Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #18,722 of 19,142
Well my amp only has one set of speaker terminals. There is no speaker A and B. What does a speaker table cable look like? A google search doesn't give me any results.

That's how it looks like.

L1010046_grande.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #18,723 of 19,142
I used this DIY adapter to listen to my HD600 on my HK330A receiver. They sounded horrible via the HP jack.
speaker_to_headphone_attenuator_trs_2.png

Jul 8, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #18,724 of 19,142
And frankly - the HD600 are not that impressive to me, although driving them with vintage gear helps.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #18,726 of 19,142
Pioneer SA-7500 I'm restoring. Was my first real amp I got handed to me from my mom back when I was 18, so has some sentimental value to keep around. Trying to restore the wooden case so currently staining that but the veneer top is being an ass and I may end up scrapping it and keeping it just the black metal stock case, which at least is 95% mint outside of a small rust spot near the back, and matches all the other black/chrome gear. Need to fix the pots, a bit noisy.

It sounds amazing fwiw. I'm remembering now why I shelved my Schiit Valhalla and kept using this for headphones for several years. It's not articulate, but its got character and is really fun.

PXL_20210714_212610432.jpg

EDIT: It's actually kind of crazy - the resolution on this thing. Now, the Bluetooth DAC can only handle lossy AptX (and sometimes I find macos switches to SBC, shittier) and yet I'm finding I'm hearing depth and layers on songs with greater detail than my tubed up Valhalla w/ an actual DAC handling lossless files. I can't say it's totally better, but in some areas it excels and am really interested to see how it sounds with a proper EQ and source (the 2 band tone control doesnt cut it for me but it helps). I still think the Valhalla is 'better' because I've EQ'd the crap out of it to my liking, but stock vs stock the Pioneer is hands down better with my HD800s. The resolution (ie, I'm hearing layers of vocals on a metal track I forgot existed, the background stuff takes forever to decay and has absolute clarity - word for word, I can hear these background lines on a chorus that otherwise I thought were murmurs), but that depth comes with a price of being a bit top heavy, and it sounds like it has a veil over everything, guitars just dont have the growl I prefer, even if they sound deadlier.

I now remember why I loved this amp all those years back lol

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #18,728 of 19,142
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #18,729 of 19,142
I know you're talking about the Voltron in the corner

No, actually quite a vintage Pioneer fan - I have a restored SX-1250.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #18,730 of 19,142
Ugh I feel like I'm going full Zeos here

power toggle (sound on) mmmmmmm

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #18,731 of 19,142
Pioneer SA-7500 I'm restoring. Was my first real amp I got handed to me from my mom back when I was 18, so has some sentimental value to keep around. Trying to restore the wooden case so currently staining that but the veneer top is being an ass and I may end up scrapping it and keeping it just the black metal stock case, which at least is 95% mint outside of a small rust spot near the back, and matches all the other black/chrome gear. Need to fix the pots, a bit noisy.

It sounds amazing fwiw. I'm remembering now why I shelved my Schiit Valhalla and kept using this for headphones for several years. It's not articulate, but its got character and is really fun.

PXL_20210714_212610432.jpg

EDIT: It's actually kind of crazy - the resolution on this thing. Now, the Bluetooth DAC can only handle lossy AptX (and sometimes I find macos switches to SBC, shittier) and yet I'm finding I'm hearing depth and layers on songs with greater detail than my tubed up Valhalla w/ an actual DAC handling lossless files. I can't say it's totally better, but in some areas it excels and am really interested to see how it sounds with a proper EQ and source (the 2 band tone control doesnt cut it for me but it helps). I still think the Valhalla is 'better' because I've EQ'd the crap out of it to my liking, but stock vs stock the Pioneer is hands down better with my HD800s. The resolution (ie, I'm hearing layers of vocals on a metal track I forgot existed, the background stuff takes forever to decay and has absolute clarity - word for word, I can hear these background lines on a chorus that otherwise I thought were murmurs), but that depth comes with a price of being a bit top heavy, and it sounds like it has a veil over everything, guitars just dont have the growl I prefer, even if they sound deadlier.

I now remember why I loved this amp all those years back lol
Love the Pioneer! I have the SA-7500II version....................great little amps!

In case you are interested, there's a guy on Audiokarma named "sawdust" who makes cases for many Pioneer amps. I got one from him for my SA-8800 and it is incredible.
Vintage rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #18,732 of 19,142
No, actually quite a vintage Pioneer fan - I have a restored SX-1250.

Ditto..................have a SA-608, SA-7500II, SA-9500II, SA-8800, SA-9900 and two Spec systems (both fed by Spec 1 preamps - one Spec 2 and and one Spec 4 amp).

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #18,733 of 19,142
Love the Pioneer! I have the SA-7500II version....................great little amps!

In case you are interested, there's a guy on Audiokarma named "sawdust" who makes cases for many Pioneer amps. I got one from him for my SA-8800 and it is incredible.
Vintage rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow looks like good stuff!

this is more of a restore so if i cant make the stain job look good i'll stick metal, though now I'm getting wild ideas in my head of cooking up something with like burl walnut or flame maple and just pushing the envelope....no......i need to stop with the audio gear.....

Ditto..................have a SA-608, SA-7500II, SA-9500II, SA-8800, SA-9900 and two Spec systems (both fed by Spec 1 preamps - one Spec 2 and and one Spec 4 amp).

I'm already getting a favorites list together in the classifieds of some pioneer and marantz stuff, i need more green and blue tuner backlights in my life

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #18,734 of 19,142
cleaning pots on this thing and its made a huge difference

question, i notice a hum on the left channel, but its not bound to the channel - if i balance and put it all on right, my left ear is still subject to hum, regardless of source. It picks up at around 3 on the volume knob and after 8 it dies out. Engaging tone control seems to make it louder. This is all very minor, still quieter than my tube amp, but just curious since it's inconsistent.

Also, if an input has nothing plugged in (like aux), theres a ton of noise. Is this normal for open inputs?

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #18,735 of 19,142
cleaning pots on this thing and its made a huge difference

question, i notice a hum on the left channel, but its not bound to the channel - if i balance and put it all on right, my left ear is still subject to hum, regardless of source. It picks up at around 3 on the volume knob and after 8 it dies out. Engaging tone control seems to make it louder. This is all very minor, still quieter than my tube amp, but just curious since it's inconsistent.

Also, if an input has nothing plugged in (like aux), theres a ton of noise. Is this normal for open inputs?
Generally hum is due to a ground loop or on older equipment a bad capacitor some where in the unit. More than likely a recap will fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back