Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jun 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12,618 of 19,145
Thanks Phoenix! The cab isn't mcintosh. The guy who was selling the mr78 decided to sell the cab separate since he had a hard time selling the mr78. He had someone local to build the cab using mcintosh specs and panloc hardware. It's made from solid wood and only cost me 115.00. Whoever made it, did a really nice job.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #12,619 of 19,145
Wow amazing work, Moody! Nice. And Oregonian, awesome 1050! Great stuff fellas!!!!!

Jun 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #12,620 of 19,145
Thanks Sky! There were two integrateds on my short list. This one and a sa9800. So since I came across this one first, the pioneer is off my list. So now my vintage journey is complete(yeah right).:D

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #12,622 of 19,145
And since this thread can always use more rig photos, here's everything for the main rig, including the sony str-6120 without a case. I'm slowly getting more square footage as the wife warms up the hobby. 
beyersmile.png

The fisher is gone for a modernization by argy bargy, and the pioneer will be off soon as well for an update.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #12,623 of 19,145
Nice!! Very cool looking setup. And surprisingly, the sony don't look out of place with the 1980 and Mac tuner. I wish my case was solid walnut. It is solid wood but some other kind of (probably cheap) hardwood. But it does feel very solid.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #12,624 of 19,145
I'm finally getting a really good chance to listen to the sony str-6120 on some better speakers and it's doing quite nicely. The headroom is just limitless. It goes louder than I'm really willing to listen and it sounds good. All the highs are present and balanced. There's no discernible roll-off of the high frequencies, very flat response down to a very visceral 10-ish hertz. It sounds smooth and full without sounding clinical or bloomy. The background is pretty quiet. I found that out by accident when I was first searching for the fm signal and wasn't sure if I had set it up right (no hisssssss). Quite a bit different than the str-6065, which is a slightly cooler sound & a slightly newer model in this line from sony. The sony str-6120 kinda sounds (tonally) like a nice mid power mcintosh setup. It's really that good and the build quality is certainly there. It weighs about 40lbs for 60wpc, and there's a nice comfortable amount of shielding up in there.

This guy was a real bear to find. I found a good review on another site about it about a year ago. It took me 6 months to find one online, and the seller was super sketchy (wanted to be paid right away, as a friend on paypal, etc). It was bought in a broken state. Cosmetically a 9/10, but had no sound at all. With my friend Foxx, we "fixed" the problem with the power supply back to the original specs, but it seems like the power supply was poorly designed and the problem kept re-occurring in new components. The output power supply rectifier was blowing due to high initial current draws. We designed a mod to make the power supply as bullet proof as the rest of the unit and now it works like a charm.
I'm finally getting to it now after all this lead up since I loaned it to my uncle after his sony-6060F broke. He was using some small infinity cmmd's with it and it sounded as good as really nice modern stuff through them.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #12,626 of 19,145
I have a dilemma, maybe someone can  clarify why vintage receivers are made with a lot more power and built heavier?( Technics SA-1000 has one transformer 12kg and the whole thing weighs 40kg!!!)
In stead integrated amps came half the weight and power...

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #12,628 of 19,145
I have a dilemma, maybe someone can  clarify why vintage receivers are made with a lot more power and built heavier?( Technics SA-1000 has one transformer 12kg and the whole thing weighs 40kg!!!)

Some things that come to mind: heatsinks, wood panels, bigger size since there is a tuner built in as well.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #12,629 of 19,145

Many, many full moons ago, when companies were trying to get the biggest share of the market trough demonstrating their technological expertise and build quality, such behemots as SA -1000 were possible.

Problem - such designs were usually sold at loss - meaning they cost manufacturers more than the retail price. Or very close to that - in short, not commercially viable.
Technics has units like SA-1000 - and plastick fantastick next-to-junk that hardly weighs anything. Hopefully, the units somewhere in between are reasonable - both from performance to the consumer and financial gain to the manufacturer views. The losses with flagship TOTL models were being compensated for by quantity of lower priced models sold.

This model came to an end around year 2000 - the last product still bearing Technics badge was 1210 turntable, finally discontinued a few years ago.

In today's hyper competitive market, the likes of SA-1000 are not totally impossible - but are extremely unlikely. There were technological advances over the years - but power amplifiers still require good power supplies and cooling ribs in order to deliver their goods ( if not some, generally still lame sounding D Class ) in a chassis that can support them - and that costs money. Try to ship the SA-1000 to another continent - shipping alone would exceed what most people are prepared to pay for stereo today.

For above reasons, as well as used pricing in general, is vintage ( good vintage ) equipment, despite all the progress and "progress" of today, still very interesting
way of obtaining superiour sound  at reasonable cost.

There are 100 kg + power amps on the market today, with performance to match - at a price most of us can not even start swearing about....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back