Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 24, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,761 of 19,143
Quote:
How much does he normally charge? I guess the price is around $400? You can sell your original for around $150 on line if you want.

I met a local guy who is refurnishing the cases for audio stuff. He told me that he doesn't make case since it will take a lot of effort to make the 45 degree wood joint ( the edge ) of case. He normally just bring bad shape cases in and repair and re-apply the vinyl. So I think you can find a local guy re-furnishing case for you.

This particular guy asks $200-300 for the Fisher cases, ive found a few people locally that make them for $150ish.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2,762 of 19,143
Actually my Marantz case is a reproduction too, quite nice really, just not as nice as the McIntosh Cabinets ones. Much cheaper too - was $140.

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #2,763 of 19,143
Who here has a 2226B? What do you think about it?

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,764 of 19,143
Anyone have any thoughts on how a black case could look? like ebony stained oak? I'm beginning to think a Black/aluminum color scheme would look modern yet classy, especially with the blue dials.

Also, I have crackle and pop in my system, but I think it's from more than one source. Some of it, I think, is from the speaker relay in my Marantz 2245b. I still get crackle when adjusting the volume of the headphone out of the Dennon CD player too though. What's weird is it only ever effects the left channel. It's a bit annoying, and I realize I'm going to have to do some major parts replacements to eliminate it. First up, re-clean ALL of the pots, replace the speaker relay, and slowly start working on a recap.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2,768 of 19,143

Quote:
Your Dad had quality items, you should take him out for dinner!

He's always told me to never buy cheap crap....lol

I brought him a couple 6'ers of some IPAs from Binnys, better than any meal lol.

He wouldn't give me his JBL L100s, and for whatever reason, either cause I didnt push hard enough or he still wants them for something, I couldnt snag his record collection either.

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #2,769 of 19,143
Indeed, both units were TOTL if not close of the "consumer" line up.  I have the SA-9500ii and I used to have the PS-X7 (Sold it as I have way to many turntables).  Both are very nice units.  The PS-X7 is quite the table.  Gel feet, anti-resonance plinth, carbon fiber tonearm, quartz lock, and oil filled mat (which is probably gone by now and started to pool).  I've tried to flatten the mat out but it'd probably take a while, best bet is to get a new mat, or another sony mat as they have made some great mats and to keep the theme.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #2,770 of 19,143
OK, so I went downstairs and pulled my Yamaha CR-2020 out of storage.

Connected it to my Oppo BDP-95 (RCA), kept the XLR's connected to my Woo WA22.

Plugged the headphones into the Yamaha, and there it was in all it's glory. Totally awesome sound.

WA22 may be getting retired soon...

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,772 of 19,143

Quote:
How much does he normally charge? I guess the price is around $400? You can sell your original for around $150 on line if you want.

I met a local guy who is refurnishing the cases for audio stuff. He told me that he doesn't make case since it will take a lot of effort to make the 45 degree wood joint ( the edge ) of case. He normally just bring bad shape cases in and repair and re-apply the vinyl. So I think you can find a local guy re-furnishing case for you.

Quote:
This particular guy asks $200-300 for the Fisher cases, ive found a few people locally that make them for $150ish.

Or do what I did. I got an old beat up severely scratched up case on ebay(they do come up in bad condition from time to time) for around 25.00 if I remember correctly. There's no need to wrap these in vinyl because the original cases are solid wood. I put in a little elbow grease, sanded them, stained them, and finished them off in several layers of polyurethane. It doesn't look as good as Skylab's, but I only invested a total of 35.00.  Here's some pics of it when I first finished it.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,773 of 19,143

Quote:
OK, so I went downstairs and pulled my Yamaha CR-2020 out of storage.

Connected it to my Oppo BDP-95 (RCA), kept the XLR's connected to my Woo WA22.

Plugged the headphones into the Yamaha, and there it was in all it's glory. Totally awesome sound.

WA22 may be getting retired soon...

I wouldn't be surprised you retire WA22. Yammy just sounds awesome. I am looking for CR-3020, but couldn't find it local for almost years. Two Cr-3020 just went off ePay, one ended with $1525, another non-working one ended with $750. To me, CR-3020 is more attractive than SX-1980.

@noodyrn
Your DIY case looks stunning too. I do think if I keep collecting vintage stuff, I will eventually know the skill of technician and carpenter. Cheers for glory of vintage hi-fi!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2,774 of 19,143

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised you retire WA22. Yammy just sounds awesome. I am looking for CR-3020, but couldn't find it local for almost years. Two Cr-3020 just went off ePay, one ended with $1525, another non-working one ended with $750. To me, CR-3020 is more attractive than SX-1980.

@noodyrn
Your DIY case looks stunning too. I do think if I keep collecting vintage stuff, I will eventually know the skill of technician and carpenter. Cheers for glory of vintage hi-fi!!
beerchug.gif

Paired with the Oppo BDP-95, it's amazing. Nothing is lost at all, the sonic signature of the ESS9018 is very recognizable. It doesn't sound like the CR-2020 is adding much - pretty neutral. The dynamic range is very nice too.  I just hope the SS sound doesn't start to get fatiguing. If I kept the volume down far enough, the sound becomes noticeably mellower (anything higher then 1 on the volume control is too loud). My HD800 sounds a lot different too (actually using the stock cable) - not bright at all, and the bass is more defined. Could also be because of the tone controls, and how I have them set. I'd have to say for sure, the biggest improvement is in the lower frequencies.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,775 of 19,143

Quote:

Paired with the Oppo BDP-95, it's amazing. Nothing is lost at all, the sonic signature of the ESS9018 is very recognizable. It doesn't sound like the CR-2020 is adding much - pretty neutral. The dynamic range is very nice too.  I just hope the SS sound doesn't start to get fatiguing. If I kept the volume down far enough, the sound becomes noticeably mellower (anything higher then 1 on the volume control is too loud). My HD800 sounds a lot different too (actually using the stock cable) - not bright at all, and the bass is more defined. Could also be because of the tone controls, and how I have them set. I'd have to say for sure, the biggest improvement is in the lower frequencies.

That's why Yammy labels their product "natural sound". The SS stuff definitely has more power than tube, so bass should be more defined. I do think you won't feel fatigue pairing warm Sennheiser with cr-2020 ( I have HD-580 and HD-650). But I do feel fatigue pairing with more revealing phones like AKG q-701, even K-240 sextett after long listening.

BTW, don't forget Cr-2020 has wonderful phono section!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back