Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #17,866 of 19,143
With my sansui au 7700 I use most of the time not only the (loudness) muting button(15 or 30 db choices) with the headphone for a better volume control but the very useful high and low boost button for speakers listening in nearfield listening.... I will not speak of the fine tone controls for a fine adjustment of our many headphones and speakers. Only that possibilities among many others show us the high value of some vintage gear... I will never look back to some modern amplifier for headphone or speakers... Whose modern amp will do these many functions with the same astounding quality at a relatively low cost? A name please and a price?:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #17,869 of 19,143
Got my Marantz 2285B back from servicing - tuner alignment, bias adjustment, LED lights installed...............cleaned, etc. Sounds amazing..............love that it has bass, treble AND midrange tone adjustment controls. A beautiful unit I got from a co-worker who was moving cross country and wanted someone to take it off his hands.

Marantz 2019.jpg

Jan 1, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #17,871 of 19,143
Beautiful!!

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #17,872 of 19,143
Got my Marantz 2285B back from servicing - tuner alignment, bias adjustment, LED lights installed...............cleaned, etc. Sounds amazing..............love that it has bass, treble AND midrange tone adjustment controls. A beautiful unit I got from a co-worker who was moving cross country and wanted someone to take it off his hands.

One word : BEAUTY ! Congratulations Oregonian, I'm also a big fan of sound adjustment controls. The main reason being, all recordings are different & some are somewhat poorly produced. Sound adjustment controls make the music more enjoyable under those circumstances. For me anyways.

Nice way to start the New Year. :thumbsup:

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #17,873 of 19,143

I add my congratulations and I wish you Oregonian the best year of your life...

For the Marantz I remember these verse: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever"

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #17,874 of 19,143

I'm a sucker for a blue meter! Looks great!

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #17,875 of 19,143
Hi Guys, I think I’m going to sell my Fischer T-440, it’s just a bit too big for my bedroom nook. It works great, the previous owner had LEDs installed, sounds wonderful via the headphone jack or speaker taps.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #17,876 of 19,143
Hi Guys, I think I’m going to sell my Fischer T-440, it’s just a bit too big for my bedroom nook. It works great, the previous owner had LEDs installed, sounds wonderful via the headphone jack or speaker taps.

That old Fisher gear is good stuff and hard to come by. Might want to hold on to it?

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #17,877 of 19,143
I think it is because most vintage HP outs have 200 or 300 ohm dropping resistors in the circuit thus allowing us to approach maximum power transfer with higher impedance HPs (i.e. rout == rload). On the other hand a lower impedance HP probably won't sound as good on vintage gear. I have found that to be the case with my systems.

Of course it is not just the dropping resistor that impacts this as the output resistance of the amplifier itself must be included also. Ideally what you want is the amplifier resistance + dropping resistance to roughly equal the HP impedance. A case where this shows up is on my HK330A vs. the Fisher 400. Both receivers have 330 ohm dropping resistors. My 300 ohm HD600s sound like crap on the HK (lifeless) and off the charts good on the Fisher.

I've tried my Grado 80i, RS1i, Hifiman HEXv1 and the HD800 and I didn't think the headphone stage was viable for any of them (I didn't expect it to). I'm guessing they're not supposed to?

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #17,879 of 19,143
I've tried my Grado 80i, RS1i, Hifiman HEXv1 and the HD800 and I didn't think the headphone stage was viable for any of them (I didn't expect it to). I'm guessing they're not supposed to?

What HP stage did you try them on?

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #17,880 of 19,143
20190115_171444.jpg

Not quite vintage but this amp from Audiolab, the 8000 LX sounds fantastic with my Sennheiser HD600. Even though I also use the Bottlehead Crack, I still prefer this amp with the Sennheisers. The amp drives them with authority and makes them sound clean and detailed.

I am building a vintage system for the lounge primarily for headphone use and have just snagged a Trio Kenwood KA-5700 amp. Hope it sounds as good as the Audiolab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back