Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8,687 of 19,145
Quote:
Please keep us updated - this might turn out to be reasonable method of achieving the desired goal at not too exhorbitant cost.

Will do!

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #8,688 of 19,145
I'm going to give it a shot and get myself the Sansui AU-3900 and report back the results. I'm also getting it mainly for the phono input. Recently I had a stroke of luck selling all 3 of the equipments that I put up for sale (one Aune T1 was sold to the guy I gave for repairs), and I don't have a DAC and phono stage anymore. So in consideration about getting an amp for myself I can only choose a DAC+amp or phono stage+amp. That 'ole 3900 fits the bill and I'll get myself the new UD110 by Stoner Acoustics, revealed in his facebook to be released in a month or so.

Also I'm going to need the array of controls on it especially the Stereo/Mono selection for my turntable calibration. If only that darn replacement Analogue Test Record LP would arrive already.

Since the MS Carnival 1 is not very efficient at 85dB, would this Sansui suffice? Speakers rated at 15-80Watts, the Sansui is like 25 or 22 Watts.

*edit: Forgot to mention that they'll be used as nearfield speakers.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8,689 of 19,145
Quote:
So tell me analogsurviver, what vintage amps and receiver have you listened to, to come up with these conclusions? I've owned both high end modern and vintage gear and have even done side by side comparisons using high end low impedance, high impedance, low and high sensitivity cans. And I stand by my conclusion that even some lower end vintage amps can compete with midrange to lower high end headphone amps. So what direct comparisons have you done?

I did write a comprehensive reply and hit the wrong button - POOF ! 

I will try again tomorrow, promise.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #8,690 of 19,145
Nice... I lived in Lakewood for years, over in Pontiac now, but looking for a place in Narragansett.

I've got a laundry list of stuff that I need to get out of here before I move, some vintage, some not.

I'll PM rather than cloud up the thread with it.

-Mike

Quote:
LOL 
biggrin.gif

I am a born and bred Rhoe DieLanda!

I used to live across from the Walmart on Post Road near the intersection of Warwick Ave before moving to Blackstone MA

What do you got that you want to get rid off?

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #8,691 of 19,145
Quote:
I'm going to give it a shot and get myself the Sansui AU-3900 and report back the results. I'm also getting it mainly for the phono input. Recently I had a stroke of luck selling all 3 of the equipments that I put up for sale (one Aune T1 was sold to the guy I gave for repairs), and I don't have a DAC and phono stage anymore. So in consideration about getting an amp for myself I can only choose a DAC+amp or phono stage+amp. That 'ole 3900 fits the bill and I'll get myself the new UD110 by Stoner Acoustics, revealed in his facebook to be released in a month or so.

Also I'm going to need the array of controls on it especially the Stereo/Mono selection for my turntable calibration. If only that darn replacement Analogue Test Record LP would arrive already.

Since the MS Carnival 1 is not very efficient at 85dB, would this Sansui suffice? Speakers rated at 15-80Watts, the Sansui is like 25 or 22 Watts.

*edit: Forgot to mention that they'll be used as nearfield speakers.

For nearfield, with not too dynamic material, 20 or so watt should suffice. Better more, but should be reasonably ok.

@Everybody that need mono for phono ( or any other ) reasons - you can use a normal RCA cable and connect left and right record out jacks on preamps/amps/receivers that lack mono button.

Tougher is the lack of balance controls - only the most $$$$$ carts will require zero channel balance correction, 1 dB difference is quite common even in fairly expensive carts.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #8,692 of 19,145
I did write a comprehensive reply and hit the wrong button - POOF ! 

I will try again tomorrow, promise.

You don't have to go through the trouble. We can just respectfully disagree on the matter. I have my ears and you have yours. Personal enjoyment is all that matters to me. You continue to enjoy your amps and I will continue to enjoy mine.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #8,693 of 19,145
I would be interested in any recommendations of soldering gear to use on vintage amplifiers... I have a very generic "soldering iron" that is decades old, and I would want to get something a little more sophisticated if I was going to do something like "recap".

Either links to existing web pages, or your own personal experience would be fine, thanks!

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #8,694 of 19,145
Quote:
I would be interested in any recommendations of soldering gear to use on vintage amplifiers... I have a very generic "soldering iron" that is decades old, and I would want to get something a little more sophisticated if I was going to do something like "recap".

Either links to existing web pages, or your own personal experience would be fine, thanks!

I have a Hakko 936 station with a Hakko 907 iron. You can buy different tips for it too. There are many soldering tips in the DIY forum.

Aug 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #8,695 of 19,145
It's been all time since I've visited here.  Since than I acquired a Violectric V200/V800 combo.
But recently I plugged my Grado RS1 and LCD-2 in to my Pioneer SX-737.  And wow, the soundstage and dynamics blew me away.
The V200 is so much more refined and smooth, but the soundstage is so much wider on the pioneer.  When I have my headphones plugged into the V200, I feel like I'm listening to headphones, but when I plug it into the Pioneer, it's like I'm listening to speakers.  So much more alive and dynamic. The impedance may not be right or ideal but my headphones really come to life.

The pioneer is a little brighter than the V200, so I don't do it long or I get fatigued on the pioneer but while it lasts, it's a treat.
I wish I could find a vintage receiver that sounded like the V200.  I had Marantz but to me it was warm but had thin mids.  Could not figure it out.

Anyways, these vintage receivers are something. 

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #8,696 of 19,145
I think it was said earlier but I got to say this is my favorite thread on this forum. :D

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #8,697 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:

I have a Hakko 936 station with a Hakko 907 iron. You can buy different tips for it too. There are many soldering tips in the DIY forum.

I checked the DIY Forum Beginners Guide and that is one of two Soldering Stations that they recommend (the other is a Weller WESD51 or WES51 Station).

One aspect of tips and recommendations in the DIY Forum is that it is generally for making your own kits and such.  So, it occurred to me that there might be different recommendations for working on Vintage gear - for example, there might be different solder types used ?

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #8,698 of 19,145
Quote:
The pioneer is a little brighter than the V200, so I don't do it long or I get fatigued on the pioneer but while it lasts, it's a treat.
I wish I could find a vintage receiver that sounded like the V200.  I had Marantz but to me it was warm but had thin mids.  Could not figure it out.

Anyways, these vintage receivers are something. 

I would suggest you give Luxman or Kenwood a try.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Harman Kardon has warmest sound but not like Marantz bottom-heavy. So it may suit you.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #8,699 of 19,145
Quote:
I checked the DIY Forum Beginners Guide and that is one of two Soldering Stations that they recommend (the other is a Weller WESD51 or WES51 Station).

One aspect of tips and recommendations in the DIY Forum is that it is generally for making your own kits and such.  So, it occurred to me that there might be different recommendations for working on Vintage gear - for example, there might be different solder types used ?

You can post that question there. There are also RoHS compliant solder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back