Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #15,091 of 19,142
I would offer $300-350.00, but I don't think this person will like your offer, but that's me.  I'm saying this because I picked up an un-restored SX-1250 for $600.00 from a local audio enthusiast last year.  The $600 asking price seems unrealistic to me, but the thing with ebay is that it tends to reach a lot of potential buyers; some of which may be willing to pay that asking price.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #15,092 of 19,142
I was thinking the same with the offer.  I was willing to give him 350-400 since its a clean unit that i don't have worry or work on.

is pio one of the more expensive brands.  Seems like resell value is high for the pio compared to the other brands.

I'm a pio fanboy.  They still make good ****.  HU in my car, best bang for buck unit out there, my pio plasma that I got back in 04", still running like a champ, and that thing has been on for basically 18hr a day for the past 4yrs.  color is like **** but its still ticking.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #15,093 of 19,142
I must be lucky.  I just got an absolute mint (unrestored) SX-1250 for $350.  I now have two of them.  The first one I got for $335 at a pawn shop but it is not as mint cosmetically as the recent acquisition.  The newest one does not even have any dirt inside!  No nicks or dings anywhere, Works too. Unbelievable. I completely restored my first one so won't be parting with that for sure.  Now have to decide if I need two 1250s.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #15,094 of 19,142
I'm a Pioneer nut as well, with 5 of them in service.  Paid $400 for the SX-1050 in mind condition and $270 for my entire Spec system.  Completely luck and being at right place at the right time.  Glad I answered the phone that time..................

Seems his $600 is a bit steep.  Let us know what he says.....

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #15,095 of 19,142
Huge Pioneer enthusiast here too obviously. Speakerbox a mint SX-1250 for $350 is amazing! Since you have a fully restored one, i know what I would do...take the faceplate and all the externals of the mint one, transplant those onto the restored one, and then sell the unrestored one with the now slightly less mint cosmetics and you will still come out way ahead!

That is, unless you have a place for another system :D

Oct 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #15,096 of 19,142
Huge Pioneer enthusiast here too obviously. Speakerbox a mint SX-1250 for $350 is amazing! Since you have a fully restored one, i know what I would do...take the faceplate and all the externals of the mint one, transplant those onto the restored one, and then sell the unrestored one with the now slightly less mint cosmetics and you will still come out way ahead!

That is, unless you have a place for another system
biggrin.gif

That is certainly one of the options I am considering.  My next step is to do a check of the internals and make sure there are no cracked solder joints on the regulator board (the Achilles Heel of the 1250).  If that board goes out it may well take others with it so want to make sure it is sound.  But by the look of things it seems it was not used much so am expecting the solder joints will be sound.  A couple of switches will need DeoxIt but most are clean.  It really is like a museum piece.

Did I mention I also have a SX750 in excellent shape (given to me) I am trying to decide what to do with?  Debating if it should replace my Sherwood 8900A for HP use.  Good problems to have I guess.  The debate goes on....

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #15,097 of 19,142
@ SpeakerBox................add a second system somewhere else.  Garage?  Home office?  Bathroom? 
blink.gif

If I can find the "need" for 7 systems in my house, you can find 2!    (yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts)

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #15,098 of 19,142
  @ SpeakerBox................add a second system somewhere else.  Garage?  Home office?  Bathroom? 
blink.gif

If I can find the "need" for 7 systems in my house, you can find 2!    (yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts)

Considering that also - but already have my main system with Rowland amps, man cave with SX1250, and Bedroom with Sherwood 8900A.  Not saying I could not add more though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #15,099 of 19,142
  I'm a Pioneer nut as well, with 5 of them in service.  Paid $400 for the SX-1050 in mind condition and $270 for my entire Spec system.  Completely luck and being at right place at the right time.  Glad I answered the phone that time..................

You are indeed super lucky! I think everything you own has doubled or tripled since you got it.

That is, unless you have a place for another system
biggrin.gif

I've done this maneuver and was really happy with it. You get the piece you want in the shape you want and your wife doesn't have to fret about your growing collection haha.

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #15,101 of 19,142

I think you forgot a 0 from that $270 for the Spec system...  $270!!! you didnt purchase it from the guy.... you stole it from him.....

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #15,103 of 19,142

I think you forgot a 0 from that $270 for the Spec system...  $270!!! you didnt purchase it from the guy.... you stole it from him.....

So true.  There's a full rack Spec system available local for $2500 and he can't find anyone to pay even $2000 (been listed since July), with TWO Spec amps in the deal!  I'm so tempted to pool money with some buds and buy it. 

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #15,104 of 19,142
I was doing a dynamic range 'experiment' on some vinyl to see what the difference was between the average and peaks. With Fleetwood Mac 'Rumors" playing, it was averaging just 25W steady state, noise floor at ~.001w and lowest discernible noise levels around .1w, with peaks at 600W, so that gives a dynamic range around 57dB and dynamic headroom of 13dB. That's some back of the envelope math, so forgive me if it's rounded. Most of that power was bass, so I didn't need hearing protection, but if I put it into a clipping regime (steady state power above about 60w would clip the peaks on vinyl, 100W SS would clip 50%) then I would need hearing protection because clipping really hurts my ears.

Needless to say, I was really happy with those results. The dynamic range and headroom is what I think makes vinyl special. Sometimes I just want to be kicked by the music and cd's can't or don't do it.The noise is what can make it annoying though. -57dB is discernible noise at max power and keeps the background from ever being completely black.
On other inputs, cd, digital, etc, there was no noise. It was just too small to hear or measure even at max volume. So CD's can probably do a better dynamic range, but for whatever reason rarely do. Go figure.

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #15,105 of 19,142

So true.  There's a full rack Spec system available local for $2500 and he can't find anyone to pay even $2000 (been listed since July), with TWO Spec amps in the deal!  I'm so tempted to pool money with some buds and buy it. 

man, do i need to take a road trip up to oregon... .hmmmmm... only a 10hr drive....
rolleyes.gif

on a side note.  the 950 i wanted to get from ebay, the guy wanted 600 firm.... He must be smoking crack.  I told him after fees and shipping hes only gonna net about what I offered. people.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back