Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #2,836 of 19,143
One further question: is it generally as simple as getting an RCA connector to feed an integrated from my clip+? I know you folks probably consider this a blasphemy but I'm on a budget and yet need a lot of power for my phones.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #2,838 of 19,143

Quote:
One further question: is it generally as simple as getting an RCA connector to feed an integrated from my clip+? I know you folks probably consider this a blasphemy but I'm on a budget and yet need a lot of power for my phones.

Yes, at least yes for an iPod.  Should be the same cable for a sansa clip.  1/8" stereo mini plug to male RCA cable.   The RCA end can be plugged into any analog input on the receiver/integrated amp (i.e., tape, CD, Auxiliary).

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317502532&sr=8-3

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #2,839 of 19,143
I'm not sure about the Fostex, but in the case of the planar orthos, the low-ish impedance is of no consequence at all, because the only issue there is damping factor, which does not apply to planars.
But some people debate the whole idea that damping factor matters even in dynamic drivers. I agree with Scott - you should not worry about it - a good powerful vintage receiver should have no problem driving your Fostex well.

When you say 'powerful' would a 20 watt Rotel do the job? I understand that that isn't much power but perhaps it's enough for the Fostex orthos. I'm on my horizon of what I can afford I'm seeing 20 to 30 watts so far. I'm somewhat concerned about not using too much power simply to keep electricity costs reasonable. For example the Pioneer A400 came up for a good price, but I beleive it's fairly electricity hungry. In any case I've also seen a report that someone found it's headphone capability to be pretty dreadful.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,840 of 19,143
Oct 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,842 of 19,143
Rotel made some good stuff.  What make, model and year of production you looking at?

I'm being fairly general since I don't know enough, which is why I mentioned only wattage as that is my present concern. I'm checking out models as they come up on auction sites but I haven't fixed on any particular one. I would rather not need to have it serviced so perhaps late 90's.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #2,843 of 19,143
A late 90s integrated or receiver is, broadly speaking, more likely to have a dedicated opamp circuit for the headphone jack.

Whether this is true of specific models you're considering would have to require investigation.

Older receivers powered headphones through the speakers' amp circuit simply because opamps hadn't been invented yet (for the purposes of mass-produced hi-fi components, anyway) and dedicated headphone amplifier circuits would be too expensive and consume too much space in the cabinet.

For the most part, almost any vintage integrated or receiver should have enough power for your Fostex phones. If you aren't fixated on a Rotel specifically, the NAD 3020 (20 wpc integrated) and NAD 7020 (20 wpc receiver) are classics and still easy to find relatively cheaply, even on the big auction sites.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2,844 of 19,143
I personally would want more than 20 watts, because that's 20 watts into 8 ohms, you won't get that into 50 ohms, and if the Rotel has a dropping resistor, could be even less. I'm not sure what the sensitivity of the Fostex are though.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,846 of 19,143
Yeah, that shouldn't require much power at all then. But it will still need something good sounding :D

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2,848 of 19,143
Remember the primo SX-1250 on ebay that was mentioned earlier?
Just sold for $1845 including shipping. Yow!
eek.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160656815363&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,849 of 19,143
Yeah that is no surprise. I guarantee the person who bought it will be very fired up. A beautiful specimen of that fine receiver with a full recap and restore - easily worth that IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back