Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Aug 4, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #16,456 of 19,143

Thanks!
It still has the metal chassis but it has been painted white and the builder hand crafted a very nice wood base for it which he also painted white and blue. This unit was pulled out of a vintage Maggie console, rebuilt, upgraded to be standalone. The builder is a guy by the name of Dave Ricciardi. He's built and sold around a dozen or so amps so far.

The paint and trim work is awesome.  So.....'50s.

How is the SQ?  Compared to other amps?

Thanks,

r2

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #16,457 of 19,143
  The paint and trim work is awsome.

Thanks,

r2
The paint and trim work is awesome.  So.....'50s.

Thanks,

r2

Yeah he did a great job on paint and trim. He made some custom fabricated transformer covers and just did a great job giving it that 50's look. 

It has a beautiful sound and I'm really quite taken with it. He worked some magic on this amp for sure. The amp is dead quiet, SQ is really good yet it still has a lush tube sound, but I will need some time with it before I can pass final judgement. I just received it yesterday.

I can say I am very impressed with it so far. I have to admit I was expecting it to sound nice but so far I've been shocked at just how nice it really sounds.

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #16,458 of 19,143
Hi all.
New member here. I'm rekindling an interest in hifi after many years dormant. I have a burning question and this seems like the right place to ask it:

My system: I have a Logitech Tramsporter that I use as a DAC/preamp that has been modified with tubes. My amp is a Sony TA-4650 that I use only as a power amp. I bought it almost 40years ago-when I was 16! It is a vfet and is known for a 'tube-like' sound. So I guess I have a 'tubey' system? It all goes out to a pair of Totem Sttafs.

I'm looking for a wonderful, affordable headphone so I can listen to music in our small apartment around my family. I'm REALLY interested in the Audeze LCD2--I like a neutral-to-warm flat response, imaging, resolution, etc. Audeze is at the high end of what I can afford.

Would Audeze be a good match? Any others I should look into?

Oh, and I'm open to getting a head amp at some point.

Thanks!
Andrew

Aug 7, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #16,459 of 19,143
Hi all.
New member here. I'm rekindling an interest in hifi after many years dormant. I have a burning question and this seems like the right place to ask it:

My system: I have a Logitech Tramsporter that I use as a DAC/preamp that has been modified with tubes. My amp is a Sony TA-4650 that I use only as a power amp. I bought it almost 40years ago-when I was 16! It is a vfet and is known for a 'tube-like' sound. So I guess I have a 'tubey' system? It all goes out to a pair of Totem Sttafs.

I'm looking for a wonderful, affordable headphone so I can listen to music in our small apartment around my family. I'm REALLY interested in the Audeze LCD2--I like a neutral-to-warm flat response, imaging, resolution, etc. Audeze is at the high end of what I can afford.

Would Audeze be a good match? Any others I should look into?

Oh, and I'm open to getting a head amp at some point.

Thanks!
Andrew

Welcome!

Not a fan of planars in general and the LCD2 in particular.
Get a Senn HD650 for a 5th of the price or look for one of the Fostex TH-xxx massdrop series.
Or a bunch of other possibilities, Maybe a used HD800 or new ATH-W1000X?
Also check out the classifieds here, usually some good stuff around but do check for traders with decent feedback.
And no, I have no phones for sale at the moment. :wink:

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #16,460 of 19,143
I have Sennheiser HD 650 and Beyerdynamics T90.  I find both to sound good out of my vintage Pioneer amps.  The 650 is very warm with enough sparkle, the T90 brings more of everything, but you may find the treble too strong.  With my old age ears I am really enjoying the T90.

Having both gives me a choice in sound signature to go with my mood/music.  Price of both with careful shopping is not much different than the LCD cost.

YMMV,
r2

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #16,461 of 19,143
I have Sennheiser HD 650 and Beyerdynamics T90.  I find both to sound good out of my vintage Pioneer amps.  The 650 is very warm with enough sparkle, the T90 brings more of everything, but you may find the treble too strong.  With my old age ears I am really enjoying the T90.

Having both gives me a choice in sound signature to go with my mood/music.  Price of both with careful shopping is not much different than the LCD cost.

YMMV,
r2

Does that mean you have only @ pairs of phones R2?
If that's true I'm eating borh my hat bowtie!

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #16,462 of 19,143
Does that mean you have only @ pairs of phones R2?
If that's true I'm eating borh my hat bowtie!

No, I have others, but they are all mid and lower fi.  I am still scaling the TOL headphone ladder.  Just turned down a deal on LCD3, due to too much spending lately :frowning2:

I would like to get the love child of a HD 650 & T90 mating.  I am still not sure what the will be or when.  Suggestions?

r2

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #16,463 of 19,143
No, I have others, but they are all mid and lower fi.  I am still scaling the TOL headphone ladder.  Just turned down a deal on LCD3, due to too much spending lately :frowning2:

I would like to get the love child of a HD 650 & T90 mating.  I am still not sure what the will be or when.  Suggestions?

r2

Ah, ok, I was getting worried about you. :wink:

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #16,464 of 19,143
Ah, ok, I was getting worried about you.
wink.gif

Just thinking ... maybe I should sell some stuff, then I could get to TOL headphones quicker.

r2

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #16,467 of 19,143
Well, for valuable stuff I have that problem as well.
As I live in the EU Craig's list is not really an option when it comes to vintage 20 pounds receivers.
So for me it's a dedicated local hifi forum, Head-fi vor nearby Head-Fiers or ebay with pick-up only which slims the chances.
I could do eBay with shipping but then all risks for the buyer.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #16,468 of 19,143
ahess

I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD650 as your first hifi headphone.

Many of us have gone through dozens of more expensive headphones and still use them.

They're still my all around favorites after years of searching and five figures of headphone purchases.

They are particularly good with tubes and continue to get better with better gear.

They ultimately might not be your signature, but they're worth owning.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #16,469 of 19,143
ahess

Many of us have gone through dozens of more expensive headphones and still use them.

They're still my all around favorites after years of searching and five figures of headphone purchases.

They are particularly good with tubes and continue to get better with better gear.

No doubt, the 650's are my end game cans, and they sound phenomenal out of my 9090. I've heard most of the high end cans, and they all do something better than the 650's, but the way everything comes together on the 650's is just magic to me. I would like to hear the 800 S though, they sound interesting to me...

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #16,470 of 19,143

YMMV,
r2

@ahess

No doubt, the 650's are my end game cans, and they sound phenomenal out of my 9090. I've heard most of the high end cans, and they all do something better than the 650's, but the way everything comes together on the 650's is just magic to me. I would like to hear the 800 S though, they sound interesting to me...

Agree with all of you.

If you check my profile you'll see I had a bunch of phones, many $$ ones. There are also a bunch of $$ ones I auditioned but are not mentioned there.
Now I came down to my three favorite headphones, in no particular order:
$1200 TH-900 modded to $2300 LA-900
$2500 Oioneer SEM1
$250 HD650 (used to be $400 new though)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back