Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #4,186 of 19,143

Quote:

for some reason i found this picture humorous.
from AK board

I saw that when it was first posted over there...immediately showed my wife and said "look, there are people way crazier than me".

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4,187 of 19,143

Quote:

I saw that when it was first posted over there...immediately showed my wife and said "look, there are people way crazier than me".

And I bet her answer is "What is your point???"  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4,188 of 19,143

Quote:

My wife would say, "You're either crazy or you're not, I don't care where the line is drawn."

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4,189 of 19,143
i seriously LOL'd when i saw the picture.
then i read skylabs comment,
"wow, just wow."
and i pretty much lost it.

you guys think the HP jack on a SX 950 will drive the HE5-LE?

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4,190 of 19,143

Quote:
My wife would say, "You're either crazy or you're not, I don't care where the line is drawn."

You wife is definitely a keeper.  My wife will simply said, either those or me.  At that time, I'm not sure what I will say. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4,192 of 19,143
its in the pioneer board on the show us your pioneer or something like that.
it was a sticky i think.

got my pioneer pl 55x TT working today.
im excited.
all it took was an 12$ stylus.
the Shure Hi Track cart still works even though its 30+ years old.

stuggled with the 60 cycle for a half an hour till i read the manual for the TT.

now the issue is,
i must put all of this equipment purchasing on hold
and find a storage solution.

can't run it off my "best" rig because theres no room

can't run it in the living room the way i want because i've got no way to get it to my yamaha integrated and still have the integrated hooked up to the PC and TV.

=(

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #4,193 of 19,143

Quote:
i seriously LOL'd when i saw the picture.
then i read skylabs comment,
"wow, just wow."
and i pretty much lost it.

you guys think the HP jack on a SX 950 will drive the HE5-LE?

Not really well, in my speculation/experience.  I have a Marantz 2275 and with the HE-5 in play, the vol pot has to go way beyond where it goes with other cans.  So I would surmise a SX-950 might have a bit of a struggle showing what the headphone can really do.  However, with the SX-1250, the HE-5 gets right up there to a righteous toe-tapping, finger-snapping zone.

Just me guessing it would be a bit iffy...

Feb 23, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4,194 of 19,143
I'd disagree. I have the 5LE and a 950. The 950 has plenty of go right from the HPO to make the 5LE sing with plenty of headroom to spare. The 6 is another story...

Not really well, in my speculation/experience.  I have a Marantz 2275 and with the HE-5 in play, the vol pot has to go way beyond where it goes with other cans.  So I would surmise a SX-950 might have a bit of a struggle showing what the headphone can really do.  However, with the SX-1250, the HE-5 gets right up there to a righteous toe-tapping, finger-snapping zone.

Just me guessing it would be a bit iffy...

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #4,195 of 19,143
So, got my McIntosh MA6100 rolling with my Little Dot DAC-1 & D7000s (and D2000s, Q701s, Rastas, etc.). Talk about velvet smooth with all the soundstage and detail, this is almost high end tube territory here. This monster is an amazing HF amp, and does a killer job driving my Swan Diva 2.1s that I use as PC speakers. I can't believe I waited this long to get it out of mothballs.

Sexy, sexy...

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #4,196 of 19,143
So, got my McIntosh MA6100 rolling with my Little Dot DAC-1 & D7000s (and D2000s, Q701s, Rastas, etc.). Talk about velvet smooth with all the soundstage and detail, this is almost high end tube territory here. This monster is an amazing HF amp, and does a killer job driving my Swan Diva 2.1s that I use as PC speakers. I can't believe I waited this long to get it out of mothballs.

Sexy, sexy...

Could you actually replace a dedicated headphone amp with an integrated amplifier like this and get better sound? I vowed a while back to stop messing around with vintage gear, but the vintage sound is calling me back, that, and I need a phono pre-amp. I have no intention of using speakers right now, but I do hope to add in a cassette player and finish off my turntable rig soon, would be great if I could use an old amp as an all in one and sell off the Burson. Technicalities aside, listening through the broken sherwood I have has just made the Burson take on a 'fake' sound to me.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #4,197 of 19,143

Quote:
Could you actually replace a dedicated headphone amp with an integrated amplifier like this and get better sound? I vowed a while back to stop messing around with vintage gear, but the vintage sound is calling me back, that, and I need a phono pre-amp. I have no intention of using speakers right now, but I do hope to add in a cassette player and finish off my turntable rig soon, would be great if I could use an old amp as an all in one and sell off the Burson. Technicalities aside, listening through the broken sherwood I have has just made the Burson take on a 'fake' sound to me.

Yes

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #4,198 of 19,143
I don't own any really difficult to drive cans, but I can't imagine there are many headphones out there that need more than this tank can put out.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #4,199 of 19,143

for some reason i found this picture humorous.
from AK board

he should do him self good and sell everything off except the yamaha power amp on the bottom and invest in a nice preamp and better speakers. the double woofers look like technics to me. he should try replacing them with some nice working Technics SB-7000A. he would thank me.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #4,200 of 19,143
I almost never use a "dedicated headphone amp" anymore. Almost all my headphone listening is done via a vintage receiver, and if you factor in that the Leben CS-300 is an integrated amp, then I really don't use a dedicated headphone amp at all except on very rare occasions. Among other things, I prefer the flexibility that my vintage gear offers me - lots of source switching, tone controls, balance, mono switch, etc etc. And the sound is at LEAST as good :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back