Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 25, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #17,671 of 19,136
Did you get a tap cable made,or are you using the HE adaptor? I suggest the tap method,but be damn careful. Dont turn it up loud for speakers and then forget and plug in your headphones!

The most power I gave my HE6s was 125wpc and I had very little wiggle room,like maybe 8:30 on the volume.

The package I got has wire taps coming with them. I don't have speakers at least for now.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #17,672 of 19,136
^ While the Technics is at the top of the list, that is longer than most would expect. See:

https://classicreceivers.com/the-most-powerful-vintage-receivers-of-all-time

Prices of course will vary.

Yep,seen that list many times. If you go to eBay,or AK,anytime a BIG monster comes up theyre usually several grand. Its rare to find a true vintage receiver over 100wpc for less than grand,unless its a beater or sold for parts.
I no longer have an HE6,so Ive no need for such a beast of a receiver. I am tracking a specific 90wpc receiver from McIntosh. Have yet to find it for less than a grand,and prolly never will. I have too many receivers already,and other things in this hobby that need my cash more at this time.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #17,673 of 19,136
Yep,seen that list many times. If you go to eBay,or AK,anytime a BIG monster comes up theyre usually several grand. Its rare to find a true vintage receiver over 100wpc for less than grand,unless its a beater or sold for parts.
I no longer have an HE6,so Ive no need for such a beast of a receiver. I am tracking a specific 90wpc receiver from McIntosh. Have yet to find it for less than a grand,and prolly never will. I have too many receivers already,and other things in this hobby that need my cash more at this time.

McIntosh is another animal entirely. But for main line TOTL or near TOTL name brand receivers your prices will vary depending on where you shop; how long you look; and a bit of luck. This fall I bought a fully refurbished Sony STR V-7 from one of the top vintage audio shops in Austin for about 3 bills under $1,000. Granted it "only" has 150 watts per channel. These monster receivers are great, but you have to have a place to put them. You will be very hard pressed to find one that will fit in a standard--even standard vintage-- audio rack. When I have, I had to take glass doors off to get the receiver to fit and even then the rack would not support the weight on any center shelf--where I want my receiver.

If you go to the mid 80's, you can still get quality with power to spare. The TOTL black face Yamaha R-9, which can be picked up for maybe a third of what I paid for the Sony, is still of excellent quality and pumps out a very healthy 125 watts per channel. It is also the second generation of Yamahas with a remote.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #17,674 of 19,136
Built a rack for my SX-1250 due to the space issue mentioned here. That Pioneer beast sounds magnificent. One of things I was careful to do when I recapped it was where ever possible, I replaced electrolytic caps with film (if it would fit). If not a good fit, I used audio grade Nichicon. That effort has paid off in some of the most transparent, detailed sound I have heard. Pin point imaging also, many times on the outside edges of the speakers. All my other amps have been sold off in favor of the Pioneer.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #17,675 of 19,136
a specific 90wpc receiver from McIntosh. Have yet to find it for less than a grand said:
Well then Monsterzero, I don't suppose you'll be buying one of these. It's advertised like this on the McIntosh site (love the first line which I put in Bold) :

LB100
Light Box
  • A must for every McIntosh owner
  • Can be seamlessly turned on and off with other McIntosh components via Power Control
MSRP: $1,500

LB100-Front-Top.ashx

:unamused:

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/-/medi...Products/ProductImages/LB100/LB100-Table.ashx

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #17,676 of 19,136
Built a rack for my SX-1250 due to the space issue mentioned here. That Pioneer beast sounds magnificent. One of things I was careful to do when I recapped it was where ever possible, I replaced electrolytic caps with film (if it would fit). If not a good fit, I used audio grade Nichicon. That effort has paid off in some of the most transparent, detailed sound I have heard. Pin point imaging also, many times on the outside edges of the speakers. All my other amps have been sold off in favor of the Pioneer.

Got a pic of that rack? I love the vintage Pioneer sound.................

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #17,677 of 19,136
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #17,678 of 19,136
Nice job..............super nice and a perfect fit.

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #17,679 of 19,136

What the hell is it? A Light Box? MAC's version of The Clapper?

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #17,680 of 19,136
What the hell is it? A Light Box? MAC's version of The Clapper?

On the McIntosh website you click on "Products" followed by "Merchandise". They sell all sorts of different items with McIntosh displayed on the item somewhere. They realize that nowadays a lot of people love displaying the fact they own certain "prestigious" brand name items. They make money & the items they sell become free advertisement for them. It's a win win proposition for them. They make money & free advertisement at the same time. I've posted the link to their "Merchandise" page below.

Check out how they introduce their "Merchandise" page :

MERCHANDISE
What better way to accentuate your McIntosh home audio or home theater system than with official McIntosh merchandise? Whether it be pieces to decorate your listening room or items to take with you when you leave home, you'll be sure to get the same high quality product you expect from McIntosh.

So, it's a display item to decorate your listening room for a mere $1,500

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/merchandise

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #17,682 of 19,136
I'm at the "small monster" end of the scale with my Pioneer SA3000, it fits on a Ikea YPPERLIG Shelving unit along with the rest of the chain and some non audio stuff. It was bought recapped so I had no choice in the caps used here is part of the listing -
"
The amplifier has been fully refurbished and restored, ensuring that it sounds as good as possible and runs trouble free for years to come.

Both power amplifiers have been rebuilt with new up rated filter capacitors, and high voltage film bypass capacitors to improve noise filtering through the rectifiers and power supplies.
Small signal capacitors have been upgraded to high quality WIMA film capacitors which won't deteriorate in the same why electrolytic capacitors age.
Fresh computer grade thermal compound has been applied to the output transistors and the external heatsinks have been cleaned.
Deteriorating resistors have been replaced with new.
Idle current and DC offset checked and set.
Pre-amp power supply rebuilt with new up rated Nichicon PW capacitors.
Voltage regulators replaced with new larger regulators to improve stability.
Phono pre-amp rebuilt with new Nichicon low leakage and Panasonic capacitors with small value capacitors being upgraded to film capacitors.
Phono pre-amp final stage transistors replaced with larger transistors to improve thermal stability at Class A.
Power pilot lamp converted to low voltage LED.
All pots and switches cleaned and re-lubricated.
Fascia deep cleaned and polished.

After this, the amplifier has been run in to allow the new parts to burn in."

I've only been listening to speakers for a couple of years, weird I know but I was brought up on headphones. I have to say I love what the pioneer kick's out more and more as every hour I listen.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #17,683 of 19,136
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #17,685 of 19,136
I'm at the "small monster" end of the scale with my Pioneer SA3000, it fits on a Ikea YPPERLIG Shelving unit along with the rest of the chain and some non audio stuff. It was bought recapped so I had no choice in the caps used here is part of the listing -

With the work done on this unit I have no doubt it will sound awesome. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back