Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #121 of 19,142
LOL no worries. i got it off the local CL. been spyin it for quite a while but apparently, there werent much bites on it plus the owner lives wayyyy out in the 'burbs (1/2hr drive from downtown but to us wetcoasters, thats the sticks! heh). over here yonder, Marantz & 'Suis are the big hitters. Kennies & Techies usually go under the radar & decent deals can be had. sides us Canucks are cheapskates...biggggtime! hehe. 

i kinda wait a bit & circle da wagon a few times before goin fo the kill! ahahaha. seriously though, i have amps up da wazoo (& then some) so i havta luxury of walkin away til i find the "rite" deal. esp since in using them primarily as headamps, sonics is my main concern much rather than big wattage - though i wouldnt kick the big boys outta ma bed if they were to miraculously make me a housecall. heh

Quote:

25bucks? WOW. Nice pick-up! What sort of place did you score that, may I ask?

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #122 of 19,142
I spent some quality time with my new vintage sansui g3000 and it isn't disappointing me. It's powerful, the tuner is great, sound is detailed and a tad darkish. The headphone out turns out to be very good. I plugged in my k500s and to my surprise it drives them almost on a par with the graham slee solo. Funny thing is, listening to the radio (antenna, not digital or cable) over the headphone out gives better sq than listening to lossless files through my dac. Not sure how that is possible, but I'm liking it.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #123 of 19,142
If you get good reception, and have a station that is putting something good out, the sound from FM can be astonishingly good.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #124 of 19,142
Yes, indeed. I am used to the reception being good around here and with the sansui tumers I have, but when I was listening through the k500s, the bass was astounding. Not the quantity, but the quality and texture. Soundstage is also very good, as is detail.

Quote:
If you get good reception, and have a station that is putting something good out, the sound from FM can be astonishingly good.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #128 of 19,142
yup them be a fine lookin stack! vintage Pioneer rockssss....hell all vintage from the "Golden/Silver Era" rocks! i love em the retro looks & theres nothin like walkin into a room lit with a wall of vintage gear! 

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #129 of 19,142
Nice stack!
btw, the reel to reel is on the bottom
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #133 of 19,142
I just found a Pioneer SA-8500 on craigslist for $75. It looks to be in good condition and the owner says it all works. Is $75 a good price for this? I'd be using it with Jamo-E660 tower speakers 6ohm.

It sure looks amazing!
http://oldaudioarchives.com/images/p/Pioneer_SA-8500_classicaudio.jpg

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #134 of 19,142
it sure does look pretty. i say go for it. 75 dollars is a great price if it does in fact all work without issues on all inputs and outputs.

Quote:
I just found a Pioneer SA-8500 on craigslist for $75. It looks to be in good condition and the owner says it all works. Is $75 a good price for this? I'd be using it with Jamo-E660 tower speakers 6ohm.

It sure looks amazing!

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #135 of 19,142
if it were me, i've be all over it like bees to honey! LOL. these pioneer integrated have an awesome industrial look to them. IMO u wouldnt be over paying at $75 but cheaper is always best heh. O & a woodie case would truly be the icing on da cake for me. make sure it works, all knobs & switches are intact & all lights light up. when testing do a thorough check on all controls including tonal & balance. try & talk down the price if u find scratchiness or static noise when u turn the controls.

make sure u give it a good dusting & cleaning with a good contact cleaner on all controls & switches. wait till its all dry & hook up ya speakers & fire her up. sit have a coffee (or smoke) & enjoy,

ps:theres a SA-8500 & a SA-8500 II with the former touting 60w rms & 80w rms for the later. goodluck
Quote:

It sure looks amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back