Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #6,766 of 19,145
Indeed my Fisher is very quiet even with high sensitivity headphones but I had it partially recapped and I put in known NOS tubes.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #6,767 of 19,145
Yeah, mine was partially restored as well, and that may have a lot to do with it. But there's no denying how great the design is. With some tube amps, it doesn't matter what you do, it's still going to hum with very sensitive cans because of the way it's designed. To me the only thing that separate it from the creme of the top tube amps are the extension at both ends, and instrument separation(which isn't bad btw). But I would still put it up against most 1000-1500.00 tube headphone amps I've listened to. But it make up for those things in spades, when it comes to producing a highly seductive, and almost addictive tone. 

It's a very colored sound, but not a syrupy colored sound like some of the cheap tube amps I've listened to. It's a very naturally warm sound that doesn't come across as thick sounding. Just very lush and romantic. I call it the w3000 of tube amps. It has great trannies, all point to point, just a very good 50 year old designed tube amp. It makes mewonder how far has tube amp technology has come since then. The vintage marantz, and macs are even better examples. Well fisher too I guess, since the x100-101 series weren't their high end amps anyway.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #6,768 of 19,145
finally getting my rebuilt phono section run in on my 2245.
couple of mods/upgrades to the circuitry.
This thing sounds spectacular with my LCD2.

with a good clean record, its a toss up between my turntable/marantz vs WA6SE / DLIII

they absolutely sound diffferent, but both in a very pleasing engaging way.
the marantz + shure cart + lcd2 lends to a thick sound.

really need to get a phono stage for my woo.

the thing that irritates me is the crap shoot that even new vinyl seems to be. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6,769 of 19,145
Quote:
the thing that irritates me is the crap shoot that even new vinyl seems to be. 

This. I've had to return many brand new, 180 gram "Audiophile-grade" pressings due to quality control issues. I hope they will eventually get it right, now that they realize vinyl is here to stay.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #6,773 of 19,145
My Saturday afternoon ~

I'm watching the Men's NCAA Tourney - March Madness, while packing up for a move. My glorious Pioneer was sitting on the floor (1980 SX-D7000) while I tried to negotiate an end piece of bedroom furniture around it. ALL with one eye on the game. And clipped 
eek.gif
a piece off the wood cabinet on the side.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #6,776 of 19,145
Quote:
My Saturday afternoon ~

I'm watching the Men's NCAA Tourney - March Madness, while packing up for a move. My glorious Pioneer was sitting on the floor (1980 SX-D7000) while I tried to negotiate an end piece of bedroom furniture around it. ALL with one eye on the game. And clipped 
eek.gif

Oh no!

I just ordered parts for my HPM-100 crossovers this week. With my speakers down for a few days, I'm going to open the SX-1250 and the 2265B and have a look at the caps. Check the bias too. I've been spending some time over at AK this past week, and it convinced me to look more into the vintage receivers.  I just love em.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #6,777 of 19,145
Quote:
Quote:
My Saturday afternoon ~

eek.gif

Oh no!

I just ordered parts for my HPM-100 crossovers this week. With my speakers down for a few days, I'm going to open the SX-1250 and the 2265B and have a look at the caps. Check the bias too. I've been spending some time over at AK this past week, and it convinced me to look more into the vintage receivers.  I just love em.

I think when I get settled again this summer, I'm going to both have my SX-D7000 cleaned up; checked thoroughly, and buy another big bad 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 vintage block. Not sure how to check the off-set, bias and such. But it's going in the shop eventually, so...

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #6,778 of 19,145
Quote:

I think when I get settled again this summer, I'm going to both have my SX-D7000 cleaned up; checked thoroughly, and buy another big bad 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 vintage block. Not sure how to check the off-set, bias and such. But it's going in the shop eventually, so...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634  I think Skylab posted this for me a whle back. I saved it as I was plannign to dig into my units.

I just remembered I have a 2230 in the basement needing work too. Busy summer...

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #6,780 of 19,145
Quote:

Quote:
I just remembered I have a 2230 in the basement needing work too. Busy summer...

Surely you don't need more than five or six...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back