cable recommendation for hd600
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jcn3

1000+ Head-Fier
i'm currently using a blue dragon v2 and like it -- the build quality is fantastic.

i'm interested in checking out a silver cable, specificially either a headphile senn v2 or a moon audio silver dragon v2.

the headphile's advantage is price -- it is significantly cheaper than the sd. however, i'm curious about it's build quality. based on the pics on the headphile site, it appears that the cable is spliced with a stock connector. if that's true, that would be a significant disadvantage. can anyone clarify this issue.

the sd is constructed with new connectors. i'm assuming the build quality of the sd is as good my bd. now whether it's worth $100 bucks more is the question.

thanks for your input.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 5
Haven't used the Blue Dragon but the Silver Dragon v2 is surely no joke. Love the detail and speed it gives to the HD600. Once I had gotten my Ear 90 amp I thought my HD600 sounded a bit too sharp around the mids but the SD took away that, in my ears, pushy sound. Made it all more smooth and detailed, very detailed on vocals and instruments, making it sound very clear but not in a fatiguing way.

The Ear90 (solid state amplifier, both unbalanced/balanced version of it with various other improvements and mods possible) itself I'm using with my HD600 separates the sound a bit more, making it less "muddy", a very neutral sound overall, since I've got the balanced version of it it's a bit smoother in the sound than the unbalanced one, but more accurate. The cable and the amp doesn't kill the bass either, added slightly more in fact, or maybe just better quality and control over the bass. I haven't done much listening on the amp without the SD, but the amp added the extra bass and the cable got better control of it.

I'm not that good describing how it sounds, but damn it made them a whole lot better than how I was used to be hearing them with the stock cable. My setup sounds nice with all kinds of music, it really shines on acoustic rock, classic and vocals though.

Is it worth the upgrade from the Blue Dragon? Can't say, but it was well worth it IMO from the stock cable.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 5
I can't give direct comments on the Moon Audio cables, but I have an older Headphile v2 for my 650's. At last weekend's Milwaukee meet I got the chance to listen to it followed immediately by a pair of 650's with a 10ft Cardas cable, and to say there was a difference is putting it mildly. The 650's really opened up, bass was tight and fast and the highs were quite amazing. I was not the only one to recognize the difference. It is on my to buy list because of that comparison.

That doesn't answer your question regarding the 600's I know, but if you had never considered Cardas you may want to.

A_Sr.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Revelation Audio Labs also makes a nice, solid-core silver cable, the cryogenically treated Silver Reference. I picked one up for the HD650, and what a big, completely positive difference: wide open, smooth, well-textured, w/deep, controlled bass. I had the Moon Silver Dragon V2 wired to a pair of K701, and it worked very well. If you like detail, extension and ultimate clarity, go for the silver! : )

The RAL cable is a bit more flexible than the Moon. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to a/b the two yet.

The Cardas worked well on my HD600 of yore, but after hearing the RAL and Moon cables, Cardas has gone to the bottom of my list of preferences.

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 5
Having had 2 different BD and a SD in my dynamic days, I actually liked my custom cable from Alex (www.apuresound.com) better with my hd600. And still would, except for this thing called electrostatics...
orphsmile.gif

Oh, and my SD were repaired twice because the 'molding' failed... not sure if this has been corrected or not, but it was REALLY irritating at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back