Buying first "Audiophile" headphones.
Sep 20, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 20
Heya,

I would warn, the T50RP has pretty light bass coming out of the box compared to even a Grado with Lcush pads. I have the T50RP, SR60 and SR325, and with the Lcush pads, the SR60 and SR325 had more bass and impact. The T50RP sounds like 80% mids pretty much. It extends low and can hit some low tones, but it just doesn't have volume behind those low tones. It gives it an almost hollow sound initially. They have good detail and the mids are great. They didn't do anything special on my Schiit Lyr, so providing a ton of amplification didn't do anything beyond a normal amount of juice for the headphone. If you get the T50RP, I think it's near mandatory that it gets modded for bass. I'm thinking of selling mine at this point.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
Heya,

I would warn, the T50RP has pretty light bass coming out of the box compared to even a Grado with Lcush pads. I have the T50RP, SR60 and SR325, and with the Lcush pads, the SR60 and SR325 had more bass and impact. The T50RP sounds like 80% mids pretty much. It extends low and can hit some low tones, but it just doesn't have volume behind those low tones. It gives it an almost hollow sound initially. They have good detail and the mids are great. They didn't do anything special on my Schiit Lyr, so providing a ton of amplification didn't do anything beyond a normal amount of juice for the headphone. If you get the T50RP, I think it's near mandatory that it gets modded for bass. I'm thinking of selling mine at this point.

Very best,

I agree with this....

In order to get the T50RP's to sound great...you must mod them. Out of the box they are ok...but just ok. Once you mod them it is truly puzzling just how great they can sound.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 20
Not so sure if it is good to recommend headphones that require modification as a person's 'first audiophile headphones'... 
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #19 of 20

[size=medium]
BD DT880 is back up. $350 with shipping. Easily the most expensive option. But is it worth it? 

I really don't want to mod anything with these headphones.

So, worth it? Sennheisers are about $250 I think, AD700 is about $150, and Allesandro is $100.

If the only difference is subjective rather then a clear cut difference in quality I think I'm going to aim more towards the lower priced ones. -.-;

I wish it was easy enough to be able to say, hey, THIS is the best headphone for the music you listed. Damn subjectiveness of tone. 

So basically, do the prices reflect the quality of these headphones at all? Or is (just an example) the AD700 on par with or better than the more expensive Sennheisers. 

If it's all completely subjective, I guess there's no reason not to start with the cheaper stuff and work my way up.
[/size]

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #20 of 20
Alessandro MS1i are a wonderful set of headphones for the price of only $110 with free shipping worldwide. You can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back