Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,401 of 19,145

Quote:
Good suggestion. Make sure your selector switch contacts and phono-input RCA jacks are clean, and make sure you've connected the ground wire from your turntable. If you've done all that, tell the folks at AK what's up and see if anyone's got an idea.

Yes, I definitely frequent AK as well but it seems their site is down for today. I'll get a big can of Deoxit and make sure to doubly clean all of the jacks and switches. Last time I had her open, everything seemed fine. No obviously sign of leaky or shorted caps. I did have the turntable hooked up to the grounding post but it didn't reduce the hum at all. It's quite strange. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2,402 of 19,145
None of the other inputs hum?

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,403 of 19,145
Hi there guys! i recently bought a Yamaha R-500 receiver for 30$ what do you guys think about that receiver and price? it did looked clean but i havent plugged it in yet though... its also missing an antenna, i belive its the blacke square thingy at the back, not sure how to get those :p

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,404 of 19,145

Quote:
Hi there guys! i recently bought a Yamaha R-500 receiver for 30$ what do you guys think about that receiver and price? it did looked clean but i havent plugged it in yet though... its also missing an antenna, i belive its the blacke square thingy at the back, not sure how to get those :p

Not bad. Made in the early 1980's and 180 watts. Did you get it from an audio reseller or a homeowner? They go for $30 fair market value, i hope everything works out to be fine.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2,405 of 19,145
My coworker came to me at yesterday and said that he inherited a "cheap, old receiver" from his parents, and he wanted advice on some nice but cheap speakers to go with it. When I asked him what kind of receiver was it, his reply was: 

"Never heard of the brand -- it's a Sansui 9090DB???" 

Oh, my lordy. I was so tempted to tell him that it was crap and that I'd take it off his hands for $50 for spare parts. 

Anyway, anyone know of the best place to get some affordable speakers for this thing? Is craigslist/SA/GW the best source? I don't think he's trying to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2,406 of 19,145

Quote:
My coworker came to me at yesterday and said that he inherited a "cheap, old receiver" from his parents, and he wanted advice on some nice but cheap speakers to go with it. When I asked him what kind of receiver was it, his reply was: 

"Never heard of the brand -- it's a Sansui 9090DB???" 

Oh, my lordy. I was so tempted to tell him that it was crap and that I'd take it off his hands for $50 for spare parts. 

Anyway, anyone know of the best place to get some affordable speakers for this thing? Is craigslist/SA/GW the best source? I don't think he's trying to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. 

Nice, hopefully he'll sell it too you. Id maybe pair it with some Sansui speakers, JBL's, Pioneer, or Klipsch's.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2,407 of 19,145

Quote:
So... I made kind of an impulse decision and bid on a Pioneer SX-1050. To my surprise, I won! $400 plus shipping isn't exactly a bargain, but I don't think it's a big overpayment either: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170682283523&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

Nice to be joining the vintage Pioneer club, and we'll see how the Pioneer compares to my beloved Marantz 2238B.

I am jealous. I love the Pioneer and that one is a great one like all the SX series. Hopefully its as advertised but there is a company in NY that rebuilds for 375.00 complete plus shipping. Great amp and enjoy it. I am keeping my eyes peeled for either a 850-1250 on craigs list nothing coming up for months. The 850 series starts the real wood cabinets.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2,409 of 19,145

Quote:
None of the other inputs hum?

None of the other inputs hum. I'm currently using a V-LPS into the AUX as a work around for the phono stage. I'll definitely take it apart and give the jacks a good cleaning. 

I grabbed some mascara brushes at Sephora with my girlfriend. These things are perfect for cleaning inside the RCA jacks! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,410 of 19,145
I just found a guy out in Pleasanton/Dublin, but I have no experience with him... PM me and I can give you his details if you're interested.  I was going to stop in and see what he's got in his shop etc... to try and get a feel for what he can do but ran out of time this past weekend.

As for the Hum... I had a (very) similar issue with my 650.  I did a pretty major deoxit bath on the internals and connections and found that one of the RCA plugs from the TT was pretty worn.  It was giving me a pretty bad connection.  Cleaned, tightened, and things are sounding pretty good again... 

That said, instead of putting money into the 650, I decided to upgrade.  I picked up my re-capped SX-950 from the post office today!  Talk about a huge box to lug around.  It reminds me why I like CL better than e-bay, local pick up!

I can't wait to get home and fire this big boy up!

Quote:
Does anyone know of a place in the Bay Area, CA that restores vintage receivers? I just tried out the phono stage on my SX-850 and it hums really badly and the channels also cut out  from time to time. Wanted to recap this myself but I've never done it before and I don't want to mess it up. I really like the 850 and want to keep it alive!

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2,411 of 19,145

Quote:
I am jealous. I love the Pioneer and that one is a great one like all the SX series. Hopefully its as advertised but there is a company in NY that rebuilds for 375.00 complete plus shipping. Great amp and enjoy it. I am keeping my eyes peeled for either a 850-1250 on craigs list nothing coming up for months. The 850 series starts the real wood cabinets.

Yeah, I've seen a couple folks that advertise SX-series rebuilds on ebay. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does I still wouldn't mind paying to have a fully rebuilt 1050 around the house.

Plus, I'd like to think that my own DIY skills will be good enough in a few years to do most of the work myself -- though I'm not particularly interested in using one of these monster receivers as a guinea pig!

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2,412 of 19,145
Pioneer HPM-100's sound great with the 9090DB, and make a full vintage rig :D

They are typically $300 ish a pair though. Well, well worth it, but some might not consider them "cheap". They are really very nice, full range speakers.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2,413 of 19,145

Quote:
Nice, hopefully he'll sell it too you. Id maybe pair it with some Sansui speakers, JBL's, Pioneer, or Klipsch's.

Yeah, no. I couldn't live with myself if I swindled him, so I let him know what a nice little treasure he had on his hands. He's going to keep it and look for some nice speakers.

Quote:
Pioneer HPM-100's sound great with the 9090DB, and make a full vintage rig
biggrin.gif

They are typically $300 ish a pair though. Well, well worth it, but some might not consider them "cheap". They are really very nice, full range speakers.

Sweet! I saw there was a couple of pairs of them on sale here, so I forwarded him the ads. Hopefully he pulls the trigger so I can go over to his place to check it out. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,414 of 19,145
Hmm.. AK is still down. But yeah, if the Aural's turntable doesn't hum with any other amp, I'm beginning to suspect mechanical wear on/in the RCA jacks... ..if that isn't it, and the jack panel is soldered directly into a PCB, could be a cold or overflexed solder joint.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,415 of 19,145

Quote:
Hmm.. AK is still down. But yeah, if the Aural's turntable doesn't hum with any other amp, I'm beginning to suspect mechanical wear on/in the RCA jacks... ..if that isn't it, and the jack panel is soldered directly into a PCB, could be a cold or overflexed solder joint.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm suspecting the RCA jacks at this point too since the hum is really bad on the phono inputs and fine on the aux and tape in/out. I'm going to order some more Deoxit and blast her clean. I'll also check for any leaky caps and cold solder joints while I'm in there. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back