainium outside Japan - and loads of $ if available for sale within Japan.   

May 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #12,573 of 19,136
Hi,

here's my baby marantz 2215b which I got for $80 locally - cosmetics quite nice - needed caps, lamps, vellum and lampbox painting.

Sounds great with my phones or speakers (I have bookcase speakers with an active sub so the 15W are quite sufficient).

Joachim

May 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #12,574 of 19,136
  STK is a power amplifier in a "chip" which mounts directly to the heat sink (please see the pic on Flickr). It has been mentioned/covered in this thread on several ocassions.

Mitsubishi gear did sometimes push the absolute limits - particularly in speakers, introduced roughly shortly after PCM and CD, to subsatantially improve upon anything that went on before. Only a handful of pairs are known to be in the US - whenever these were compared to "usual suspects", those Mitsubishi speakers always came on top.

Next to unobtainium outside Japan - and loads of $ if available for sale within Japan.   

The STK-4044V shown in the flickr pic is actually available for $10 or so on ebay... but in general, yes STK chipamps can be a pita to get spares for - I'd avoid stuff with these that needs repair.

Joachim

May 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #12,575 of 19,136

The STK-4044V shown in the flickr pic is actually available for $10 or so on ebay... but in general, yes STK chipamps can be a pita to get spares for - I'd avoid stuff with these that needs repair.

Joachim

That was the general idea behind my reference to STKs.

It also means it is wise to check out service manual for your intended new addition of vintage gear BEFORE the purchase - in order not to stumble upon Unobtainium part$.

But I was pleasently surprised by the sound some better amps with STK can produce - one that is OK is
Technics SU-C03, despite the use of STK.

May 19, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #12,576 of 19,136
  Hi,

here's my baby marantz 2215b which I got for $80 locally - cosmetics quite nice - needed caps, lamps, vellum and lampbox painting.

Sounds great with my phones or speakers (I have bookcase speakers with an active sub so the 15W are quite sufficient).

Joachim

I do really enjoy the blue dials... cheers
beerchug.gif

May 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #12,577 of 19,136
  Hi,

Joachim

Welcome to the marantz club. Some would disagree, but there isn't a better vintage IMO than a 70s marantz.

May 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #12,578 of 19,136
i noticed that my JVC RX-317 started to "cut out" at the h/p jack about a week ago.  (if you would carefully "jiggle" the headphone termination, like you would "jiggle" a toilet handle), the sound would be restored.  i wondered whether to get this problem fixed, and then i decided to check craigslist to see if there was anything out there locally that was similar.

turns out, a JVC RX-664V was available about an hour away.  i picked it up saturday.  it seems to have most of the "punch" of the RX-317, while giving you a bit more bass definition.

i've decided that it was worth it to (give up, by just a little bit) some of the "slam" of the 317, if i would be gaining a bit more nuanced detail with the new JVC piece.

i put on "invitation" by patricia barber last night, and i am hearing more subtle detail (both in the acoustic grand piano, as well as the acoustic bass.  i'm getting a bit more "harmonic" information from the piano, especially when chords are sustained, and hearing more detail in the bass, as the bass player moves his fingers from one string to the next and when two strings are played at once.  it was a kick to get more detail out of this tune (that i was already very familiar with).  so a subtle change was noticeable.

also received my JPS Labs UltraConductor 2 interconnects (which seem to pair very favorably with my existing components).

i've been auditioning different types of cable recently on loan from the cable company, and these JPS interconnects seem to pair the best with the Audeze LCD-3. (to my ears, anyway). this interconnect preserves the depth and quality of the low-end, which the LCD-3 is known for, while at the same time "smoothing-out" the upper mids and high frequencies (which, to my ears anyway has always been the "achilles heel" of this headphone).

the interconnecting cable is also a very important part of "component matching", too, in my opinion.

it seems JVC did make some subtle changes that you can notice from the h/p out, even within this "RX" series, but in my opinion the sound was improved a bit, with this newer piece that i have.   remember, though that i'm only judging the h/p out only, as i haven't even hooked this new piece up to speakers yet.

this piece isn't as "sexy-looking" as my carver integrated, but i really do appreciate the h/p out that JVC was using during this time period.

(and with the piece being all black, i no longer have a piece in my rack "sticking out like a sore thumb" any longer!).  it looks a lot better with the other audio pieces i have in the rack.

May 22, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #12,582 of 19,136
I just thought I would post a couple of projects I've been working on recently. I recently bought a few defective vintage irons with the most recent being a mcintosh mc-2505 and more recent a mcintosh ma-6200(one of the few that's on my very short list to one day own). I'll start with the 2505. The ebay seller listed this as one channel working with a couple of heatsink transistors missing and with the face plate being in great shape. Well this is what I received.

The one piece of bubble wrap you see in the third picture is all of the packaging that was used; no kidding. Well to be fair, it was double boxed. But the outer box was just large enough to accommodate the inner box. One funny thing, in his defense he tried to point out how it was double boxed. lol. And of course he refused to do anything to make it right. He wouldn't even accept any return whatsoever. And to make matters worse, it was missing a lot more than a couple of heatsink transistors. It was missing those along with the amp boards electrolytics, a few resistors, diodes, and transistors. Not to mentions about 20+ other bad parts. So this ended up being a much larger project than I anticipated. But here are the results.

How does it sound? Well I can say I can see what the fuss is all about with this one. It sounds a lot like a less powerful 2205. But not quiet up there with it overall, but still better than anything else I've owned with exception of the fisher. But right up there with it also. Very dynamic powerful sound. The bass is just explosive, and the mids have just a slight sweetness to it. It does not have the silky highs of a g9000/901, but the 2505 highs sound just a tad bit more airy from what I remember from the g901 with not harshness whatsoever. But the ma6200 is just as impressive and in some ways more so. And since it's a one box solution, I'm going to keep it in favor of the 2505 since I would need to shell out a good bit of cash for a preamp.

May 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #12,583 of 19,136
Much more to come later regarding the 6200. The physical condition was much worse than the 2505, but the seller was honest about it, and packed as if it was a new amp. Pretty much the opposite of what the 2505 seller did.

May 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #12,584 of 19,136
eek.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Your being competent goes a long way in overcoming the shady. I'd have more of a burden from bad deals-exchanges-experiences with vintage lovelies since I've not yet graduated to restoration. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #12,585 of 19,136
Wow, it sure looks like a professional restoration!

Did you get any kind of partial refund from paypal/ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back