Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 1, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #692 of 19,142
I'm finding that the +2.5 dB 50 Hz bump that the SX-1250 has is just wonderful for the HE-6.  I definitely prefer listening to them this way over flat.  50Hz is low enough there is zero impact on the mids from this very subtle bass bump.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #693 of 19,142
LololoL!!! Skylab tats EXACTLY what I use for the HE5-LE. Just gives it that xtra rumble kick tats makes everything more enjoyable. The HE5LE handles it so well that it feels perfectly natural.

Tone controls on these things are just wonderful. I even flip on the "loudness" for the custom livewires iem which together with the -20db mute makes them just about perfect :D

ps: @rgs9200m thxs bro, glad u like all 100+ lbs of the tri-deck 'headamp' stations. still looks ridiculous to me but i lub it!

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #694 of 19,142
LOL indeed!  But not surprising, Scottie.  The Hifiman can easily handle the extra bass, as you said, and the Pioneer tone controls are so well thought out and implemented.  I can detect no sonic penalty in using them.

I'm here to tell you, the SX-1250 driving the HE-6 with +2.5 dB at 50Hz is absolutely THRILLING.  I can't get enough.  A lot of other amps around here are feeling pretty lonely, and of course quite a few others were sent packing
eek.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #695 of 19,142
wooooah! am i detecting downsizing plans for our resident amp maestro??? ahahaha! at this rate, u'll be selling out the "headamps" portion of your rig/s maybe 'ceptin the exotica tubies. i wonder though how vintage or near vintage reg home tube amps would sound in headamp mode??

like say a classic vintage ARC integrated or perhaps a pre/amp combo like an SP3/D51 duo? perhaps something like that mite give an even bigger hi-end tube "thrills" both for speakers & headphones. something to ponder on for sure. perhaps someone here whos tried it with headphones mite care to chime in.

hey Rob how u heard your HE6 via the 1250 playing Jennifer Warnes (The Hunter) Way Down Low? absolutely mindboggling bass kick - the cans actually rumbles & shakes that it tickles! niceeeee

O before i forget, REB'man thats one sweet lookin Teac. lov the VU meters if nothing else but for 25euros, its a screamer of a deal! congrats!!

edited:btw Rob i think u using the 1250 exclusively as a headamp sounds & looks as ridiculous & wack'd too im sure as me using 3 of these beast similarly. better not tell too many ppl else they mite call the dudes with the straitjackets for pickup! heh

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #696 of 19,142
Well, given the physical size of my trio of vintage receivers, "downsizing" might be the wrong word
tongue_smile.gif

I did get rid of all my other headphone amps except the high end tube amps and the portables, though.  No need for the low-end tube ones, or any other solid state.  My listening will be either to my tube amps (Leben, Woo, Trafomatic, or Decware) or to the SX-1250, Marantz 2275, or Sansui 9090.  And even at that, that's a lot of sharing of the head time.

And yeah, using this monstrous beast as just a headphone amp is pretty silly...but it sure is good!  I'm going to hook it up to my baby Nautiluses soon though (B&W N805).  As good as the Pioneer is, not sure it will drive the BIG Nautiluses the way the 650 wpc Sunfire does.  But the baby B&W should be KILLER....

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #697 of 19,142

Quote:
TEAC used to be a very big name in Europe, especially for tape decks. Later on they made a very good CD player too, the VRDS 10. Their top products now sell under the name Esoteric.

You are right Kees. Teac tape decks were very good and at par with Nakamichi. The CD players were awesome. Wadia used to use (or still use) their VRDS transport mechanism. I still own a VRDS 10 modified by Steve Huntley from the Great Northern Sound (former Wadia engineer) as my transport in one of my sets. It has the same mechanism of the Wadia 20 and the 560/561.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #698 of 19,142
I thought I might have been the only one using that 2.5db bump with the he-6. It does give that extra punch they've been missing, and yes it doesn't mess with anything else. This amp and my fisher is putting up a serious fight as to which one going to be the primary amp with my he-6. The pioneer has already won that fight with my d7000. But what the fisher does for the mids is addictive. It's too much lushness for the already lush d7000, but just right for the he-6. But the slam I now get with the pioneer is also addictive. Well I guess may the best amp win.

I still can't believe how good this beast sounds; both speaker out and headphone out.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #699 of 19,142
I hooked up the turntable finally to the SX-1250.  Phono stage is terrific.  Very low noise, very clean, very transparent.  Here is one way in which the Pioneer absolutely slays the Fisher KX-100.  The KX-100's phono stage is VERY tubey ans syrupy.  Too much of a good thing.  Right now I have the Pioneer's tape out connected to the Fisher, which I had done so I could play the Pioneer's FM via the Fisher, which is currently driving the B&W N805.  Now I can also play the Phono that way, and it's better sounding that way.

I'm keeping the Fisher no matter what, as I LOVE its sound.  But I sense a fight between it and the SX-1250 over which gets to power the baby beemers soon.

I'm like a giddy little kid with this thing.  It sounds so good with the Denon DP-59L TT it's hard to believe.  Modern era cartridge, of course, and modern era headphones, but vintage turntable and receiver are sounding mighty good!!!!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #700 of 19,142
The pioneer has made selling the fisher cross my mind, but that's all. The fisher does sound too good to part with. It's one of the better sounding tube amps I've had in many ways. It just doesn't mate well with all headphones. But with others, it sound absolutely gorgeous. I still prefer it with my klipsch epics, but they are klipsch and can sound bright. The fisher really balanced them out, and just throws images all over the room. This reason alone is enough not to ever sell it. But the pioneer is really putting up a heck of a fight as to which one going to be the primary amp for the he-6 though. They both sounds amazing with them with each having their own strength.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #701 of 19,142
So I went ahead and connected the N805s to the SX1250. WOW. That's all I can say. They are going to STAY connected to the big Pioneer. They love it, and It loves them. OMG.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #702 of 19,142
ROTFL!! in that case skylab, mite i interest u in the ultimate uber Pioneer Receiver -The SX1980- me thinks this one will drive your big nautilus ya.

270w a side of pure unadulterated pioneer power never made again & prolly never will. only the technics SA1000, the marantz 2600 & the even crazier sansui G33000 can apply for this exclusive club! i can hear it calling u - wouldnt be surprised if u wake up in a cold sweat dreaming of all 78lbs of the 1980 ontop of ya!!! ahahahaha

incase u really are nuts & ready for the off reservation excursion, theres one selling in ontaria canada for $1800. i think u mite be able to sweettalk him into doing it shipping included! ehehehe

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #703 of 19,142
I pretty much expected that. My sx-1010 is probably has one of the best solid state amps I've listened to. I can use the -20db button on my klipsch, and still drive them to ear bleeding levels. Well, they are around 96db efficiency which is another reason the fisher gels so well with them. But I can also get my psb's pretty loud with the -20db button press. That's great Skylab. I'm glad you are finding so many uses for it. It really is one impressive tool kit; an excellent tuner, speaker amp, headphone amp, and phono all rolled up in one. IMO you bought bought all these components separate with the same level of quality, there's no doubt in my mind you would be out of multiple thousands. I'm now a fanboy of the sx line. I have a feeling I still might become fans of other vintage gear that I may eventually get my hands on. I had scored a good deal on a marantz 2252 for 125.00, and had planned on getting it the day after I bought the 1010. But right now, I simply have no desire for anything else.

PS. Don't worry old fisher, I'm still a fan of you too.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #704 of 19,142

Quote:
ROTFL!! in that case skylab, mite i interest u in the ultimate uber Pioneer Receiver -The SX1980- me thinks this one will drive your big nautilus ya.

270w a side of pure unadulterated pioneer power never made again & prolly never will. only the technics SA1000, the marantz 2600 & the even crazier sansui G33000 can apply for this exclusive club! i can hear it calling u - wouldnt be surprised if u wake up in a cold sweat dreaming of all 78lbs of the 1980 ontop of ya!!! ahahahaha

incase u really are nuts & ready for the off reservation excursion, theres one selling in ontaria canada for $1800. i think u mite be able to sweettalk him into doing it shipping included! ehehehe

All I can say is wow!!! This thing should be on The History Channel's monster quest.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #705 of 19,142

Quote:
LOL indeed!  But not surprising, Scottie.  The Hifiman can easily handle the extra bass, as you said, and the Pioneer tone controls are so well thought out and implemented.  I can detect no sonic penalty in using them.

I'm here to tell you, the SX-1250 driving the HE-6 with +2.5 dB at 50Hz is absolutely THRILLING.  I can't get enough.  A lot of other amps around here are feeling pretty lonely, and of course quite a few others were sent packing
eek.gif

Quote:
So I went ahead and connected the N805s to the SX1250. WOW. That's all I can say. They are going to STAY connected to the big Pioneer. They love it, and It loves them. OMG.

I'm pretty sure you don't need that 2275 anymore, hint hint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back