Buying Headphones Today. Please advise.
Aug 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
 From experience Grados are way too bright for electronic, they become uncomfortable quickly and lack the lower end.

Higher end, 225i+ grados turn out more balanced.

You sound like the rest of the world that haven't even heard Grado. They are extremely comfortable and give great bass. They're a Open can, you can't get much more bass.

Only gripe with Ultrasone is that the cups don't lay flat and won't lay flat on your chest when around the neck.

Oh, If you can find a Deal for Shure 940's, that would be sweet. Lay flat, great bass extension and awesome sound. I've seen them go for around $210 new

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 31
Aug 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Higher end, 225i+ grados turn out more balanced.

You sound like the rest of the world that haven't even heard Grado. They are extremely comfortable and give great bass. They're a Open can, you can't get much more bass.

Only gripe with Ultrasone is that the cups don't lay flat and won't lay flat on your chest when around the neck.

Oh, If you can find a Deal for Shure 940's, that would be sweet. Lay flat, great bass extension and awesome sound. I've seen them go for around $210 new

I've owned SR-60i and I currently own SR-125. There is noticeable bass and it sure is accurate, but you'll be nowhere close to hearing the bassline of electronic songs.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 31
Hey man this is not fair..
Of course it looks dumb,this guy doesn't have a single hair on his head to cover the ''void''....
biggrin.gif

It doesn't look the same to someone who actually has some hair...
bigsmile_face.gif

Is this you on the photo?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Hey man this is not fair..
Of course it looks dumb,this guy doesn't have a single hair on his head to cover the ''void''....
biggrin.gif

It doesn't look the same to someone who actually has some hair...
bigsmile_face.gif

Is this you on the photo?

Lol you really seem determined to prove me wrong.
I have longer than average hair and it looked pretty much the same since I had to extend the headband about halfway. And unless his gf has puffy curled hair it's what it's going to look like.
If OP thinks it isn't that bad well I can't not recommend them, I did really enjoy them.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
Lol you really seem determined to prove me wrong.

Not really..
wink.gif

I just want to emphasize in sound quality which this baby produce..
If someone wants looks then he/she should go and buy Beats or something,but if someone really cares about his/hers audio quality then this headphone is the way to go for electronica...

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #25 of 31
thanks for the pic. they do look stupid i think. so wide, my girl wouldnt wear them i dont think. i am now considering the shure 940's. how would the sound of the shure940's compare to the ultrasone 580s.

do you know where i could see a home photo of the m50's on. still considering them. looking for suggestions still and comments on the shure 940's. for style and sound. other than that i think the phiatons 400 are considered they look nicer than the beats but havent heard much on sq/

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #26 of 31
Ultrasones have a very specific coloration to the sound and I don't think it would be wise to get them for someone who listens to all genres without knowing she likes that sound.  They don't have a smooth response, they're highly colored to be "fun". 

I think your best bet would be the Audio Technica portable woodies, the ESW9 would work with many genres and has a sound signature that I think is safe for someone who listens to multiple genres.  They're also pretty, she's bound to love how they look, and she'll really stand out from the Beats mob. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #27 of 31
Do not go Sennheiser HD-598.  They will sound recessed, veiled, slightly dark, and they are as you mentioned open.

Try:

Brainwavz M2  ( These are in-ear headphones much like earbuds, but they seal the ear canal )  I have a pair and they are awesome for the price
$60
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-BWAVZ-M2-M2-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004IK1VBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313946211&sr=8-1 

Creative Aurvana Live!
$99
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313945865&sr=8-1

Audio Technica ATH-M50
$150
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/audio-technica-ath-m50.php

Sony MDR-XB700  ( These are great for her tastes, but they are big which is not all that girly )
$140
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sony-mdr-xb700.php

Remember that her tastes are bass emphasized so a neutral sounding headphone is out of the question.

Any of the above headphones will be awesome for her I guarantee it.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
Ultrasones have a very specific coloration to the sound and I don't think it would be wise to get them for someone who listens to all genres without knowing she likes that sound.  They don't have a smooth response, they're highly colored to be "fun". 

I think your best bet would be the Audio Technica portable woodies, the ESW9 would work with many genres and has a sound signature that I think is safe for someone who listens to multiple genres.  They're also pretty, she's bound to love how they look, and she'll really stand out from the Beats mob. 

My problems with these headphones are two fold:
1.)  They are highly reproduced ( faked ) by china
2.)  They are not all that comfortable for long listening sessions and rarely make anyones top 10 list.

I will say if they fit right and you buy them from a reputable dealer they are a decent enough can.

Taking a look at the frequency reponse you can see that the low frequencies are not extended well and roll of sharply.  This is not a bass lovers can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back