Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #17,251 of 19,136
A few days ago, I received Beyerdynamic DT 880 Manufaktur 600 ohm. Have been "running them in" and spot listening. I purchased them, even though I am Beyer heavy, due to the great deal I found. Now with around 50 hours on them, my early impression is that these Beyers are balanced, have incredible imaging and pair well with the Pioneer SA 9800. What a great buy.

Happy,
r2

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #17,252 of 19,136
Want to try this with my modern avr, but don't know how to group them.
20170518_212514.jpg
20170518_212514.jpg

May 19, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #17,253 of 19,136
The only thing that could have made this post better is if you then told your daughter to get off your lawn. "But Dad, I live here." :)

I freely admit to despising cRap, Hippity-Hop and new age country, or as I call it "Hick-Hop". Of course, this attitude carries over in to what I buy and I will never ever buy Beats nor will I subscribe to the stupid music serviceTidal Bowl and all because of the ASSociation with cRap. And MQA? FTN!

I do not have a lawn as I live in Southern California and had to let it die because of the drought. :ksc75smile:

May 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #17,259 of 19,136
how's everybody doing here, on the vintage amplifier / receiver forum?

my Technics SA-500 has a couple of issues that will put it in for service. there is some "scratchiness" in the volume pot (that hasn't responded to a couple of applications of compressed air and contact cleaner). when I go to make a fine adjustment to the volume, I noticed today that a "pop" will be heard in the left speaker when moving the volume knob within that certain spot. hopefully, the volume control mechanism can be dis-assembled, cleaned, and then put back together (re-soldered back on?) if necessary.

the other area of concern has to do with the balance between left and right. and, this seems to be more noticeable with headphones rather than with the speakers engaged. there seems to be less output on the left channel. (which hints at the output transistor(s) in the left channel needing replacement).

i'm happy with the overall sound quality that this receiver delivers, but I thought it would be a good time for the tech to do some other maintenance work, while he's at it.

any thoughts as to any pitfalls to avoid or what should definitely be done at this time to this unit, before any specific work is ordered? (many are probably thinking: "replace the caps." yes. but with what type? in other words, should I go with anything other than OEM?) as far as I know, no work has ever been done to this receiver. (nor has anything ever been done to my SONY STR-6055).

this speaks to the original build-quality of these pieces. these two receivers that I own could've come with a 40-year parts warranty!

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #17,260 of 19,136

my Technics SA-500 has a couple of issues that will put it in for service. there is some "scratchiness" in the volume pot (that hasn't responded to a couple of applications of compressed air and contact cleaner). when I go to make a fine adjustment to the volume, I noticed today that a "pop" will be heard in the left speaker when moving the volume knob within that certain spot. hopefully, the volume control mechanism can be dis-assembled, cleaned, and then put back together (re-soldered back on?) if necessary.

the other area of concern has to do with the balance between left and right. and, this seems to be more noticeable with headphones rather than with the speakers engaged. there seems to be less output on the left channel. (which hints at the output transistor(s) in the left channel needing replacement).

i'm happy with the overall sound quality that this receiver delivers, but I thought it would be a good time for the tech to do some other maintenance work, while he's at it.

any thoughts as to any pitfalls to avoid or what should definitely be done at this time to this unit, before any specific work is ordered? (many are probably thinking: "replace the caps." yes. but with what type? in other words, should I go with anything other than OEM?) as far as I know, no work has ever been done to this receiver. (nor has anything ever been done to my SONY STR-6055).

this speaks to the original build-quality of these pieces. these two receivers that I own could've come with a 40-year parts warranty!

The most likely cause I can think of for your problem is that the solder connection from the volume pot to the circuit board is loose (intermittent). Have seen this many times in old receivers I have worked on. Probably needs to be re-flowed.

May 21, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #17,261 of 19,136

The next time my SA-828 has any issues or if I'm flushed with cash I want to modernize my speaker terminals to accept 10-gauge or 14/4 cables with banana plugs.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #17,262 of 19,136
The next time my SA-828 has any issues or if I'm flushed with cash I want to modernize my speaker terminals to accept 10-gauge or 14/4 cables with banana plugs.

plugging in your h/p's directly to your speaker taps should be approached with caution. there's the potential for you to permanently damage your hearing, if you aren't careful.

myself, I've just recently had the connection cables to my "can opener" (if you're not familiar with the product, google "can opener / vinyl flat") adapted to have spade connectors on the speaker connection end, so that I have the can opener connected to the speaker outs of my SONY vintage receiver. (although, honestly, the difference in the headphone out of the SONY, and connecting the can opener to the speaker outs, and then plugging-in the h/p to the can opener, is not that great). I believe the can opener uses a fairly high-value resistor (or resistors) in order to maintain a safe listening level. and, the STR-6055 already has an excellent headphone-out to begin with.

but, if you're planning on a direct connection between headphones and speaker outs, be careful. you need to protect your hearing. we all do. a lot of hearing damage is irreversible.

there are people here in this thread who are connecting directly to their speaker outs who can advise you further than I can.

in the meantime, enjoy your music, man.

May 23, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #17,264 of 19,136

K1030, ignore my previous post, as I think I completely mis-understood what you were talking about. you're talking about modding the speaker terminals in your SA-828 so that it will accept a thicker, lower-gauge speaker cable than what you can currently use.

o.k. got it.

don't know whether to blame my lack of reading comprehension or my poor eyesight. (or, both!) disregard and carry on. :)

May 23, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #17,265 of 19,136
K1030, ignore my previous post, as I think I completely mis-understood what you were talking about. you're talking about modding the speaker terminals in your SA-828 so that it will accept a thicker, lower-gauge speaker cable than what you can currently use.

o.k. got it.

don't know whether to blame my lack of reading comprehension or my poor eyesight. (or, both!) disregard and carry on. :)

Haha yeah I wouldn't dare put my headphones through these speaker terminals, the headphone output is a beast. I'm already legally blind which is partly why listening is my favorite activity so I do appreciate the heads up...I depend on my hearing more than the average joe. I have 12 gauge wire crammed stuffed like a drug mule in there now but I'd like to upgrade to get the best connection possible. Especially since I'm running about 35 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back