Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #13,306 of 19,142

beerchug.gif

Just got home, time to flick the ignition switch and light the pilot. 
normal_smile .gif

- The pilot is lit!
- Receiver now out of protection mode
- Twin turbo mono fans at full thrust
- Bypassing warm-up period in favor of low speed operation...for now. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

A pix to represent the overnight session:

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #13,307 of 19,142
Geeeeeez what is with this month... I've tried to get a few things on craigslist recently and no luck at all. a Pioneer SX-636 for $50 (No response) the Kenwood KA-9100 (no response) a Marantz 2252B (no reply after the initial first response a week before) a Pioneer SX-850 (no response) but it looks like they will only sell it at $600 with a crap TT, cassette player and a rolling cabinet I don't want... The pioneer speakers they have look decent though. I emailed if they'd just sell the receiver or maybe both the receiver and speakers but doubt I'll get a reply. I emailed about a Pioneer SX-1250 I offered $400 (wants $800) but I was kinda told off just a bit ago in their reply... $800 in his dreams... Eugh.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #13,308 of 19,142
icon_thumbsdown.gif
 Getting told off goes against the spirit of this wonderful hobby. If the seller is not careful, he/she will soon learn iron can and does rust. 
wink_face.gif
 Sometimes, karma accelerates this process.

Still some summer left, harrinj, hope you score an impressive find!

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #13,309 of 19,142
Geeeeeez what is with this month... I've tried to get a few things on craigslist recently and no luck at all. a Pioneer SX-636 for $50 (No response) the Kenwood KA-9100 (no response) a Marantz 2252B (no reply after the initial first response a week before) a Pioneer SX-850 (no response) but it looks like they will only sell it at $600 with a crap TT, cassette player and a rolling cabinet I don't want... The pioneer speakers they have look decent though. I emailed if they'd just sell the receiver or maybe both the receiver and speakers but doubt I'll get a reply. I emailed about a Pioneer SX-1250 I offered $400 (wants $800) but I was kinda told off just a bit ago in their reply... $800 in his dreams... Eugh.

If the 1250 is restored it is probably worth $800 (have seen them go for over $1000) - I paid $335 for mine unrestored.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #13,311 of 19,142
Still a reasonable price.  Once restored they are irreplaceable - IMHO.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #13,312 of 19,142
$800 is definitely high for an unrestored one, but the price of the SX-1250 has been going up and if someone has a near mint unit it's possible they could get close to $800 for it ... On eBay. For a local sale, very doubtful.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #13,313 of 19,142
After owning a couple of sx1280s, I had a bad itch for a 1250 to compare. It was an itch I just had to scratch. I found one locally for 500.00 that had cosmetic and functional issues. So it only required about 8.00 in parts(recapping protection board, couple diodes and transistors on one of the amp boards). The faceplate had a deep nick though small it was very noticeable because of how deep it was. So I had decided from the very beginning this wasn't going to be a keeper(I've evolved to the point of my vintage gear being mint cosmetically). But I just had to scratch that 1250 itch. I think it's one vintage receiver every vintage lover should try once.

The wood case had quiet a few deep scratches and some chips around the edges. I knew I would be taking a chance of not recouping my money on ebay given the cosmetic issues. But it ended up cleaning up nicely considering. Here's a couple of pics

Although repaired, I definitely wouldn't called this restored. But I was fortunate enough to clear around 625.00 after shipping, ebay and paypal fees. So I guess all of the work I put in it was worth 125.00
biggrin.gif
.  I wish I had the before pics. The top edge of the faceplate really was horrible. I sanded it with a 225 grit 3m sanding block to sand through all of the scratches, afterwards I used 600 grit sand paper to get the finish fine and finished it with applying brasso to some steel wool to give it a mirror finish.

Now on to the sound. This unrestored 1250 flat out beat the restored 1280 I had. The sound was just slightly warmer, but the sound stage was just huge. It has better transparency, better grip on bass, and the mids were just buttery smooth. It aslo took the edge when it came to resolution and micro details. The noise floor is also lower. Where my w3000 hissed and humed loudly(even with the restored one), they hissed only a little with the 1250. In all honestly, this is a non issue. That can be easily fixed by swapping in some higher ohm resistors. But the lower treble etch which the 1280 had(the restored one to a much lesser degree) is completely gone. Now they both still sound very similar and the differences aren't drastic. But they are still there. This can be why the 1250 are starting to fetch near 1280 type money. Maybe all of the threads of 1280 vs 1250 are being more noticed. And in most(if not all) most seem to prefer the 1250, and now I'm one of them.

The 1280 still wins when it comes to looks imo. But I enjoyed the 1250 so much, I could really see myself owning it one day if one cosmetically mint fell in my lap at a great price. But I'm not going to search for one because as great as it is, it still couldn't beat out any of my mcintosh amps or the 500c. It's close to the 6200, albeit not as warm. But the 6200 beats it handily when it comes to musicality, and organic richness while the 1250 just narrowly beat it out when it comes to technicalities.

Oh, and the internal pic shown was before I recapped the protection board. I took those after I did the cosmetic work.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #13,314 of 19,142
Oh, and I wouldn't pay 800.00 locally for an unrestored one. Now if it was absolutely mint, and "one"(had to edit and change that from I lol)  had the skills to do a complete restore which would only require around 100-150.00 in parts(most of that would be for the 4 main filter caps), then maybe. But at least with ebay, you have buyer protection. Locally it's as is.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #13,315 of 19,142
  Oh, and I wouldn't pay 800.00 locally for an unrestored one. Now if it was absolutely mint, and I had the skills to do a complete restore which would only require around 100-150.00 in parts(most of that would be for the 4 main filter caps), then maybe. But at least with ebay, you have buyer protection. Locally it's as is.

Yes, definitely too much to pay $800 for an unrestored one - maybe even in mint condition this is too much.  There is one near me on CL for $800 - been there for several weeks.  Doubt he will get that price for it.

I noticed that removing all the tantalum caps made a huge difference in the sound of mine (harshness is gone).  Plus when replacing standard electrolytics I tried to use audio grade Nichicon wherever possible.  A little more expensive - but the sonic rewards have made it worth it.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #13,316 of 19,142
Yeah, I'm a big nichicon guy. Even over more expensive electrolytics like the premium elnas. Terry Dewick uses them in pretty much every application on every type of solid state amp. The the 1280 I had that he restored was full of nichicons. Many like panasonics in the power supply because of their esr rating, but over time, I've come to prefer nichicons there as well, whether it be np muse, fg, or my favorite, kz series. I even like their non audio  grade high voltage series. Even those sound as good as panisonic fm's. But of course it's just a preference thing.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #13,317 of 19,142

For sale in my local craiglist - for $25. It's just a tuner but I just couldn't help but admire the aesthetics of this piece. This definitely belongs to that other French thread where a guy was posting all these wonderful beautiful looking pieces from the vintage era. Don't have the link just now - but I remember that it's definitely not a thread for the weak of heart.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #13,319 of 19,142
I highly doubt its been restored. I think he looked it up and saw dollor signs and thinks he has a goldmine without taking into the fact that it will need to be recapped and lights replaced and cleaned up. He thinks its worth big bucks and thats all that matters. He can sit on it for a long time then lmao

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/4586824840.html

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #13,320 of 19,142
I'm utterly ignorant about vintage receivers/amps...  and even I know you're dropping a bunch into that just to get it back up to good working order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back