Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 28, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #16,398 of 19,143
Ouch! Lol. Not going there man

Why? If she can get out of the kitchen it simply means the chain is too long, no?
Pure logic as the Vulcans would say. I'm a rational man, maybe a tad oldfashioned but very rational.

No, seriously, I don't smoke, don't drik and don't check out the ladies.
In fact I have only one negative trait. I'm a damn good liar.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #16,400 of 19,143
AppleheadMay and SirMarc your systems are looking good!!!

AppleheadMay, as others have said, 1.6mV is enough gain for a MM phono section but it's less that a typical MM by almost half. So yes, you will need to turn up the volume much more than you will for your DAC. This is normal.

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #16,402 of 19,143
Waiting for the PC police to swoop in lol

You were the one that started it, it'm gonna tell them all about you! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

@AppleheadMay and @SirMarc your systems are looking good!!!

AppleheadMay, as others have said, 1.6mV is enough gain for a MM phono section but it's less that a typical MM by almost half. So yes, you will need to turn up the volume much more than you will for your DAC. This is normal.

Yep, I remember from last time you told me Rob, just needed some confirmation.
I rememeber your MC is about 3.4 and the MM on the TT-15 I want is 3.6.
Am I right that typical DAC or CD output us V and not mV? Or is that totally differently measured and not comparable? Seems like a big gap to me.
I was playing a record and started the same song at more or less the same time on the Mac.
I switched between Phono and Aux and I can tell you I nearly dirtied my pants. 
biggrin.gif

The SX-1250 can seriously make them Infinity woofers pump without braking a sweat!

Glad all my three vintage amps have a phone input so I don't need to use AUX. Not MC or MM, just plain old simple Phono.
My modern Marantz has an MC/MM option. Gonna try that out as well though I'm afraid 1.6mV might be too much for an MC input?
Typically 0.3 mV, no? Am I not going to blow the MC input or isn't it going to be insanely loud on MC?

I'm also gonna test my two DL-160 cartridges vs my new DL-110 that is coming in today to see if the vintage ones are still any good.
As never having really owned a serious turntable myself it's all a bit new to me.
For now I notice a little more dark and slightly less bright sound form the turntable than the DAC.

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #16,403 of 19,143

You were the one that started it, it'm gonna tell them all about you! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yep, I remember from last time you told me Rob, just needed some confirmation.
I remember your MC is about 3.4 and the MM on the TT-15 I want is 3.6.

My Ortofon 2M Red has 5.5mv output so that is why 1.6mv seemed so low to me.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #16,404 of 19,143
I have a MM, the Clearaudio Maestro, that is around 3 mV. It's not an MC. I have never seen any MC, even the high output ones, with that much output. On my VPI I have a LOMC, a Benz LP-S MR, that is 0.3 mV.

And yes, a CD player's output is around 2 V. That's one reason (but not the only one) that one cannot connect a TT directly into a line level input like AUX - a phono cartridge doesn't have anywhere near enough output on it's own, and it also requires the RIAA equalization that every phono preamp has built into it, in addition to the extra gain.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #16,407 of 19,143
5.5mV???

Maaan, they sold you a cartridge for the very old people that are already halfway deaf! ;P

The pretty much describes me.  I just turned 60!

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #16,409 of 19,143
I have a MM, the Clearaudio Maestro, that is around 3 mV. It's not an MC. I have never seen any MC, even the high output ones, with that much output. On my VPI I have a LOMC, a Benz LP-S MR, that is 0.3 mV.

And yes, a CD player's output is around 2 V. That's one reason (but not the only one) that one cannot connect a TT directly into a line level input like AUX - a phono cartridge doesn't have anywhere near enough output on it's own, and it also requires the RIAA equalization that every phono preamp has built into it, in addition to the extra gain.

I ust have Alzheimer.
That's the second time I think yours was MC and you have to remind me it's MM.

Forgive me if I have a moment of Alzheimer again but wasn't it you that told me a 1.6mV would do fine on the AUX of a vintage receiver?
Pretty sure somebody did here. Man I get confused at times. Long term memory fine but short term plays me parts the last 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back